Low HR Training

Hadd HR Training Thread (Read 907 times)

BeeRunB

Hadd Info

Hey Gang,

Started anaerobic phase and decided to use Hadd's LT zones for speedwork. I started with the 2400 meter test on 12/29, and ran my first LT zone 1 run today (Initial LTHR or initial lactate threshold heart rate). A zone of  155-160 bpm.

In the HAdd materials it says that the goal in each zone is to be able run in the zone without loss of pace. Then you move to a zone 5 beats higher.

After taking 30 minutes to warm up to 155, the  1 hour run went like this:

10:00 156
    10:13 159 

10:31 159

10:35 159

10:34 159

08:07 159

5.77 miles 

10:23 pace

The slowing wasn't horrible at all. I stuck at 10:30ish for the last 3.77 miles.

My weekly schedule will contain two of these runs along with a long run. The rest is MAF recovery.

--Jimmy

Started anaerobic phase and decided to use Hadd's LT zones for speedwork. I started with the 2400 meter test on 12/29, and ran my first LT zone 1 run today (Initial LTHR or initial lactate threshold heart rate). A zone of  155-160 bpm.

Hi Jimmy,

just wondering why the 155-160 zone - did you plot your numbers and see a steep slope upwards at this pace on your test?

BeeRunB

Hi Jimmy,

just wondering why the 155-160 zone - did you plot your numbers and see a steep slope upwards at this pace on your test?

Hi Sean,

From The Hadd material:

"If your HRmax is 193 OR HIGHER, then the following applies:

HRmax: 193+ (even if over 200) Best possible HRmarathon: 175-177 HRav (note, this is the average taken from mile 5 to mile 25, not the peak. Your HR might peak to 181 in the final miles as you throw everything onto the fire).

Suggested training HR's: Easy every day running: 145 HR or lower (If you begin really unused to this form of training, initially you might start at 150, but as soon as the pace at this HR improves, it is recommended that you reduce your easy running HR to 145 or lower). This can often feel very slow to begin with, but should improve within 3-6 weeks and continue to improve for months. You may do as much running as you wish at this HR/ intensity (always being careful to avoid overuse injury).

Initial LTHR (initial lactate threshold heart rate): As with Joe in the example, begin at 155-160 and do not let the HR rise on the run. Build up the distance you can run for, over time, to 10 miles. At first, you may have to slow down within the run to maintain HR, but over the weeks and months, you should note that the running speed begins to remain more stable and you do not have to slow down (so much) to stop your HR rising. In time, the running pace at this HR (and all other HR’s above it) will also improve. Only move this HR up when your running pace vs HR is rock steady and you (easily) are able to run 10 miles at this HR without loss of pace or rise in HR. At that point, only move the HR up by 5bpm and begin again. The slower you build up the first time, the better your pace at HRmarathon will be. Remain at each HR as long as you are seeing improvement on the 2400m test and definitely until your pace vs HR is stable. You are trying to reach a state where your predicted/expected marathon pace and your 170 HR pretty much coincide in the 2400m test. And that this pace per mile can be maintained in training for 10-15 miles at 170-175 HR without rising effort or rising HR."

When I get to anaerobic prep time, I like to try different things. This time it's HAdd. I actually did this program back in 2004. Even started the first monster HRT thread back on Coolrunning while I was training that way (then Leitnerj began the LHRT threads, and here we are at RA). Thought I'd give it another try, except use MAF for the easy everyday running (which still fits the program). Along with the 2400 test, I'll be doing monthly MAF tests. 

--JImmyCool

BeeRunB

Todays tempo run:

09:40 158

09:44 159

09:51 159

09:58 159

10:00 159

10:00 159

00:47 160

1:00:00

6.08 miles

9:52 pace

Better than two days ago (10:23 pace). I attribute a lot of the improvement to the carboloading I've been doing. Not extreme, just eating extra. Trying to get the stores back up.

SLowing isn't too bad, considering I started the run at 61° and ended at 70°.  Plan to get back outside next week and do these on the trail.

--Jimmy

BeeRunB

Today's tempo run.

A little better.

Felt easier.

--Jimmy

Today's tempo run.

A little better.

Felt easier.

--Jimmy

Jimmy:

What is your normal pace at your MAF heart rate and what is your MAF heart rate?

Chris

BeeRunB

Jimmy:

What is your normal pace at your MAF heart rate and what is your MAF heart rate?

"Normal" wouldn't be the right word. It all depends when you catch me. You can look at my MAF tests over the past 5 years if you

want. Just go into my log and click on the MAF tests page.

Why do you ask?

Before I did my two-week test, my aerobic speed was about 10:30 and about 11:00 for a full 45 minutes test, give or take 15 seconds. I lost some of that during the test, but was probably just glycogen depletion. Everything seems to be coming back okay.

--Jimmy

p.s. all the base work prepared me nicely for this.

Why do you ask?

Before I did my two-week test, my aerobic speed was about 10:30 and about 11:00 for a full 45 minutes test, give or take 15 seconds. I lost some of that during the test, but was probably just glycogen depletion. Everything seems to be coming back okay.

--Jimmy

p.s. all the base work prepared me nicely for this.

I am trying to anticipate what my marathon pace will be after I have built a proper base.  If I improve to a 10:30 average pace for 15 miles at my MAF of 125, what will my marathon time be.

Just looking ahead.

Chris

BeeRunB

Ran on the bike trail today:

Hadd LT tempo run level 1 (click for log & comparison)

57°F  62% humidity

overcast, wind 15 mph

Warm-up

13:55 111

10:55 129

05:10 151

tempo run HR zone 155-160 bpm

9:33  158

9:29 159

8:48 161

9:06 160

9:26 160

9:35  161

4:03  159

1:00:00  6.41 miles @ ave pace: 9:21

Total miles 9.01  duration: 1:31:00  ave pace 10:05

Good run. Felt a little harder the last two miles than it has on the TM. No significant slowing. I'm thinking of bumping up to 70 minutes next week, and if there is still no slowing after a few weeks there, I'll go to the 160-165 zone.

--Jimmy

BeeRunB

HAdd LT Level1

Getting a little faster at the same HR.

--Jimmy