Harpeth Hills Flying Monkey Marathon

Monkey Training (Read 729 times)

I mean, you already know that sudden increases in distance/speed can sometimes lead to injury. But some people are really resillient, so maybe it won't affect you. And, anyway, I would agree that you're a lot faster than this time last year....so I'm sure your long run pace is a lot faster.
    Yea. Trent told me my bones are unbreakable though. I'm kind of counting on that. Wink Just kidding. I get where you're coming from. So did your leg just snap out of nowhere or were there warning signs? I'm good at listening to warning signs when i'm getting injured. What I do is I freak out, post a topic saying i'm injured, I back off, and then it goes away in an embarrassingly short amount of time. Except for when I strained my popliteus. That hurt. For months.

A big thing everyone may be missing is the fact that Candice is ~ 20 years younger than a lot of us. So while I'm trying to learn how to get better, it's good for me to remember I MAY not be able to train the way Candice does.
      Believe me...they know Big grin I've pointed it out a lot in our previous discussions on my training. Mostly when they tell me I run too fast. Tanya for the most part usually has my back. She lovingly points out that I could hurt myself and then says...."Eh...just tell em what now bitches". This is a reason we are friends.

This last Spring were the highest total miles per month for me ever. And I am old. I got injured and all, but whatever.
        37? Old? I'm thinking the injury may have had to do with the miles, not your (not old) age. My worst injuries were between the ages of 22-32 when I was more likely to ignore advice or warning signs. I run more miles now than I ever have, and I haven't been injured enough to stop running in a decade. Having said that, tomorrow one of my legs will fall off.

And why would you wish for the pRED guy to kick my ass? I though we was frenz - well at least virtual friends. Big grin
          Not kick your ass, just general "I'm too old to do that" ass. And I still think it's possible to train the way you did years ago, though training like when you were 15 may be a stretch. It is harder to recover which, for me anyway, just means that sometimes runs the next day are harder than they used to be. Or I have to sleep more. Or walk around looking like I got hit by a train. Or hurl at the finish line. Maybe you have a point.

The Thunder

Tanya, I just thought i'd let you know that I did the whole post race vomit thing this year too. First time ever in my life. I'm 31 and have been doing races since I was 17 yrs old and this year, at the end of the Chattanooga Waterfront Tri I finished, and vomited. It was glorious!

1 Hip and 2 Hamstring reconstructions later…

. So did your leg just snap out of nowhere or were there warning signs? I'm good at listening to warning signs when i'm getting injured. .
              Then you'll probably be okay. I was totally Casa-ian and felt pain in my ankle for a few weeks or more and ignored it because I had an important race coming up. Then it cracked in the middle of that race. It was sore to the touch, sometimes sharp--always there.

It was glorious!
                There really is something glorious about it, isn't there? Those who mock us are just jealous.

The Greatest of All Time

Now I am jealous. I better hurl all over Monkey.
                  all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be

Obesity is a disease. Yes, a disease where nothing tastes bad...except salads.

The Thunder

There really is something glorious about it, isn't there? Those who mock us are just jealous.
                    True dat!

Those who mock us are just jealous.
                      I almost hurled Sunday. Does this mean I raced? I thought it meant I was going to Candice, wouldn't allow myself, and so it tried to come up the other way. This has been happening a lot lately though...the need to puke. Even when i'm not running. I think Carl is acting up again.

I thought it meant I was going to Candice, wouldn't allow myself, and so it tried to come up the other way.
                        Just opened up a chocolate Luna Bar. Thanks.

Luna bars are gross. Don't eat that. Dead MTA: The lemon ones taste like wax.

The Thunder

Luna bars are gross. Don't eat that. Dead MTA: The lemon ones taste like wax.
                            I LOVE Luna bars!

Luna bars are gross.
                              ..and yet:
                              I thought it meant I was going to Candice, wouldn't allow myself, and so it tried to come up the other way.
                              "Gross" really is a subjective term, isn't it?

I LOVE Luna bars!
                                Thunder...you're not supposed to eat Luna bars. They're for women. Roll eyes