Flying Pig 2010

Hotel question for the locals (Read 227 times)

Looking for some guidance from the locals.... My wife and I are staying at the Hilton Cincinnati Netherland Plaza. I have 2 questions 1) How difficult will it be to leave after the marathon and get back on the interstate. I have to leave around 12:00-12:30 to get home for my nephew's first birthday, and I have about a 4 1/2 hour drive back to Pittsburgh. Just wanted to make sure that there will be a relatively clear route with all the road closures and everything. 2) Is my wife within walking distance of the finish line. If so, is there some marker at the finish line where I can tell her to meet me? Also, it looks as though my hotel is located in a pretty nice area, but are there any streets/neighborhoods on the walk from the hotel to the finish line that are somewhat dangerous? Your local expertise is a huge help. One more thing, what are the odds I get booed if I wave a Terrible Towel while crossing the finish line......
      Looking for some guidance from the locals.... My wife and I are staying at the Hilton Cincinnati Netherland Plaza. I have 2 questions 1) How difficult will it be to leave after the marathon and get back on the interstate. I have to leave around 12:00-12:30 to get home for my nephew's first birthday, and I have about a 4 1/2 hour drive back to Pittsburgh. Just wanted to make sure that there will be a relatively clear route with all the road closures and everything. 2) Is my wife within walking distance of the finish line. If so, is there some marker at the finish line where I can tell her to meet me? Also, it looks as though my hotel is located in a pretty nice area, but are there any streets/neighborhoods on the walk from the hotel to the finish line that are somewhat dangerous? Your local expertise is a huge help. One more thing, what are the odds I get booed if I wave a Terrible Towel while crossing the finish line......
      You should be fine on both counts. Traffic won't be that bad, as the Pig finish is about a mile south of the hotel. The hotel is in a good area, and should pose no safety concerns. You can find hotel information here: http://www.flyingpigmarathon.com/welcome_cincinnati/travel/
        Any landmarks where I can meet my wife near the finish line?
          I would suggest that you get a map of the post race party area and use that. They should have them at the expo. There is a runner's only recovery area with food, drinks, etc. Once you exit that, you can just find a place to meet.
            Question #1 - Traffic should not be a problem. 7th street will take you to 71 north. Question #2 - The finish line is walking distance. Find Main Street and go south. (toward the river) Look for Great American Ballpark and US Bank Arena is right next door. If she wants to walk around the city just have her stay SOUTH of 7th street. The farther north you go the "not so nice" neighborhoods appear. Fountain Square is on 5th street and they have a big screen, which I would hope is showing the race. Where to meet? I like CfKid's idea. As for the Terrible Towel: Is this a Steelers thing? I will BOOOO the Steelers!!! So, will my kids. However, I will say good job runner/bib number. If you show the towel at the finish line, do you really care what people on the sideline think? You just ran 26.2 miles!!!

2012 Goals: No Injuries Run 1000 miles Bayshore Marathon- May Indy Full Marathon-October

As for the Terrible Towel: Is this a Steelers thing? I will BOOOO the Steelers!!! So, will my kids. However, I will say good job runner/bib number. If you show the towel at the finish line, do you really care what people on the sideline think? You just ran 26.2 miles!!! Yeah, it's a Steelers thing for sure. Though I'm a huge Steelers fan, and therefore I despise the Bengals, I have no intention of actually bringing a Terrible Towel to the race. I think it would be a little tacky, not to mention I have no clue where I would put the towel for 26.2 miles Just having a little fun at the expense of the long suffering Bengals fans.
                I was wondering where you would put that towel. Maybe your wife can hand it to you at the finish. It may make a great photo. You may be surprised how many Steeler fans are here. I think Ben is a Miami of Ohio grad. As a Bengals fan, there are 2 teams you can NOT like: Steelers and Browns! I work with a Browns fan (he grew up in Cleveland) and he says the same thing about Steelers and Bengals. I understand the "despise" relationship.

2012 Goals: No Injuries Run 1000 miles Bayshore Marathon- May Indy Full Marathon-October

Terrible towel would be a nice touch. ...but so would pulling a Sharpie out of your running shorts to sign your running shirt and throw into the crowd. How well you finish doesn't really matter. Big grin
                    Terrible towel would be a nice touch. ...but so would pulling a Sharpie out of your running shorts to sign your running shirt and throw into the crowd. How well you finish doesn't really matter. Big grin
                    I really like the Sharpie idea. I'm sorry I didn't think of it myself.