Marathon Trainers

Week of 22 - 28 Sept 2008 (Read 299 times)

Bugs

Dave, Hope you are feeling better today. Shan, Those brownies sound delightful. I tried making lemon cookies last night, yikes, did not go well. Think it was my airbake pans. I gotta stop eating so much in taper! Erika, Hope you are on a post-marathon buzz. Inertia, Saw you posted on a marathon base. Honestly I think most of pfitz's plans are too hard, not each rest.

Bugs

Mr Inertia

Suspect Zero

Pftiz's plans do seem fairly brutal. They don't look brutal on paper, but in real life... Like I said, I'll be using some of hit stuff and a good chunk of Daniels. I like how Daniles combines some threshold running with long and medium/long runs. Look like those will help a lot in dealing with the intensity (pain) of racing. It's way too early to start setting goals yet, but I look at where I'm at now and think i might be set to rpepare to get ready to make preparations to prepare myself to start contemplating thinking about breaking four hours this time around. I'm so tempted to do some cruise intervals this week. I love them with all of my heart. My achilles feels fine, but I think I should give it another week before running fastish on it. Today's just a short 4 miler during lunch. I will probably throw some striders in just to test things out. And I say again unto you: FALL RUNNING WEATHER IS HERE!!!

Bugs

Inertia, Is there software or online stuff for Daniels? I start getting gloss eyed everytime I try to make the plan and never get it done. Seriously this is what computers are for. I wouldn't mind using Daniels 10K plan for post marathon.

Bugs

Bugs

Inertia, I have heard really good things about this Dick Beardsley Training Program. I think if you built a large base before, and then start the marathon training program you'd do really well. I've heard that people find the hill work placed perfectly in the plan.

Bugs

Dave

And Bugs, I saw your post on marathon pace runs. Since I'm currently being brutalized from even a half-assed approach to Pfitz, I'll be curious to see what kind of responses you get. I'll run 5 easy today and see how things feel. I'm not sure how those hard runs really hurt you if you can continue training without injury (which remains to be seen). I'm still a bit in awe of the response out in the forums. Basically sounds like they don't believe you can even start marathon training without a 40 MPW base. I think that's a load of crap. I may not run my very best marathon without a better base but I can certainly finish safely.

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Bugs

Dgb, Do you think the first poster was suggesting I wasn't running enough because I did not run 80 mpw? I thought I trained pretty hard for this one. I had a crap load of cramps this summer that sort of prevented me from running fast somedays, but then I look at the log and think I had some pretty amazing weeks of pace runs, moderate runs (tend to be half slow, half fast) and strong long runs. The last few weeks my runs are a little off, but I had races in there, so I'm thinking I still trained pretty well. My body is not ready to run more than 60 miles in a week. Maybe one day, not this year. I think I need more hard workouts not more miles. I do like the 40-45 mpw pre marathon base, but I think I'd like to cutback at the start of marathon training. I think I could run at faster paces if I started the program with a cutback. I think I might have also peaked a little early. (Who knew?) I'm not trying to qualify for the olympics. My goal was not to train for the fastest finish. First goal make it to the starting line, something I didn't do last year, and second was to beat 4:06. I was little afraid of too much speed work because I thought I'd increase injury risk. More pace miles just seemed safer and smarter. My gut feel is that I have more endurance. Those 20's seem way too easy for me. (Even at 9:22 pace.) I think the smartest person on these forums might be Nobby (I'd love if he could coach me, lives just 60 miles north of me), and he doesn't not buy into the slow long runs. I like the fast long runs too but got a little injured doing that last year, oh but I ran fast all week too (March 27 - April 1 2007, should log that as stupid). So that's why I stayed in the 9:20 range (on the LRs I wasn't wanting to vomit). Sub-4 is a 9:10, so I thought hell fast enough. Nobby also says too many runners are exhausted, burned out when they follow those long hard programs. Go read his advice for runningwild. He made "his girl" run a 3 hour fast run for her last LR. She was running a 3:40 marathon before he trained her.

