Low HR Training

Losing the Blubber...cooling the core... (Read 2314 times)

jdazzle

'Tis the season, mostly for gift giving, overeating, and slothlike tendencies.   I'm going to try to stave off excess weight gain this year by starting my weight loss efforts early, hence the re-birth of this thread.  Feel free to play along!

Wednesday weigh in (Week 1)

Start Weight:  183.4 lbs

I've got a couple of holiday parties this week, so we'll see how everything goes.  I've taken off enough time from my last race to recover, so I need to get back on the horse and start my base training so I don't lose every bit of my fitness!

I'm sure Christmas and New Year is not a good time to actually lose weight, but avoiding putting any on is a goal.

My wife and I usually give up alcohol, chocolate, cakes, biscuits etc. for January - which normally works for a couple of kilos.

Anyway - this morning 79 kg. I'd like to get down to at least around 75kg by the time of the Paris marathon in April.

BeeRunB

DAZZ and 100,

Thanks for starting this thread again.

Started weight-loss on April 21, 2010

Here's today's weigh-in:

174 lbs.  (start184 lbs.)

waist 40"  (start 42")

neck 15"  (start 15")

bodyfat  27.7% (start 31%)

fat lbs. 48.12  (start 57.04 lbs.)  loss=8.84 lbs. of lard

lean lbs. 125.88 (start 126.96)  loss=1.08 ibs. of boof

During an extremely high stress period during the summer where my body and sleep were completely discombobulated,  I actually had gotten down to 162 pounds. My MAF tests had tanked from 11:29 pace to 15:12 nearly overnight, and I wasn't feeling right. After the stress let up and my sleep and body normalized, I stopped paying attention to what I was eating (although I did make sure it was getting in my mouth and that I wasn't impaling my cheeks with a fork), and stopped weighing myself. My sugar intake increased. MY MAF tests came back quickly when the stress let up. I finally weighed myself, and was back up to 167, a started to gain nearly a pound of week. Finally, about 4 weeks ago, I  put my foot down when I saw 174, and cut out 95% of my sugar intake. That stopped the weight gain.Since April, I still have lost weight and bodyfat overall. Just a bit of a "down market".

-Jimmy

gregw

Our scale broke 2 days before I went on vacation and my last reading was 156 on 5 August.  I was a bit worried I might have gained weight, so I stopped by the gym at work.  The first scale I stepped on said 152.0 (digital) and I thought that couldn't be right.  There was another scale, a doctor's scaled, and it said 152.5.  Holy cow.  I'm down 9 pounds since I ran 40:02 for 10k.  Unfortunately I'm down from ~65 to 50 mpw also, but I'm still hopeful I'll crush 40 minutes.  I never thought I'd lose this weight, but it's been easy.

Well, this turned out to be an anomaly.  I was at ~155 through the summer before I had my peroneal tendon injury.  I've been creeping up since and an in the 157-158 range now, so my plans to "crush" 40 have gone by the wayside :-(

I'm hoping to stay <158 through the new year and then get back down to 155.  I was sick last week and got down to 153, but that came back quickly Smile

BeeRunB

The Blubber Crew is back in action.

Petco Run/Walk/Wag 5k

ok, I'll commit... my weight has almost creeped back up to where it was (178) when I had my blessed heart attack in March 08! Have to get it down. Still its better than my weight of 222 lbs in 2000!

176.5 lb this morning. 

bob e v
              2014 goals: keep on running! Is there anything more than that?

Complete the last 3 races in the Austin Distance Challenge, Rogue 30k, 3M Half, Austin Full

Break the 1000 mi barrier!

History: blessed heart attack 3/15/2008; c25k july 2008 first 5k 10/26/2008 on 62nd birthday.

ok, I'll commit....

+1

I'm new to the board. I'm not 100% new to LHR training, but have never tried to do it exclusively for any period of time.

My weight has been slowly creeping down the last few weeks after hitting a high of around 160 earlier this fall. The last few years have seen me hit 2 'growth spurts' that greatly increased my weight. I need to lose quite a bit to get down to any kind of racing weight.

This week's weigh in: 155.2

BeeRunB

+1

I'm new to the board. I'm not 100% new to LHR training, but have never tried to do it exclusively for any period of time.

My weight has been slowly creeping down the last few weeks after hitting a high of around 160 earlier this fall. The last few years have seen me hit 2 'growth spurts' that greatly increased my weight. I need to lose quite a bit to get down to any kind of racing weight.

This week's weigh in: 155.2

Welcome, Pete. We're very interested in %body fat here in the blubber thread. You want make sure the fat is dropping without too much loss of muscle. There's a calculator here, if you're interested:

http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/library/blbodyfatcalculator.htm

155 is a nice weigh-in!

--Jimmy

Welcome, Pete. We're very interested in %body fat here in the blubber thread. You want make sure the fat is dropping without too much loss of muscle. There's a calculator here, if you're interested:

http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/library/blbodyfatcalculator.htm

155 is a nice weigh-in!

--Jimmy

Let me re-weigh in. Today I used my body fat scale. I get that it isn't accurate, but I still use it anyway.

156/22.5

For the record, my half marathon PR was run almost exactly three years ago at 125/12.5, so I've got a long way to go, though I don't plan on getting that low.

12.5% body fat? that's nice low Smile this calculator jimmby just posted a link to has me at 19.5%.

gregw

Frightening weigh-in tonight:  159.4.  Hoping it's an anomaly as it would mean I've gained almost everything back since May.  Hate to think I spent all this time sugarless and end up with nary a PR out of it.

Frightening weigh-in tonight:  159.4.  Hoping it's an anomaly as it would mean I've gained almost everything back since May.  Hate to think I spent all this time sugarless and end up with nary a PR out of it.

Weight moves around quite a bit day to day, and through the day. 

To try and get rid of some of the noise it's best to weight straight after getting out of bed, having just done a pee. Even then it'll still move around a fair bit day to day.

BeeRunB

Here's today's weigh-in.

Next weigh-in post Christmas!

--Jimmy

Date 4/21/2010 12/21/2010
                            lbs. 184 174
                            waist
                            42"
                            39"
                            neck
                            15"
                            15"
                            %bodyfat
                            31.0%
                            26.1%
                            fat lbs.
                            lean lbs.
                            gregw

Weight moves around quite a bit day to day, and through the day. 

To try and get rid of some of the noise it's best to weight straight after getting out of bed, having just done a pee. Even then it'll still move around a fair bit day to day.

I have a protocol where I always weight myself after work before dinner.  It makes it pretty consistent.  I violated that for this (ate first), so it's not really a counter.  I weigh pretty frequently and track the trend.  In reality, I think I'm at about 158 flat (based on the moving average).

I heard that weighing yourself the first thing in the morning (after going to the bathroom) will result in less variation (or noise).  That is what I do, and I see 177 almost every morning.

I finally invested in a more accurate scale.  We bought a brand by Taylor, that I think is great.  It actually has 0.1 pound increments, but I think it is accurate to within a pound.  Our old scale used to round to the nearest even number.  Not very accurate.

If you just drink two cups of water, that is a pound.  If you had a big meal, and you are still digesting it, that could be a few pounds.  Weight varies a lot due to a lot of things.