Drinkers with a Running Problem

Home Brewers... (Read 1606 times)

Prince of Fatness

Dubbel Trouble

Bottled this up this evening.  Some nice Belgian yeasty aroma and flavor.  It fermented down quite a ways, ABV is a little over 8%.  So far so good.

Not at it at all. 

Prince of Fatness

Dubbel Trouble tastes fantastic. Must hold back and let them age some.  Kitchen Sink Russian Imperial Stout came out nicely.  Some nice subtle roastiness.  Gonna age this one for quite a while.

Time to brew again.

Altbier

4 lb Vienna Malt

1 lb Light Munich Malt

4 oz Caramunich II

All Spaltz Hops (4.3% AA)

.75 oz  first wort

.50 oz  60 minutes

.25 oz  15 minutes

.25 oz  5 minutes

.25 oz  flameout

Wyeast 1007 German Ale yeast

Mash 152 degrees for 60 minutes, boil 60 minutes.  Chill and pitch yeast.

This alt yeast tolerates colder temperatures so this will ferment down in my basement where temperatures are in the low 60's max this time of year.  Could go colder using a cooler and frozen water bottles but I am lazy and do not feel like swapping them out every day.

Not at it at all. 

Feeling the growl again

Must hold back and let them age some.  

Good luck with that.  I tell that to myself about my red wine too, but last year's vintage is already half gone.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Prince of Fatness

Good luck with that.  I tell that to myself about my red wine too, but last year's vintage is already half gone.

Luckily I have tons of other beer to distract me.

Not at it at all. 

Prince of Fatness

Pouring that shpt out (OK, down my stomach) not only took bourbon away but also took a lot of oak away I think.  The bourbon was discolored and deliciously oakey.

I am gonna do this with a full 5 gallon batch.  Scotch ale with Glen Livet.  I am thinking that 5 times the cubes won't require 5 shots of Scotch depending on the container that I use.  I'll pour it all into the secondary.

It is time.  I will be brewing in my garage this coming Saturday.  I'm a little excited about this one.

Scotch Oaked Wee Heavy

13 lb Golden Promise

2 lb Light Munich Malt

4 oz Roasted Barley

1 oz  US Tettnang Hops (6.3% AA) 60 mins

.25 oz  East Kent Golding Hops (5.8% AA) 30 minutes

Wyeast 1728 Scottish Ale Yeast (1 quart starter)

Mash 154 degrees for 60 minutes.  Take one gallon of the first runnings and boil down separately to the consistency of maple syrup.  Should be about a quart.  Add that back into the main boil with 10 minutes left.  60 minute boil.  Chill and pitch yeast.

After 3 - 4 week primary rack to secondary on top of oak cubes that have been soaked in Glen Livet Scotch.  Pour the Scotch in as well.  Let sit for 2 months then bottle.

I made a Scottish Light using this basic recipe and it turned out really good so I scaled that recipe to style and batch size.  For Scottish Ales the style guidelines state that the sweetness and complexity should come from boiling down part of the wort instead of using caramel malts.  I was happy with the results last time I did this.  You science geeks can google maillard reaction for the gory details on how this works.

I figure with bottling in May these should be ready for consumption toward the holiday season.

Not at it at all. 

Prince of Fatness

Altbier

Bottled this last night.  Sample tasted like German malty goodness.

Scotch Oaked Wee Heavy

After 3 - 4 week primary rack to secondary on top of oak cubes that have been soaked in Glen Livet Scotch.  Pour the Scotch in as well.  Let sit for 2 months then bottle.

Racking onto the oak cubes will occur next week.  I have the cubes and the Glen Livet in a mason jar.  The scotch has blackened so much that it is hard to see the oak cubes in there.  Smells fantastic.

Not at it at all. 

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

When ya gonna get a real barrel?

WhoDatRunner

Will Crew for Beer

You should get him some empty Swamp Bourbon barrels.

Rule number one of a gunfight, bring a gun. Rule number two of a gunfight, bring friends with guns.

Feeling the growl again

Damn, I was 1 minute too slow getting to that punchline.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

That bad boy will be 150 gallons.

Feeling the growl again

I've had Finn's beer.  I guess I can suck it up and take the excess capacity off his hands.  Take one for the team.

That bad boy will be 150 gallons.

Prince of Fatness

I guess that I shouldn't have left the Swamp.  Sounds like I missed out on something.

Not at it at all. 

Prince of Fatness

Have thought of this, actually.  Small barrels are hard to come by.  LHBS has sold some but they were big ones (50 gal or so).  If I ever got my hands on a small barrel I would do it.  Why not?

Not at it at all. 

Prince of Fatness

I've had Finn's beer.  I guess I can suck it up and take the excess capacity off his hands.  Take one for the team.

BTW assuming that this Glen Livet experiment pans out I should have sufficient quantities to ship some out.

Not at it at all. 

Feeling the growl again

Small barrels are not hard to come by; you can buy them from any wine supplier like Midwest Supplies (LINK, 5gal).  Typical price is in the $200-$300 dollar range, IIRC.  But this is not bourbon-infused and they require some care.

Have thought of this, actually.  Small barrels are hard to come by.  LHBS has sold some but they were big ones (50 gal or so).  If I ever got my hands on a small barrel I would do it.  Why not?