Marathon Trainers

10/13-10/20 (Read 248 times)

Oh Mighty Wing

Bugs - I really like running everyday. It is just important to learn to vary your pace. You will need to do recovery paces which will help get yourself moving but not put any real stress on the body. I hope you enjoy it. The mile a day group has some people who have been doing it for a long time and might be good to keep in mind if you have questions or want advice. Also Mikeymike runs every day. So what you are saying is instead of doing all easy and hill, try easy and fast? I'm not really looking for hills i just happen to have a bunch. Is it smart to do speed stuff while building?? Talk to me a little more about this, please.
      Hey everybody. Heres the link for tracking me during the marathon. If I feel particularly good, or particularly bad, I may post during the race from the blackberry during some walk breaks. For a live race report of sorts. But dont count on that. http://www.mtectracking.com:8080/Mtrack/Mtrack?raceid=3&pid=2532 My bib # is 2532 To make things tougher on myself, I am probably not staying there overnight. Couldnt get a room in walking distance since I signed up late. Its a little over an hour drive..and Ive driven to Columbus for races before. Its the drive back that will suck. Im going alone for this one.
      Kimmie

Hey Good luck Murphy! I didn't realize you were running this weekend. A friend is running it as well as part of her training for the JFK 50 miler. It looks like the weather will be great.

Oh Mighty Wing

Hey Good luck Murphy! I didn't realize you were running this weekend.
          Yeah he's a Caaarrrraaaazzzzyyyy animal! Big grin

Bugs

So what you are saying is instead of doing all easy and hill, try easy and fast? I'm not really looking for hills i just happen to have a bunch. Is it smart to do speed stuff while building?? Talk to me a little more about this, please.
            I'm saying go out and run really fast. Maybe do a 5K, mix it up. I've just found that when I feel sluggish sometimes and you think man "I'm stiff I better run easy" the legs feel better to go and run fast. But what the hello do I know???

Bugs

Thanks Kimmie, and yes Shan, I am crazy. I am also now officially excited for Las Vegas. It will happen this year. And the better news is starting in 2009 it will be the Rock 'N Roll Vegas marathon! So it will finally be a first class marathon, like it should be.

Oh Mighty Wing

I'm saying go out and run really fast. Maybe do a 5K, mix it up. I've just found that when I feel sluggish sometimes and you think man "I'm stiff I better run easy" the legs feel better to go and run fast. But what the hello do I know???
                I'm actually feeling really good. I'm just trying to stay ahead of issues that were happening before. But I think you are right about doing some speed stuff every once in a while to mix it up.

Dave

Good luck, Murph!! Legs are much better today. Good ice down last night. Will let judgement be the better part of valor and wait one more day before running. I am not about to screw up this marathon Big grin

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Bugs

I'm actually feeling really good. I'm just trying to stay ahead of issues that were happening before. But I think you are right about doing some speed stuff every once in a while to mix it up.
                    Fartlek, need to do more of it myself. Did it today, just short random sprints good for the mind and the legs, and requires not much more recovery than an easy run if you don't over do it. DAY 3 of STREAK! Dave, XTing??????????????

Bugs

evanflein

Bugs, isn't it a little cold out now for streaking? Big grin Shan, a little speedwork like some of the fartlek stuff Bugs is talking about would be fine, and I think it keeps things interesting. I'd die of boredom if I did all my runs "easy." Oh wait, I suck at running easy anyway, so whadoIknow... MrI, hopefully you'll be able to pop in every now and then. We thought you'd left us high and dry last time, not good. And yes, we'll fret around and post on old weeklies if you don't show up on Monday bright and early! Good decision, Dave. Go Murphy, you crazy you-know-what! And that's good news about Vegas, I know you had a lot of commitments tied to that one. I'll be pool running tonight and this weekend. Monday I'll probably see about getting an appointment for my foot. Still debating whether to go back to the podiatrist, or seeing my orthopedist... I'd be doing a "followup" with pod-doc but starting all over with ortho-doc. But I know ortho would do an x-ray... and I kinda wanna see what's going on in there...

Oh Mighty Wing

Can I still do hills? Does fartlek's count as speedwork?? If I want to do 1 day of hills, 1 longer run, and 1 day of hills is that too much?? Should i alternate weeks of hills/fartlek's??

Bugs

Can I still do hills? Does fartlek's count as speedwork?? If I want to do 1 day of hills, 1 longer run, and 1 day of hills is that too much?? Should i alternate weeks of hills/fartlek's??
                          I recommend you alternate, at least to begin with, although I've read for marathon training about putting hill work in specific phases. I plan to do that next time. I'm really thinking about starting kickboxing again. It's an interesting class, we all have our own bags and the instructor has us do some killer workouts like fartleks were it's one minute as fast you can, one minute slow, etc.. I really want to focus on building leg muscle over the winter and I think this will be great. But I'll probably only be able to go once a week. I have a bag in my basement, but it's not the same as being in class.

Bugs

Oh Mighty Wing

hmm I think every other week is good too. Especially since I'm just starting to build mileage. No need to rush things - if I try to move to fast I'm afraid I'll stop enjoying it!

Bugs

Bugs, isn't it a little cold out now for streaking? Big grin
                              YES! I've warn jogging pants the last few runs. Probably would not have had I been doing REAL running but this easy jog stuff, you my as well be warm.
                              I'll be pool running tonight and this weekend. Monday I'll probably see about getting an appointment for my foot. Still debating whether to go back to the podiatrist, or seeing my orthopedist... I'd be doing a "followup" with pod-doc but starting all over with ortho-doc. But I know ortho would do an x-ray... and I kinda wanna see what's going on in there...
                              I've really found that you need a doc with good sport injury experience. I mean I love my family doc, a runner, understands how important running is to me, specializes in sports medicine, but has pretty much over guessed every problem. Ugh, ticks me off just thinking how much money I spent last fall, and how one chiropractor visit is all it would have took. My pod did x-rays too. Well actually both docs did, but the pod said they had to be ones with stress, so I was standing. If they have you lay down, question WTH! If they want you to get orthotics (oh I hope not) I would highly recommend the soft ones. I didn't know any better and spent $600 on the ones he told me I needed. Since then I've learned that runners in general should have the soft ones, even if you need new orthotics sooner, get the soft ones.

Bugs

Dave

Bugs, I admit it. I hate crosstraining. It doesn't show up in my weekly mileage. Blush I'll run tomorrow. Shan, rule of thumb. Increase mileage or intensity but not both at the same time. Within reason.

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com