Couch to 5K and One Hour Runners

Weekly Thread 4/27-5/3 (Read 293 times)

colinw

Colinw, wow! Almost there! What are your plans for after, again? Any thought of doing the one hour runner program?
    I think I will do the OHR program. It makes sense to me and I like the structure of it. I am curious how people map out their runs for the OHR. For the C25K I was just doing the run, and then mapping out how far I went to get the distance. I ended up with a lot of courses (see my log). Is that what everyone is doing for OHR as well - creating a new course for every run? In the past I went with a weekly course that I usually did in the same amount of time, and as time increased I made new courses. I guess next week I will start the OHR because I should be finished W9 of C25K by the weekend.

5k PR - 26:27 | 10k PR - ??? | HM PR - 2:09:14

jb944

Chicago RnR 1/2 Marathon

colinw - I've mapped out a 5k route starting from my front door. Since I'm so slow, it is long enough for now. As I increase my time, I'll have to change the route, but that is a ways off. I did OHR W1D3 today - although I had to do the 30 minutes in intervals. Still not feeling well, but I was determined to meet my 40 mile goal this month!
        Completed W7D1 yesterday. It didn't feel too good though... I blame it on being seriously malnutritioned during the run. All I had during the day was 2 cups of coffee and nothing more. Started feeling pains and sores in places I never knew I had. With that said I kept at an 10:50 minute mile pace during the 25 minute run on hilly terrain so that felt good. Wonder what I could have accomplished in proper condition.
        MoonStar

TracyBond - You might want to touch base with your doctor - make sure potassium is ok and blood flow in your legs is normal (I say this as someone is a very new runner and who has no idea of your health history). I also had several set backs - 1st with back problem, then with foot problems, then with horrible allergies. I believe it will get better, but I expect that from time to time there will be set backs. As someone who has been off course the last 1-2 weeks I will get back on schedule as soon as my body allows me. Since I am very overweight I know it will be harder for my body to adjust and I know I have to go more slowly. Also, my running speed isn't going to get me to a 5K at the end of the program - but will get me much closer than I was when I first started running several months ago. Smile I am going to go ahead and run/walk the flying pig 5K on Saturday. Worked out inside on the treamill again today. Ran 2 songs at 4.7 then walked one song repeat... Think I'll do this on Saturday - gives me plenty of chance to catch my breath and if I feel good I'll start back running before the walk song is done.
          gwhutch

I'm all done with the C25k program!!! Finished the last run last night - I might have found that happy place that I have heard of. As I was about 3/4s of the way done, I found my mind wandering and not concentrating on every footfall and labored breath. That was cool. Running the graduation race tomorrow. I'll be transitioning to triathlon training, but will probably include the OHR training program into it. Thank you for allowing me a place to share and all the encouragement. Those in progress or just starting - keep going, you can do it.
            Wingz

Professional Noob

Depending how I feel after work I might start Week 7 today.
              GottheBug - I don't see any runs logged since this time. Are you feeling okay? Modified to add (MTA): D'oh! Now I see your second post. But I still gotta ask... are you feeling okay? Man does not live on coffee alone...

Roads were made for journeys...

Wingz

Professional Noob

Not doing specific day right now. Still having horrible problems with allergies - hard to run if you have a chest full of .... Am run/walking on treadmill inside - doing 8 min run then walk until feel ready to run again for another 8 minutes. Am supposed to be on w5d3 but don't think it wise to try another long run until my lungs clear. w5d2 had 8 minute runs, so hopefully I will be able to jump back in to w5d3 when I feel better. Still going to go ahead and run/walk the 5k I was going to run on Saturday. Think I'll try to find another one for mid/late June. Maybe I'll be up to running the whole way by then Smile Wingz - glad you got another bike - be careful with this one. Is it a mountain bike or hybrid? Daisy sick with fever 103. Think she had the same allergies vs. URI and then got a superimposed infection - tuned into bronchitis/sinusitis. Started her on antibiotics today.
                Wow. Hope you're feeling better, Moonstar, and hope Daisy's feeling better now too. She's a cutie pie but nobody's happy when they're not feeling well... Wishing you the best of luck on your 5K tomorrow! Have fun with it!

obiebyke

Good job, gwhutch! Feel free to stick around with me and jb and others for OHR.

Call me Ray (not Ishmael)

