The Bike Shop

new ride (Read 322 times)

yeah, last night i began scouring the net for bikes and i think i found one that will satisfy. its a motorbacon. specs i get paid friday!

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Nice looking bike and nice price...though if it were me I think I'd spend a hair more for 105 or SRAM Apex.  They have some nice rides with a mix of 105 and Tiagra or full SRAM.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

i originally only wanted a barebones ride with a few gears and i definitely didnt want to spend over 500, but i knew the one thing i wanted for sure was the brake/shifter combo lever. i almost settled on the 549 record but i figured since shipping is included i could get the grand record that has different wheels, 3 more gears, and the color i want.

i definitely could get something better, i just dont want to do like my first bike purchase and get more than i need. for the same price i could get a gravity with tiagra, i just dont like the frame geometry they use, my trek has similar curves and i want to try something different.

that is unless you want to talk me out of it. Wink

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I think I'd look at this or this.

~ Sarah Kay

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Or watch eBay.  There have been some serious nice bikes on there for a real steal.

~ Sarah Kay

those would be fun to ride. i think what draws me away is i would spend another hundred or so for better parts and a few pounds less weight. i guess im not convinced that its worth it considering what ill use it for.

i did find 2 on ebay for a measly 250 that i was ready to buy but one had stem shifters and the other had the thumb ones on top the bars. i wont be spending any money til the weekend though so theres still time. i feel like there could be something better if i look enough.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

i feel like there could be something better if i look enough.

Keep your eyes open, for sure!  Kerry scored a $500 bike (including shipping)...a bike that was $1200 new and she got it with minimal wear.  Someone bought it and never really got the bike bug.

~ Sarah Kay

Kerry1976

Master of the Side Eye

Keep your eyes open, for sure!  Kerry scored a $500 bike (including shipping)...a bike that was $1200 new and she got it with minimal wear.  Someone bought it and never really got the bike bug.

Yeah, it was a lucky find on eBay. My LBS said I got a hell of a good deal. Good luck!

TRUST THE PROCESS

i went back on ebay and looked through every bike they had. i found two more that i liked and had what i was looking for but i just cant convince myself to want them bad enough. i definitely feel like if i dont get the motobecane i wont be happy. i will make her mine, she will be my squishy.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

i went back on ebay and looked through every bike they had. i found two more that i liked and had what i was looking for but i just cant convince myself to want them bad enough. i definitely feel like if i dont get the motobecane i wont be happy. i will make her mine, she will be my squishy.

Heh...Squishy.

~ Sarah Kay

yesterday the roads dried up just enough to go out for  test drive. first thing i noticed was how responsive it was compared to my hybrid. the thinner road tires really feel every move you make and i think that carbon fork is gonna save me from a lot of body shock. it needs a fine tuning but other than that it was super easy to assemble and i only adjusted it for size.

i expected a few cosmetic flaws and wasnt disappointed. it has a pretty cool fsa seatpost, i think its carbon too, and it came with a nice 2 inch scrape on it. a pointed part on the fork also got bashed in a little. ill probably throw a little acrylic on them so theyre sealed up nice and it should hide them too.

this frame is far more agressive than im used to, you really lean over the bars and i can imagine the balance getting hairy. currently ive got my clips and straps on it but the bike came with free pedals so i think i want to get some clipless shoes so ill have a little more control. ive never really paid any attention to shoes can anyone point me in a direction?

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

yesterday the roads dried up just enough to go out for  test drive. first thing i noticed was how responsive it was compared to my hybrid. the thinner road tires really feel every move you make and i think that carbon fork is gonna save me from a lot of body shock. it needs a fine tuning but other than that it was super easy to assemble and i only adjusted it for size.

i expected a few cosmetic flaws and wasnt disappointed. it has a pretty cool fsa seatpost, i think its carbon too, and it came with a nice 2 inch scrape on it. a pointed part on the fork also got bashed in a little. ill probably throw a little acrylic on them so theyre sealed up nice and it should hide them too.

this frame is far more agressive than im used to, you really lean over the bars and i can imagine the balance getting hairy. currently ive got my clips and straps on it but the bike came with free pedals so i think i want to get some clipless shoes so ill have a little more control. ive never really paid any attention to shoes can anyone point me in a direction?

You might want to have someone look at those scrapes and crunch on the fork.  Damage to carbon can lead to ruin.  Bikes Direct needs to not ship NEW bikes with damage or pack them in such a way that they will become damaged in shipping.  I would definitely give them a heads-up, including good photos.

As far as shoes go, I would try some on.  I'm a fan of mountain shoes, since I can still walk around in them and if/when I give Cyclocross a try I'll want mtn shoes, anyhow.  Mine are Sidi Dominators.  I like them, but sometimes wish I'd gone with a wider shoe...they're pretty snug and I have wide feet.  The men's would be wider, but my heels would likely slip out of them.  I always hear that Northwave and Shimano make wider shoes, if you have duck feet like I do.  Though Sidi does make wide shoes for men.

~ Sarah Kay

xhristopher

This one's for zoomy...

Despite checking ebay and the list of craig for some sort of second hand aero bike this spring, alas, I won't be getting it this year. 

Here's why:

That's what just joined our family, our second Mazda. Exactly like this one. What happens when you square zoom-zoom?

It's probably for the best since I'm not riding enough to warrant even taking the time to look on ebay for a "new" bike.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Yay for new car! (zoom^4?)!  Boo for not having time to ride, though.

~ Sarah Kay

xhristopher

Yay for new car! (zoom^4?)!  Boo for not having time to ride, though.

If I met my goal in Boston I would have split the running w/ biking more evenly but, having missed my goal, I'm going to focus more on running until I get it. I'm still riding for enjoyment when I can but my goal for the year is just 1000 miles for now. The good thing is that I'm still young and it's nice to have more than one sport and a long list of goals that will take so many years to accomplish. For example, I really want to try cyclocross. Badly. 

We like the car but not double payments. Our honda died (financially totaled) with just 101K on the odo! Mazda had 0% financing and I got the price I wanted! With a new car now I get to drive the older one even more.Undecided