Masters Running

Fri Jan 04 Daily Runs (Read 765 times)

evanflein

Soundie... wondering if your run Wednesday wasn't a bit too much... long distance for you anyway, but the tough conditions make it even harder... Take this rest day and make the most of it. And thanks on the mill. I have no guilt. Big grin
    Tramps

Looks like Britney is in the news again - that's the only thing I remember from the news this morning - that and the Iowa caucus results.
      Britney Spears won the Iowa caucus? I gotta start reading the paper more closely. Good to see Roy and Woody start us off. Cheers for the prodigal dog’s return. Soundie--like others, I'm impressed with that photo, impressive-looking course too. Ribs & DH—chess is the game with horsies and castles, right? Steve, Steve, Steve—do you think it’s wise for a southerner to start showing photos of ice-chunks? In that game, the northerners will bury you quicker than you can scream, “avalanche!” Heck, Tall’s running in -22F for a date! Suck it up, buddy. When it’s in the 90s with 100% humidity, then you can whine. Since I’m not training for a marathon, I ignored the advice on Holly’s speedwork thread and headed to the track today for some intervals...something I never do. I took it easy with long rests, though. I aimed for just faster than tempo pace to establish a baseline and get used to the feel of (semi-)speed. Total 6.5 miles --2 miles warm-up --5 x 800 w/400 rests (3:28, :26, :26, :23, :17) --1 mile cool down (Hmmm, while recording this, I just realized this is almost exactly my 5K pace.) [dumb questions] 1. when you record them, do you sort out the intervals from rest periods and post separately? 2. when you do intervals do you program your Garmin in advance to automatically record them, or do you just hit “lap” manually at the appropriate time? [/dumb questions]

Be safe. Be kind.

evanflein

heh Tramps, good advice to Steve. As for your intervals question, I'm looking forward to the answers as I'd like to know, too!
        Tramps

heh Tramps, good advice to Steve.
          With DH gone for the weekend, somebody's gotta hand out the tough love around here.

Be safe. Be kind.

Perchy, you know they're right... I almost complained too much about the measly 19 degrees we had this morning and then evanflein's snowy eyebrows photo popped into my brain and I declined further comment on the weather... At least you could've ended with, "...just the way I like it" (edited because I re-read your note and you said you totally enjoyed the run....that sort of works) Ribs, the girl is trying to strangle me...
            LaVita
            Teresadfp

One day at a time

Yeah, I think I would particularly hate getting hit by a moose...that's gotta hurt... Big grin
              Uh, it does. I was with my husband, 3 kids, and a friend when we hit a moose in northern Maine while we were driving our Chevy Tahoe. Thank God we were in a Tahoe, or I might not be writing this! He approached from the right, at full speed. I was in the passenger seat. I could see his head (including bloodshot eyes!) and antlers directly in front of me before he crased into the windshield. The windshield cracked and stove in, but didn't break. The moose's body swung around and hit the entire side of the truck. Each of the two side windows broke totally, so a bunch of glass showered over us. Most of us were wearing glasses, but my middle son wasn't, and he got a little glass in his eyes. It was very scary! It was so remote that there was no cell phone reception. A water truck stopped and the driver just said, "Well, you gotta watch for moose on these roads!" #*@(! Then a pickup truck from New York stopped, and had us follow him to civilization to make sure we were OK. We got checked out at an ER. It took over a week to replace the side of the truck, the glass, etc. A year and a half later, we're still finding tiny pieces of glass!
                Ok, ok I will try to remember never to complain about running in the cold again! Gee, and some people think I am nuts! Smile perchcreek is running in 14F, LaVitaDolce in 19F, and Tallrunner in -22F (sure it was not -22F outside while you two were on the treadmill? Shocked Hmm . . .). Compared to all this my 10.25mi@8:10 seems like a relative warm run! But boy was it cold! Cloudy, damp, breezy I was freezing half the time. I hate running in the cold. Where is spring when you need it! Gee, looks like my memory is not too good. Wink

