Beginners and Beyond

WednesDAILIES: If load load created the problem, load will solve it (Read 36 times)

RunningOnSand

he should be cooking dinner with the right paw at the same time

Big grin

Good morning, runners and swimmers and lifters and bikers and resters!

We are receiving more snow, have been for a few hours, but it's that lovely fluffy big snowflake kind that is falling gently from the sky. There are certain things, like Cyber's run experience this morning, that puts you in a good mood. These snowflakes are one of those for me.

I have a rest day today. Not really much going on.

Oh, FS, static stretching (i.e. yoga or moves where you don't move around a ton) is best done on warm muscles--so after your run. Foam rolling can be done before or after or both. If you want to do official stretching before your run, it's best to do dynamic movements.

DavePNW

At my desk, reading about clementines' vitamin C contents (while eating a clementine) and how it helps your body absorb the iron runners need in greater quantities than the general population.

Oh, that's right, that's not what my boss pays me for. 

Right? He pays you to read and post in the B&B dailies.

Joined the treadmill brigade today. I did actually make it to work, I used my wife's 4WD again since she doesn't have to go anywhere today. I am not sure I could have gotten out of our neighborhood without it, although the rest of the roads were fine. The mill was a grind, exacerbated by the fact that I forgot my headphones. I never run with music outside, but it would have been helpful today. Plus my wife's car does not have 19 plastic water bottles left over from races like my car, so I had no water. Which again would have been normal for an outside run, but would have been nice to have today. Although was a good excuse to pause the run for a couple water breaks. Anyway, got my 12 miles done, so it's done.

Dave

sdWhiskers

5 miles plus strides in the dark this morning. But it felt sooo warm! 55 vs the low 40s the past week. Last 2 miles were wtf into the wind. We have a "winter storm" coming in this afternoon which means 0.5 inch rain and 1000 traffic accidents during the evening commute.

My leg/knee/calf pain seems to finally be getting better. Massage and stretching of the calf seems to be helping a million times better than all those silly hip strengthening exercises that the PT gave me

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Big grin

Good morning, runners and swimmers and lifters and bikers and resters!

We are receiving more snow, have been for a few hours, but it's that lovely fluffy big snowflake kind that is falling gently from the sky. There are certain things, like Cyber's run experience this morning, that puts you in a good mood. These snowflakes are one of those for me.

I have a rest day today. Not really much going on.

Oh, FS, static stretching (i.e. yoga or moves where you don't move around a ton) is best done on warm muscles--so after your run. Foam rolling can be done before or after or both. If you want to do official stretching before your run, it's best to do dynamic movements.

Thanks! Yeah I do yoga stretches.

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

lindasaffell

Fighting senescence

That pup is my new guru.  Heck, if he can get on the 'mill then, so can I!

Upper body strength day for me today, and more yoga.  THE SUN CAME OUT!!  Have a great day, everyone!

Happy Garmin newbie

Renewing my interest in running, sloooowly

Cyberic

Yes. I haven't felt the shooting pain down the back of my leg but I have a hip-groin-glute thing going on, a remedy of which thus far has escaped me. I would love to get that rectified before spring but I'm at a loss on how to proceed. Maybe I'll go visit my sports doc. I haven't been in to see her since my DNF at the monumental.

I'm just throwing this around, but Myrtl routine? I think you do the standing exercices, but maybe the ground exercices would help. Not saying we have the same issue, but personnally, when I'm hurting in those areas, I can't wait until the evening to do my 4 exercises on all fours: donkey kicks, fire hydrants, leg extended behind swing from side to side, and the best one is the sideways legs rotations. I do 15 of each, and for the rotations it's 15 clockwise and 15 couterclockwise.

Those have been a revelation for me. I could never run like I do if I did not do that routine like 4-5 evenings per week. It takes about 5 minutes.

Baboon

delicate flower

Although was a good excuse to pause the run for a couple water breaks. Anyway, got my 12 miles done, so it's done.

FYI Strava counts stoppage time on a treadmill.  It's annoying.

<3

Cyberic

Easy fix: Edit your Strava activity and uncheck "treadmill". Save.

DavePNW

Huh. I just log treadmill runs manually. I have no footpod or anything.

Dave

onemile

Huh. I just log treadmill runs manually. I have no footpod or anything.

I use my watch in 'indoor run' mode.  It's wildly inaccurate but I don't really care.  I usually just fix the total mileage in RA.

Yesterday for my run at the indoor track, I hit lap each time I went around.  1 lap on the innermost lane is 445.6 meters (measured and certified for the marathon there) which rounds up to .28 miles.  For the warm up laps, it was pretty close (.27 for most of them). But then for the tempo miles, it measured .23 miles per lap for most of the laps (I fixed it in my RA log).

I think it's all based on arm swing.

DavePNW

There are people on gym treadmills who seem to be doing comparable workouts.

Dave

Baboon

delicate flower

Easy fix: Edit your Strava activity and uncheck "treadmill". Save.

Well spank my ass and call me Sally.

I see your miles team lost by 0.56 miles last week.     Not that I am complaining. 

<3

Cyberic

I see your miles team lost by 0.56 miles last week.     Not that I am complaining. 

Not my fault 

LRB

I'm just throwing this around, but Myrtl routine? I think you do the standing exercices, but maybe the ground exercices would help. Not saying we have the same issue, but personnally, when I'm hurting in those areas, I can't wait until the evening to do my 4 exercises on all fours: donkey kicks, fire hydrants, leg extended behind swing from side to side, and the best one is the sideways legs rotations. I do 15 of each, and for the rotations it's 15 clockwise and 15 couterclockwise.

Those have been a revelation for me. I could never run like I do if I did not do that routine like 4-5 evenings per week. It takes about 5 minutes.

I do myrtle. Up and down. I do everything really, which adds to the frustration.

Baboon

delicate flower

Not my fault 

We're lucky to finally have dropped our deadbeat 0 mileage guy.  He cost us two wins.  Starting 40 miles in the hole each week is hard to overcome.  Why the hell sign up for the game and then not bother to post any miles or respond to any messages?

<3