Beginners and Beyond

Sundown HM RR where I failed. (Read 134 times)

Bin Running

Jay, thanks.

Dave, hoping to learnt what is wrong. Maybe I didnt take coffee. Hmm

Margo, yes. It's a special race. I can't imagine those doing the full.

2015 Races

2XU HM - 29 Mar

SheCan

Bin, I know you're disappointed in not meeting your goals, but you really  have a decent time, and you successfully completed another HM.  Love the pictures.... you at least LOOK happy!  Yum@ treating yourself to a good meal the next morning.

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

Coffee is a must, regardless of the time of day of the race :-)

By the way, the winner at my race yesterday ran an 18:18 5K with a headband.  I chickened out on the headband because I was afraid it might make me warmer.  My bad.

Jay, thanks.

Dave, hoping to learnt what is wrong. Maybe I didnt take coffee. Hmm

Margo, yes. It's a special race. I can't imagine those doing the full.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

Gustav1

Fear is a Liar

Good job Bin! I would love to run a night race!

Maybe the food you had might have been too salty , which made you thirsty , which could have given you the side stitches.

I'm so vegetarian I don't even eat animal crackers!

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

Nice job in some tough conditions, and congratulations on the sub 2.  Racing longer distance races really asks a lot of your body, and when you throw in time to recover from the first and time to taper for the second, you're really not looking at a lot of time to train.  As you mentioned, it was tough squeezing in some of the miles for this one.  That stuff happens, but between that and the conditions, that probably has a lot to do with why you didn't get the result you wanted.  Just stay consistent and your results will continue to improve.

Trying to find some more hay to restock the barn

Love the Half

What would lead you to believe you can PR when it's hot and humid?

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

From my perspective - SLOW runner perspective - 1:54 sure does not sound like Fail to me!  Congrats on your half.  Sorry you did not get the goals you wanted, but you still did great, IMHO.  Nice report and nice photos.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

No more marathons

Bin, the only failure is to never try - and you are way beyond that.

We all know that you can't PR every time out - but it's still OK to have that as the goal.  Otherwise the race is just another long training run.  Nice job.

Boston 2014 - a 33 year journey

Lordy,  I hope there are tapes. 

He's a leaker!

Bin Running

Cherie, I am happy that's it's over.. haa.. thanks

Awood, I just thought of the coffee effect after reading penguins thread and cherie enjoying her coffee.. Don't ditch the headband next time.. it works!

Gustav, that could be a reason.. will take note of that... I had to stopped at every water point while I only alternate on last HM.

So_IM_aRunner, thanks.. Hope to persevere.

LTH, I do hope you can chimp in Really value your experience.. Abt the weather, it is actually cooler than what I normally run but humidity could be higher.. I lived in the tropic where heat and humditity is always high. So, in a way, I am trained in these conditions.. I am only 15mths into serious running and felt I could run faster in my last HM.. In my mind, 8 weeks of training (I did set my highest mileage) and a HM which I think I could be a little faster, leads me to think I have this.. But in fact I didn't.. Hence the disappointment.. The only plus point I took away is I didn't walk even if I wanted to..

Snapshot of my weather at 9am

Temperature: 86 °F
                    Comfort Level: 99 °F
                    Dew point: 79 °F
                    Pressure: 29.74 "Hg
                    Humidity: 79%
                    Wind: 6 mph from 60° East-northeastDirection West-southwest
                    Last update: Mon 09:00 SGT

Scotty, thanks, buddy.. I learn a lot abt my race when I write (or attempt to) a RR..

Still bluesky, thanks mate...

2015 Races

2XU HM - 29 Mar

fitfatboy

More cowbell!

Congratulations Bin.  Some days are better than others.  I've had a few HM's where I blew up about 6 miles in.  It just goes that way sometimes when you race, especially when the conditions are more humid or you are running at a different time than you are used to.

One constructive thing I'd suggest, and I was thinking this in the days leading up to your race.  Make goal C just to finish the race, regardless of time.  If you blow up in the middle of a race, you never know what opportunity might present itself.  In one race, it was slowing down to talk to another runner and help her get through the last 4 miles of her first HM.  In another, it was learning more about myself by having to win an unexpectedly difficult battle just to finish.  With all the work you put in, the PR's will come...of that I'm reasonably sure.

STILL HAVING FUN!!!

LRB

It is incredibly difficult to PR in a half marathon so soon after setting a PR in one.  Also, with a dew point of 79, it's any wonder you did as well as you did!

Me thinks you are being too hard on yourself, this was not a race or conditions to PR in.

Bin Running

Fitfatboy, thanks.. Will now make to finish as Goal X...

LRB, thanks a lot.. I guess the condition is tougher than I thought.. we learn everyday..

Reading my regular penguins thread remind me that I should take deep breath while having stitch.. I seem to have forgotten abt this technique during the run..

2015 Races

2XU HM - 29 Mar

Dad on the run.

Great job on your HM. You didn't set a PR but that's ok and at 79 dewpoint I could see why! That's some really sticky weather.

Chasing the sub 20 5K.

Bin Running

Jimmy, Thanks.. Will try to keep to it.. Showing the dew point/weather is not to justify the condition of the race.. My point is that I always trained at dewpoint above 75.. so I am not sure what is the dewpoint during the race but it should be abt the same as my normal run.

2015 Races

2XU HM - 29 Mar

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

272 out of 7,371.  I'd say that is an incredible accomplishment, Bin.  Funny stat that you beat 99% of the women.  Room for improvement.