Charlotte, NC area runners

Week of 1/10/2011 (Read 267 times)

theyapper

On the road again...

Another great week of running here, with Mike topping the mileage list.  Probably about time for a new trophy case, huh?  Don't know if you've got room to fit all these gold stars. Wink

We had two runners racing HMs last week - Lynwood in Ocean Isle, NC and Richard in Traveller's Rest, SC.  Both had good races, but the blue ribbon has to go to Richard because he won his AG.  Nice work, Richard.  

Totals for the week:

NameDistance ▼Time
    ChakaKahn 60.4 Mi 7:21:30
    CliveFenster 48.6 Mi 7:18:47
    theyapper66  38.9 Mi 6:05:11
    Happyfeet 38.6 Mi 6:17:00
    nanxin 35.3 Mi 5:22:05
    old-runnerBlue Ribbon 33.1 Mi 4:45:28
    runslikeafraggle 25.1 Mi 5:04:47
    Docster 16.2 Mi 2:16:19
    alholley 10.5 Mi 1:37:45
    rossruns 5.2 Mi 47:00
    CarolinaBlue 4.2 Mi 35:01

MTA: Got in 6.1 miles of fun, fun snow running.  Loved it!

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

under a rock

Since school was closed today I had to squeeze in a quick 3 miles during my hubby's lunch hour. I love running in fresh snow! It makes road running more tolerable for me. I wish I could have done more but I'll take what I can get.

Congrats, Richard, on the AG! I think I saw you running down Hoffman yesterday, lots of layers of clothing on so I figured it was a good chance it was you.

old-runner

Yay me... My first blue ribbon! You must have missed the part where there were only two guys in my age group! 

Ashley... That wasn't me on Hoffman Road but it sounds like somebody I'd get along with quite well. 

Congrats to all of you who ran in the snow. I opted for the safety of six miles on the treadmill. I did manage to walk a couple miles in the snow along with my wife to Dunkin Donuts, where I negated any benefits I might have gained from the walk.

Paul... I noticed you mentioned running an 8k soon... Is that the Winter Flight 8k in Salisbury? I'm planning on running that this year for the first time. I hear it's a great race.

Congrats on the week, guys, and to Richard for the Blue Ribbon!

Did almost 8 late this afternoon in the snow/slush/ice.  Brought back memories ...

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

theyapper

On the road again...

Richard - No, I saw that there were only 2, but I figure any AG win in something as long as a HM deserves a ribbon.  I'm sure they gave you an award at the race, too.

Yes, it's the Winter Flight.  My wife has something that day, so I'm hoping it works out.  I'd love to run with you, Richard, at least for the first half-mile or so.  Big grin  I'm hoping for a sub-40, it will all depend on how hilly it is.  I ran a 4-mile tempo last week avg 7:54, so if I can do that for about another mile, I'll get it.

Paul

old-runner

Richard - No, I saw that there were only 2, but I figure any AG win in something as long as a HM deserves a ribbon.  I'm sure they gave you an award at the race, too.

Yes, it's the Winter Flight.  My wife has something that day, so I'm hoping it works out.  I'd love to run with you, Richard, at least for the first half-mile or so.  Big grin  I'm hoping for a sub-40, it will all depend on how hilly it is.  I ran a 4-mile tempo last week avg 7:54, so if I can do that for about another mile, I'll get it.

Paul... I'll look forward to seeing you up there at the Winter Flight. The way we're both running I'll probably have a hard time keeping up with you! 

Has anybody talked to Rob (CarolinaBlue) lately? Looks like he's had to miss a couple weeks with his ankle injury... in a boot maybe? If you read this Rob, hope things are improving!

Hi Richard,

thanx for wishing me improvement. I was diagnosed with a stress reaction in my right foot (along the 5th metatarsal) -- a stress reaction is where the x-ray is normal (which it was), but was in a lot of pain (could hardly walk) because the outside of the bone is undergoing "micro-fractures" (and if you continue, then it does fracture), and was put in a boot for 3 weeks. My left Achilles was also extremely swollen at the time (they wanted to put my left foot into a boot but wearing two boots was not practical) -- still hurts some (never had an Achilles injury). Over the past three weeks I've been swimming, running in the water and continued to lift.  Boot came off on Sunday. I've run the past two days but results are mixed -- gauging things day-by-day.

One interesting thing...since I've been running over 35 mi/week (last April), the weight that I was at for the various wt lifting I do either plateaued or in most cases has decreased. Four days after I stopped running (and started swimming), I started to feel stronger. Over the past three weeks, I've increased my lifts (same reps) almost 15% (its like someone turned an "on" switch -- for example, my incline bench has gone fr 8x160# to 8x180#).

BTW, I was targeting Winter Flight before all of this happened.

Rob

old-runner

Ouch Rob! Well, at least this is probably the best time of year for an injury, if one time is better than another. You've had a lot of experience dealing with injuries as a coach, I'm sure, so I know you'll do what's best.

Get better quick so you can get back out and make all of us 50-plus runners feel bad about being so slow!

theyapper

On the road again...

Good to hear from you, Rob.  Sounds painful, but hopefully you're on the road to full recovery.

Roads here are solid ice, and I've got a tempo run to do.  Think it might be time to start a 7 day free trial membership at Gold's Gym.  I think driving there would be easier than trying to run fast miles in my neighborhood.  Undecided

MTA: Roads ended up being pretty clear, so I ran my normal places.  6.5 miles total, with a 4.5 mile tempo in the middle.

Paul

Roads ended up being pretty clear, so I ran my normal places.  6.5 miles total, with a 4.5 mile tempo in the middle.

Still hit-or-miss around here.  Did my 6, with 4 at tempo, on my office's treadmill.

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

theyapper

On the road again...

8.5 for me today.  It was surprisingly breezy which made it a little colder than I was expecting.

Paul

theyapper

On the road again...

Looks like we all took yesterday off - at least from here. I enjoyed a nice rest day.

4.7 today - very easy run and threw in 4 striders at the end.  Felt good to run fast and hold form.

Paul

Looks like we all took yesterday off - at least from here.

Nah, but I was tardy uploading mine.  I'm taking today off, though, and then have a couple 8-milers planned for the weekend.

-- Dick LeBeau

I had a good 4 miler last night with my Thursday group, which starts at the Philosopher's Stone.  I guess there were 50 runners.  Didn't see Shashi this time.  When are you coming back Shashi?

The course had major ice patches of 20 - 30 yards or more. I watched people run across the ice like deer.  Amazing.  It seemed like the younger they were, the faster they went across it.  I run a lot of these group runs with a young guy, about 24 years old.  He's fast but he gained some weight so he's slower than he used to be, and pushes me a little. It won't last long though as soon as he drops lbs.  Good matchup.   I guess we were running around 8:15 - 8:30 and getting passed rapidly.  I told the guy he could run on, as I had no desire to run on ice, but he stayed with me. This is the same road I fell on with nothing causing it.  Yep, I was a wimp.

Lynwood, its more about "what you don't know that can't hurt you....until you experience it".  They run faster since they don't know what to fear (yet).  They haven't taken many hard falls on the ground after walking on an icy road/sidewalk/driveway since ice usually doesn't linger down here (since "us" northerners know to fear the ice).  Your running close to tempo speed -- is this a run where people "step on the gas" more vs. an easy run? I'm going to try the Harris Y trail tomorrow (hopefully it will be free of ice)

Rob