Beginners and Beyond

2020 Dailies Day 154 (Read 29 times)

LRB

LRB

Welp, the Brooksie Way Half Marathon (September 27th) is going virtual. This is huge because it is an anchor race for so many people training for October marathons, and a goal race. Blerg.

onemile

Welp, the Brooksie Way Half Marathon (September 27th) is going virtual. This is huge because it is an anchor race for so many people training for October marathons, and a goal race. Blerg.

DavePNW

Probably the least surprising news of the day, but still every time one of these comes out, it’s another smack in the face.

Dave

DavePNW

I have one double espresso and one English Muffin (don't know if you have those but they're about the size of a small hamburger bun, and although a bit denser than bread, still more bread than muffin.) 

Yes we have them here, among other things it’s what we use for our Eggs Benedict and Egg McMuffins. But I believe England does not have English muffins.

Dave

Half Crazy K 2.0

Yea, the running club I belong to sent out an e-mail that everything is cancelled through August 31 (group runs & races). Baltimore City had apparently revoked permits for all events over 250 people through that date, so they followed. And sommehow the Baltimore Running Festival thinks they can have 20,000+ people gather in mid-October.

LRB

Probably the least surprising news of the day, but still every time one of these comes out, it’s another smack in the face.

On a scale of 1 to 10, with 1 being not surprised at all and 10 being floored, I was at about an 8. I guess I am living in La La Land. 🤷‍♂️

DavePNW

On a scale of 1 to 10, with 1 being not surprised at all and 10 being floored, I was at about an 8. I guess I am living in La La Land. 🤷‍♂️

You and that person who posted in the 2020 group.

Dave

LRB

The Freep is exactly 3 weeks later with 20 times the number of participants than Brooksie (that's not actual - just a number I pulled out of the air but it's a lot more). It was my belief (perhaps foolishly) that if the Freep is a go, that other thing a week before it would be too. Shit.

DavePNW

Yea, the running club I belong to sent out an e-mail that everything is cancelled through August 31 (group runs & races). Baltimore City had apparently revoked permits for all events over 250 people through that date, so they followed. And sommehow the Baltimore Running Festival thinks they can have 20,000+ people gather in mid-October.

They won’t.

Dave

DavePNW

The Freep is exactly 3 weeks later with 20 times the number of participants than Brooksie (that's not actual - just a number I pulled out of the air but it's a lot more). It was my belief (perhaps foolishly) that if the Freep is a go, that other thing a week before it would be too. Shit.

It’s not. 

Sorry if I am being a dick about all this; I have just completely written off anything for the fall (big races at least), I guess my way of coping and avoiding disappointment when it happens.

Dave

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

The CRIM 10 miler canceled too.

Damaris

Half Crazy K 2.0

Sorry if I am being a dick about all this; I have just completely written off anything for the fall (big races at least), I guess my way of coping and avoiding disappointment when it happens.

This is pretty much my thinking. I think it's a bit irresponsible for the races to keep promoting they are on for October, unless they are planning on offering refunds when the permit gets yanked. Way back in March, the first weekend when races started cancelling here, some smaller events made lots of social media posts that they were still on and inviting those who had been registered for the canceclled race to do theirs. Maybe 2 days later, all had to cancel.

LRB

It’s not. 

It doesn't bother me. I totally get it. It's fine. 👍

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

I agree and you are not being a dick.

But people will whine: but Bryce Canyon had its races this last weekend. We get it. That is also a tiny tiny race in a place that can be called nowhere.

Damaris