Couch to 5K and One Hour Runners

Weekly Thread 5/11-17 (Read 313 times)

W9D2 done!! Felt darn good too!! One of my best runs to date I think. Every runner has bad days. Like Wingz said, just give yourself another chance and get out there again Wink
    Yelie
    obiebyke

Yup, just keep getting out there. It's all in your mind. I did OHR W7D2 today. It was hot, even at 7.45am, but I made it through the 34 minutes. I'm being more careful about my heartrate--calculated an approximate max and am running in the 65%-80% of max range, with annoying alarms that go off if I color outside the lines. Slowed me down to 12:50 min/mile. Trying to be okay with going more slowly. The prize isn't speed, it's HEALTH!

Call me Ray (not Ishmael)

jb944

Chicago RnR 1/2 Marathon

OHR W3D2 done! And I passed the 100 mile mark for the year today. Big grin
        CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

WohooO! Good for you, JB! 100 Miles is a good chunk of time out there! Smile

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

obiebyke

You're amazing, jb. You're not that far behind me AND you've been sick AND you bike. Wow!

Puffer, not huffer

runswithdogs--You can totally do this! Running the big scary C25K runs is like being your own Jedi mind trick. I think what a lot of us don't realize is that there's a TON of people out there that don't always finish W5D3. They tend to get lost in the "whee I did it!" posts. Just keep going at your own pace--even slower than you think you need to! Something that helped me is to read some of the "running mantra" threads in the main forum. A lot of the super duper runners post sayings or things they think about to help them get through their run. One that particularly grabbed me was "My mind controls my body--not the other way around." It's helped me a lot during runs where I feel in danger of pooping out and losing my motivation. And yes, everybody has crappy runs. Sometimes you can identify what went wrong, and other times, a crappy run will just come out of nowhere. You'll be fine. Just keep chugging along!
              CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

Can I just say mapping tools are cool? I was snooping around between the mapping tool and my city's numbers for the bike path to figure out what I was actually getting distance wise. I found out from the city's website how far the one section of the bike path is and I use about 80% of the length of it. Good to have solid reference for distance. (cuz I was underestimating I think.) I had a really good run today. My first run with my new shoes. I started off with my pace a bit higher than it maybe should've been, but I slowed it down and had a good run. Speaking of mantras, I was thinking while I was out there "just relax, you are a runner and this is the good stuff, just you and the path." It's 23*C with a 33kph wind ( or 73*F with 21mph wind if you prefer) and it just felt good to be out there. Cool

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Puffer, not huffer

"this is the good stuff"--I like that mantra, too! Sometimes I feel like we all get into finishing our runs and feeling good so much, we forget to feel good DURING them!

running buddies

Thanks for all your encouragement and suggestions as well as permission to repeat week 5. That's what I did this morning - W5D1, and it was fine. Maybe I'll just keep doing week 5 until all three days feel fine. I have to remember that my goal is to enjoy running (at least some/most of the time) so I'll keep doing it, not to accomplish some arbitrary distance goal by some arbitrary date. I do hope to make it to OHR at some point.
                    "Be patient and tough. Someday this pain will be useful to you." Ovid 2009 Goals 1. Don't get injured 2. Run 3-4x/week for at least 30 minutes 3. participate in at least one run or tri (maybe 2) "And remember, Dead Freakin' Last is better than Did Not Finish which is way better than Did Not Start" (Allison)
                    gwhutch

finished OHR w2d3
                      obiebyke

I just got back from finishing OHR W7. 3.64 miles in 45 minutes, and it felt pretty dang good. I feel now like I could run the full hour if I absolutely had to, which is a great feeling. Of course, I won't actually do it until the schedule tells me to. On to Week 8!

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

WohooO! It is great to feel like you could keep going. I had a run like that tonight too; it wasn't a OHR, but it was a good run and I felt good! Cool

Half Fanatic #9292. 

W9D3 done last night Big grin Big grin Big grin Officially on to OHR!
                            Yelie
                              Congratulations Yelle!!
                              obiebyke

Right on , Yelie! Welcome to OHR.