Marathon Trainers

Week of 2/23 (Read 280 times)

Dave

Pam, you are a MACHINE! Big grin 4.4 for me this morning at an easy pace. Nice to recover from yesterday's speedwork. I'm wondering what to do about this weekend's runs. Looks like hard rain/snow on Sunday for sure. This is my last good opportunity for a long run before my marathon (3 weeks out). Had considered 10 easy and 10 at MP but I just did speedwork on Thursday with 5 at MP. Might be too much. Do you think I go ahead and try the 10/10 run or something less on Saturday or just run an easy 20 on Sunday on the treadmill?

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

evanflein

Dave... we have a lot of snow forecast for this weekend, and while the temps will be nice (mid-teens, maybe 20), I just really hate running in the new snow. Feel like I'm staggering around and it really takes a lot out of me. So.... I've considered doing both my weekend runs (and today, if I run) on the treadmill. That's 10 on Saturday, and 20 on Sunday. Not thrilled with the idea, but better than not getting them done at all.
        Do you think I go ahead and try the 10/10 run or something less on Saturday or just run an easy 20 on Sunday on the treadmill?
        I don't know. If it were me and I had doubt about completing the MP portion, I'd worry more about the confidence deflation than the missed workout. If I did decide to do it, I'd start super slow (maybe 9:30's for 5) crank it up a bit (8:40's for 5), then MP and not faster for the final 10. I think you're shooting for 8mm MP, right? Erika - ugh, 20 on a treadmill. But you do have the food channel to watch Smile

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

evanflein

Well, Lou, actually... the 20 would be done on the treadmill at home, and there's NO TV, just a window looking across the snowy lawn to the neighbor's house. Not a really thrilling option.
          Mr Inertia

Suspect Zero

Two days off so far due to illness. I think another day or two will be ok. At this rate I'll be back on track on Monday.
              Pam, you are a MACHINE! Big grin 4.4 for me this morning at an easy pace. Nice to recover from yesterday's speedwork. I'm wondering what to do about this weekend's runs. Looks like hard rain/snow on Sunday for sure. This is my last good opportunity for a long run before my marathon (3 weeks out). Had considered 10 easy and 10 at MP but I just did speedwork on Thursday with 5 at MP. Might be too much. Do you think I go ahead and try the 10/10 run or something less on Saturday or just run an easy 20 on Sunday on the treadmill?
              An eating maching is right Big grin THANKS! I like lou's idea on the 5's 5's 5's and 5 no faster than marathon pace. Can't believe your race is so close!

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Kimmie

Hang in there Mr. I! Tomorrow will be my first day of running since last Wednesday. I probably could have run yesterday but I was promising my husband to take it really easy. So, it will be good to get back out there. And you'll be happy you rested, I think. Too many people try to run through sickness... not a good idea. Hey dave, what about 20 at long run pace and do a fast finish? Or are you really trying to get some more MP miles in? Running 20 miles on a treadmill = mental toughness. Let us know how it goes. What's everyone's plan for National? Post race meetup??? I may be real slow but I will be there.
                  Hope you get to feeling better Mr. I ASAP!! Had a great run this morning. Ran 7 miles of the Fools run ( a locak 10 mile race) and then turned around and headed back. It started raining around mile 7, thankfully it was warm outside. Loved the hills and scenery, didn't like the cambered roads though (on the hills) I had planned on 16-18 miles for a long run however I didn't think doing much more than 14 on the hills the day after intervals would be smart. Got a busy busy weekend, hope everyone has a GREAT weekend!

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Bugs

Pam & WRFB - Great runs as always Erika - Wow, 20 on TM, yikes. I don't know what I'd do. Both would make me ache. Kim - Glad you're feeling better. Inertia - couple days off is nothing, at least that is what I tell myself. Dave - I'd try really hard to run the LR before the snow hits. I've been running on a few roads that seem to be clear without much traffic. I really hate running on roads, the cars freak me out. I miss the running on the trials away from everything. I am suppose to run a 5K today but think I am just going to go pickup my shirt. My cold has been bringing me down and I feel better today, but don't want to relapse or just run moderate. My son is really sick with strep throat. Not to sound like an awful mother, but dang it I really don't want to catch that. (Kind of hard not to when he vomitted all over me yesterday.) I really need a good 16 mile run in, way overdue. My plan is to do it on Tuesday when the weather should be nicer and my cold should be gone. I'm just hoping I don't have strep throat by then. Sad

Bugs

Oh Mighty Wing

took yesterday off, and think i'm taking today off as well. With everything else I have going on adding in the running has left me wiped of energy. I am also megadehydrated and low on potassium - as everything is cramped and i have a killer headache. So I think i'm gonna take today to drink loads of water and rest and will try out a nice easy run tomorrow and then hopefully be back to it full force on Monday. Good running to all!!!

Bugs

Shan, That is smart. You've just been sick so it's really easy to catch the next bug. Lots of running days ahead. My sick son just came walking downstairs like looking much healthier. I am keeping him and his germs at home all weekend long as not to get more people sick.

Bugs

Kimmie

Bugs and Shan- hope you both feel better.... and Bugs, I hope you don't get the strep... that's not a bad mother... I say that all the time. In fact, I can't even believe no one in my family has gotten the flu like I did. And I ran today!!! Smile Only 6 miles, but still I ran- nice and easy- 9:30 pace. legs felt a little heavy but not too bad. didn't feel weak- just like I hadn't run in awhile. So glad I rested although it was really hard. I've been feeling back to normal since thursday but waited two more days. All that to say, I encourage the sickies to not overdue it- too much too soon will only make it linger on and on. Sickness and injury- it's really hard for us to take off days, but sometimes it's important. My best running friend has a nagging hamstring injury and I can't convince her to take a good chunk of time off. She runs 3 or 4 days in a row, then has to take 3 or 4 days off b/c of the hamstring. I just think if she could take two weeks off or so, then she could heal completely. But what do I know? Dave, i'm hoping tthe snow isn't too bad here. I really thought winter was over, which makes my husband laugh when I say that.

Oh Mighty Wing

I think my struggle is telling the difference between when to run through it and when to take off. I just feel like a big weenie for taking off.

Bugs

Shan, You must listen to woman's intuition. My inner voice has never been wrong. I think you're just afraid the old shan who thinks 3 miles is a long run will take over again. I don't think you have to worry. You will be back at it. I ran my race EASY, as slow as I could go 26:46. I was talking to a girl who said she was stuck at running a 3:55 marathon. Her last was 3:20. I asked what was the difference. She said that she had kids and got too busy to overtrain. Thought that was funny! I almost finished LR after race today because I felt so good, but then said nope, I'm not going to have another set-back. If I feel good tomorrow I might do my long run. 2:20. How many miles can I do in 2:20? Sad

Bugs

Happy Camper

Note to everyone: Cut this cold stuff out and get better! Smile Busy day. Drove DS2 to music contest with school 90 miles away. Drove back and and then went to piano contest here. He had a good day. I need to get a short run in today. Too much car time. DS2 wrote this and uploaded to youtube. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kCiiGK-ttqk Pretty good for 14 yo. MTA: 8 & change. Easy paced run. Could tell I was tired. 10:17 mm average pace, 144bpm avg HR.

Determination: The feeling you get right before you try something incredibly stupid.