Wingz

Professional Noob

i'm really struggling with my calves (the backs) cramping up when i am running. i did w2d1 today, but i've been as far up as w3d2 before. i moved back to w1 a couple weeks back because my shins and heels were killing me. turns out i needed new shoes, so i'm moving back up slowly. i tried w3d1 two nights ago and nearly keeled over. so, back to w2 i guess. slow and steady and all that. i just want to know that at some point, it doesn't hurt so much. can someone honestly tell me that will happen? i'm at some sort of psychological wall that is telling me i can't get there. i am signed up for the peachtree in atlanta for july 4. i am fine with walking part of it...no problem. but i'm really doubting myself lately. (probably bc of the combined shin splint and plantar fasciitis pain i had...i'm not having that now with new shoes but my calves cramp up something fierce in back as i run.)
                    Hi, TraceyBond. Welcome! Problems that I've had with calves cramping: 1) being dehydrated when I try to run. 2) trying to run on the balls of my feet instead of MY natural heel-strike. (Looked like I was "prancing"." 3) muscles plain old being too tight. Tight calf muscles can lead to plantar facitis. Which I know that you know is no fun. My best guess is that since your shins and heels were killing you, you changed your stride to try to avoid that pain... leading to your calf muscles being overworked... leading to the pain you're feeling. Did you take any time off when you were having those problems? If not, then that'd probably be the best place to start. Try taking three days off in a row, stretching your problem areas gently. Then, when you start back, any time it hurts, WALK. Forget what the program or week number is telling you. If something's hurting, then something's wrong. It's really that simple. Try this: 1) three days with no running or impact activities. 2) start back at week 1 3) make sure you're not "prancing" because of a changed footstrike 4) if something's hurting while you're running, slow down or walk until it doesn't any more. 5) be as gentle and patient with yourself as you'd want someone to be with your best friend. Try this for a week and see if it doesn't get better. Don't progress up weeks until you can complete the prior week without pain. If it doesn't get better within the week, go see a doc. Just because you're hurting now doesn't mean you can't be successful with running. It just means that something's wrong right now. As a runner... and you are a runner... it is your job to find out what's wrong and to fix it. We runners have to be problem solvers and detectives. Wink

Wingz

Professional Noob

I'm all done with the C25k program!!! Finished the last run last night - I might have found that happy place that I have heard of. As I was about 3/4s of the way done, I found my mind wandering and not concentrating on every footfall and labored breath. That was cool. Running the graduation race tomorrow. I'll be transitioning to triathlon training, but will probably include the OHR training program into it. Thank you for allowing me a place to share and all the encouragement. Those in progress or just starting - keep going, you can do it.
                      Whooo hooo!!!! Cool Cool Cool Congratulations on finishing the program! Feel free to check in with our other OHR folks here! Good luck with your race! We want to hear all about it, so be sure to write us a race report. Big grin

Ok, finished W3.5 D3, the PolePole Remix Edition. Big grin I did 5 min quick walk warmup, 3 min run/2 min walk x5. This means that I ran almost as many minutes as W4, but in shorter intervals and more reps. Next week should be wk 4, the regular version! I'm convinced that the creator of C25K is a genius. I've tried to "be a runner" before, and hate, hate, *hated* it, always starting with the best of intentions, then failing tremendously. I've been rehabbing injured athletes professionally for years, but never seemed to be able to figure out a running plan that worked for myself. From a professional and participant point of view, I love how there are days off of running, that once you run 20 minutes straight for the first time, that you don't immediately repeat that in your next workout, and did I mention those days off? Smile I use those for other workouts (no couching allowed), but am amazed at what a difference a day off of the pounding of running has made--to the point that I am still comfortably moving ahead on the plan and not throwing in the towel like every other attempt. Oh, and one more thing---RA people rock!
                        Wingz

Professional Noob

Oh, and one more thing---RA people rock!
                          You go, girl! Big grin

jb944

Chicago RnR 1/2 Marathon

Moonstar - make sure we get a race report. Good luck today! gwhutch. Congratulations, graduate! Feel free to stick around and post about the OHR program with us. PolePole - I'm so impressed with you that you listened to your body and designed an extra week for what you needed. Too many people just get discouraged or push on and get hurt. You have definitely set yourself up for success this time. So officially, I was doing OHR W2D1 today. Unofficially, I zoned out and ended up running for 40 minutes! I've been sick all week, but miraculously my head cleared, I felt better, and had an easy run once I got started(even though it is at my slow pace). Last time I ran 40 minutes (December) my pace was a full minute slower, so I guess I'm making progress!
                            MoonStar

Ok, I finished! Big grin Wasn't hoping for 50's and raining but did it anyways. Was barely sprinkling when I started so that helped. Did great for the first 3/4 mile or so, then I saw the port-a-potties and took a break and had trouble getting my stride back. Also, I had planned on running 2 songs and then walking part of a 3rd, and was thrown when I read that we weren't supposed to use headphones. Some people had them on anyways - but I guess I wouldn't have wanted my ipod out in a downpour. I had been really worried about ability levels but the Flying Pig 5K was very mixed. There were beginners like me, elementary school groups, older walkers, as well as your more experienced runner types with times under 20 minutes. It was a good confidence builder. I finished. I wasn't the caboose. I didn't hurt myself. They gave out a medal to everyone that finished which my kids were impressed with. They also had these big sheets of I don't know what ? mylar? that they gave to everybody to keep warm after the race - which were AWESOME. Kept me from freezing. Think I am going to keep mine - may come in handy in case of emergency - plus it says Flying Pig on the back. I also now know to look for something other than cotton to wear if it looks like it might rain. Glad I did it. Think I'll look for another maybe 4-6 weeks out and see if I can run more of it then. There's also a Madeira 1 mile fun run on the 4th of July I might try. It's after work though and I know it has been really hot other years when I've watched. We'll see. Anywords of advice on my soaked shoes? Should I just let them air dry? Put paper towels in them?
                                Well I only did two runs this week because me and my kids were really sick. Pretty much any movement caused a bathroom run for one reason or another. Feeling better today though so will probably redo week 7 although I am going to see how I am feeling and see if I can make the 8 week run. Moonstar~ grats on finishing the run!! As far as the shoes go I have read on here to let them air dry and stuff with newspaper. MTA just did W8D1 and felt like I could go longer so gonna stick with week 8 woohoo!
                                Yelie