Marathon Trainers

Week of 22 - 28 Sept 2008 (Read 299 times)

Mr Inertia

Suspect Zero

Signed up at sparkpeople. I'm making a push for some weight loss since I'm not marathon training right now. Was browsing the groups there. The demographic and overall attitude is, um, different there. 40 min run (maybe 20 min tempo) during lunch today, heading out in about an hour.

Dave

Interesting website (sparkpeople). Very active boards over there. I'm nursing a sore knee today. Did a quick search on "back knee pain" and saw a similar post of my own back in January with much the same cause and result. Not sure I learn very easily. Wink I don't think its anything serious and will hopefull get back tomorrow or saturday. One week until the Army 10 miler. Certainly a good opportunity for stupidity next Saturday as well. Kimmie, I saw your post in the main forums (Shan, what does GSP stand for anyway?) but will wait and see how others respond. I'd be tempted to use it as a 15 mile MP run and then see how much you have left.

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Oh Mighty Wing

Sparkpeople - never saw the boards but REALLY liked their set-up for tracking. The ONLY downside - which in my case turned out to hurt alot was that if you were exceeding the exercise calories by alot it didn't adjust your eating calories. For example I was supposed to eat between 12-1500 every day and burning 1500/week from exercise. Well when I was burning 2-3000/week it would yell at me and say if you don't click ok it will not adjust - so I clicked, but nothing changed. So anyway keep an eye out for that. GSP - Great Scary Place.
        Mr Inertia

Suspect Zero

So I'm a garmin guy. I'm trying to get to the point where I use it to record, but not dictate my pace. I want to learn what tempo's "comfortably hard" is without staring at my wrist for 20 minutes. So I switched the data screen so it only shows elapsed time. My goal for my lunch run was 10 min easy 20 min tempo 10 min easy My tempo pace is 8:22ish. I ran too fast. At some point I was running faster than 5k race pace. I couldn't hold on that long so I only got two miles in. So I'm gonna keep working on this.
          Kimmie

Just got back from 800 intervals.... ran right past the moms waiting at the bus stop... tried to stay focused and finished my workout about 2 minutes before the bus came. Only 4 miles but better than nothing. Thanks for your input on the 20 miler, Dave. I am so tempted to just the run the whole thing hard, no matter what.... still weighing my options.

Dave

I hate to admit it when the elitist pricks are right but I did end up injuring myself with the hard long run last weekend. Just sayin.

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Bugs

I really wish I could get this dam NikePlus watch to work. It is so comfortable & light but it just stares at me and blinks WALK. WTH? Inertia, so much speed work lately. Log some runs as "fun" too, OK? No watch, no set distance, just fun. Dave, Dave, Dave, {sigh}............... Wana race? Smile Just kidding. Take care of that dam knee. So what fixed it last time? If it were me I'd be running, OK driving to my graston doctor and he would find a lesion in my hamstring and scrap it out. Doc Bugs orders is for you to roll out everything, ice massage everything. If that doesn't work use your butter knife. Ya'll be fine, just let it get better. 5 miles not hard not easy. 78F, wish it would get cooler.

Bugs

Bugs

I hate to admit it when the elitist pricks are right but I did end up injuring myself with the hard long run last weekend. Just sayin.
                  They get hurt too.

Bugs

Mr Inertia

Suspect Zero

Inertia, so much speed work lately. Log some runs as "fun" too, OK? No watch, no set distance, just fun.
                    I...don't understand what you mean, but that sounds intreguing Big grin

Bugs

I...don't understand what you mean, but that sounds intreguing Big grin
                      How to run for fun?

Bugs

evanflein

Hi everyone. You guys have been pretty busy over here this week! I got back last night and am slowly making it through this day at work. Got all my voice mail taken care of as well as e-mails, so I guess I'm doing ok. To make matters worse, it's a really nice day out there and I do have my running stuff in the car...! Haven't run since Saturday's race and I'm ready to go. Will head out from my parents' house on the way home, and see how far I get. Thinking at least 4 and no more than 8. Still on my "recovery week" so I don't really care. Shan, gee thanks. Glad to see you check out the masters' forum sometimes. There's a lot of very good experienced runners over there. Some real nutcases, too. But then, Cash doesn't post there so much anymore... Wink I first met WillRun4Beer and PreDawnRunner in Boston. Lovely couple, I was so glad they could come see me! Guess I should figure out a plan for the next 5 weeks till NYC... Murphy! I agree with Bugs. If you could just stick to a plan and do the work, I think you'd find yourself doing pretty well on the last half. Maybe even enjoying it... I'd love to see you get a better time, as I'm sure you would too! Cash, hope the calf is ok. Whenever I see "boy genius" in one of your posts, I say "uh oh..." And Dave... was this the run you wanted to label "Stupid?" Might be on to something there... Hope you heal up quick. Bugs, at first I thought you were saying your DH made the bedspread and pillow shams... then I realized it's the bed itself! Very cool. Looking forward to seeing a picture of whatever you come up with for your Halloween race! Kimmie, what's your goal marathon? What time are you hoping for? How many marathons have you done? (yes, I'm nosy...) Ok, got more work to do before I can go run.

Oh Mighty Wing

Erika - that wasn't in the masters forum it was in the 2000 miles forum! haha you are every where

Bugs

Erika, That was his first piece of furniture. It looks awesome. I want to paint that room but no way I'm risking more stress on these ankles during my taper. I forgot to go back and read your race report, just did. Wow your placement was awesome. Did you get a trophy or metal? Very cool! Around the 12 mile mark is that where you usually feel tired for this marathon? (I'd be tired at 9.) I'm not sure how one gets the guts to even attempt running a course like that. MTA, Shan you gonna run 2000 miles this year? Smile

Bugs

evanflein

Erika - that wasn't in the masters forum it was in the 2000 miles forum! haha you are every where
                              Hmmm, will have to check up on where WRFB posted that thing... that's three spots that I know of now! Big grin Bugs, there's a water stop just past 9 mile where I take my first Gu and get ready for the slow chug up the hill. By mile 12.5, you reach the first peak and get a downhill break that feels soooo good! Then you go back up and on to the Out-and-Back which is a series of shorter but steep ups and downs. Legs feel tired, but get breaks on the downhill. The big downhill part starting at 17 really rejuvenates me although it tears some runners apart. I like downhill stuff though. I think miles 21.5 to 23 are really really hard cuz it's rolling hills on road and dirt trail... sometimes just a little too much variety for tired legs. Then the first half of 25 is really hard cuz it's so steep. Nice downhill dash to the end, though! Off to go run for a bit. Lovely temps at just over 50F and the sun is shining! We might get snow this weekend!

Oh Mighty Wing

MTA, Shan you gonna run 2000 miles this year? Smile
                                cleary i like too surround myself with runners who are where i want to be. Wink