Bugs

Dave

I'm with you on Nobby. Berner has been running some huge miles but I don't think he's saying you need to be up at 80 mile weeks to run more MP runs. His point about that "middle ground" between building endurance at low heart rates and pushing hard against your LT is probably a good one. The pounding on your body costs you more than the actual training benefit for the kind of run I pulled over the weekend. FWIW, if I had to do it again, I would try to delay much of my MP running until fairly late in my training cycle. Using it to sharpen my training at the end rather than as a tool to really build fitness. More interval speedwork, hills, and striders. Less MP and HM pace tempo runs. From a confidence standpoint though, I got a huge boost out of my saturday stupidity. MTA: I think the hard part for me is that I'm struggling to figure out how much to adjust my pace for training and racing goals based on improvements during training. I've only ran 1 of these things so I suspect that after this, the improvements will be tougher to come by.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Cause I CAN

3 miles...dying for fall to arrive here although technically it has, but the temps still say summer
                  Liver Transplant - July 2, 1991
                  http://terri7291.blogspot.com/

Bugs

MTA: I think the hard part for me is that I'm struggling to figure out how much to adjust my pace for training and racing goals based on improvements during training. I've only ran 1 of these things so I suspect that after this, the improvements will be tougher to come by.
                    I'm really surprised the "books" don't talk about that more. Clearly towards the end of your training that MP is going to seem easier at the start. The books don't really give you good guidelines for how to pick your pace, even though that is the most important part. About the guys saying you need to start with 40 mpw base, well they might be saying that because that is what they needed to do to even run a 20 mile run as fast as you did. Smile Personally think you need to thank me. Clearly the threat of having to race me has forced you to do a ton of valuable speed work.

Bugs

Bugs

Inertia, Here is a nice marathon building program. Maybe too easy for you.

Bugs

Dave

Personally think you need to thank me. Clearly the threat of having to race me has forced you to do a ton of valuable speed work.
                        Thank you Bugs. Blush If it weren't for the threat of racing you and my my utter lack of self control and common sense, I wouldn't have done all those faster paced miles. Cool MTA: 5.5 for me at an easy pace (143 avg HR). Legs felt much better than I thought they would. Doesn't look like the 20 cost me more than 1 extra rest day. Time will tell.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Bugs

Thank you Bugs. Blush If it weren't for the threat of racing you and my my utter lack of self control and common sense, I wouldn't have done all those faster paced miles. Cool
                          No that's not how it went down. The threat of racing me caused all the speed work before the 20 miler. The ego of running a LR that fast, I'll blame that on Shan asking you if those would be logged stupid. Shan, We must always say the opposite to men when we think they should do something. Dave, Go run all your runs this week as fast as you can. Smile

Bugs

Kimmie

figured I'd just jump in and post. I've been lurking for a little bit and I like what you guys have got going here. Like dave, I'm training for the MCM. I took an unscheduled day off yesterday because of a bad cold. Sometimes I run through a cold, sometimes I don't. Today I will have to run in the middle of the day because of kids/husband schedule. I feel better so I think I will just make it an easy run. Just enough to get the tiniest dose of endorphins. Thanks for letting me lurk for a little while and I hope you don't mind that I joined in. Smile Happy running all.

Bugs

Kimmie, Welcome. This place really needed some new blood. We've had a few drifters lately and that leaves me only with just Dave to tease. I see you're a personal trainer, very cool. You can kick our butts into shape! That MCM marathon looks very fun. You've ran five marathons - very cool. Using a training plan or self-made plan? I ran last night with two 2:45 hr marathoners at running club. Ya, I let em go at 2 miles. 4 miles tempo this morning in the rain with friend. yikes. Legs are tired, thought this taper was suppose to be easy.

Bugs

Kimmie

Bugs, thanks for the welcome. I will be posting a plenty because I'm starting to lose my mojo here towards the end of training. I have a 20 mile race on Sunday that I hope to do in a decent time. That debate between long slow runs produce slow runners is a continual thing in my running group. I'm kind of following a plan that my running group is using. I tweak it a bit here and there. My biggest problem is getting more miles in during the regular weekday runs. I just met someone who can meet me at 5:30 to run... we'll probably meet up tomorrow and run at least 8. And as far as being a personal trainer goes, it's funny because I have hard time getting my own workouts in sometimes. I have to be very protective of my running time. Many people like to train in the mornings and that's when I want/need to run. So, I figure it out the best I can while taking care of the house and two young kiddos.