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

SteveP

Roy, it's always a good day when you start us off. Steve, how did your whole job interview thing go? We all got a bit lost in the forum shift.
                  I've got a job with my old company if I can wait till the end of Feb or early March. I had a temp gig and two days after I started the guy I worked for had to have hernia surgury. I worked for him a week later for two days and he had to have his foot worked on. It looks like I'm back on Monday though. I've never seen that before PearchCreek. Brrr.
                  0530 Hey SteveP Glad DW is recovering all right. What kind of car did she get? .
                  A Crystler Seabring (SP)? With heated leather seats and a moon roof. She won't let me moon from it though. Jeepers BAP. Hang in there. Holly, your MIL sounds like an insperation. 6.82 miles on a treadmill. No moose attack though I thought I saw a flying squirrell with goggles on. I was not hit by a car nor chased by wolfs. Did not get frost bite. Still, the view got familiar kinda quick.

SteveP

Afternoon folks! It felt almost balmy at 21F this afternoon while I was running. I ran 2.7 miles to the bike trail at a relaxed pace and then ran 4 x .75 miles with 2 minute rest sections at easy pace. I didn't quite hit 7:15 pace----5:06 (6:48 pace), 5:21, 5:20, 5:08....whoops---all over the place. I ran 3 miles for a cool down and ended up at my son's school. 9.3 miles total. The local running club marks off the trail in .25 mile increments with streamers. I was loving that! What a blast.....his middle school is adjacent to a huge park so they do quite a lot of outdoor adventure activity for gym class. I arrived just as the kids were strapping on their snow shoes. I was on strict orders not to use any of my son's nicknames (Stinky, Scooter, McDude, Doodle, Dudemeister, Fart Blossom....etc) and it was all I could do not to greet him with a zinger. Anyway, I behaved and had a blast snow shoeing with the kids all over the park. So happy it's Friday... Soundrunner---your running plans sound fine to me as long as the icky feeling disappears soon. I am a two week taper girl myself---three weeks is too much. That said, rest is good if you are feeling low on reserves. Trust your ability----you are strong. Added----Oh my goodness Teresa.....I am so glad you are still here to tell us about the moose incident. Yowsa! As I was driving home from UNH last night I worried about the moose crash possibilities as I wended my way through Keene, NH and Northfield, MA. The creatures were out in force too. Scary. Off to drive McStinky to hockey practice (he's over my shoulder and yelling at present). CNYrunner
                    evanflein

It was so remote that there was no cell phone reception. A water truck stopped and the driver just said, "Well, you gotta watch for moose on these roads!"
                      Well, yeah... and your point is? Heh, no cell phone reception and overly "helpful" passersby... sounds like home!! Honestly, I'm glad to hear that you all came out of that experience more or less ok... We've already had two situations here where the driver did not fare so well. And in my original post, I didn't mean hitting a moose... I mean literally being hit (and basically mowed down) by a moose. Had one chase me out by the barn years ago when feeding the horses. When running with a headlamp you see them just as you're right up next to them! But basically, I'm just tired of the cold. My coldest run was an 18 miler a couple years ago where it was -18 up at my house where I started, and -23 at the low spot about half way through. Don't really care to do that again...
                      Tramps

Hey Evanflein, totally off-topic but last night I watched John Sayles' 1999 film, "Limbo" and liked it a lot. Do you know it? It was filmed down in Juneau and is worth a look if you get a chance. That's not your neck of the woods, I realize, but I suspect there's some commentary about Alaska, tourists, etc, that you'd appreciate.

Be safe. Be kind.

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Well, yeah... and your point is? Heh, no cell phone reception and overly "helpful" passersby... sounds like home!! Honestly, I'm glad to hear that you all came out of that experience more or less ok... We've already had two situations here where the driver did not fare so well. And in my original post, I didn't mean hitting a moose... I mean literally being hit (and basically mowed down) by a moose. Had one chase me out by the barn years ago when feeding the horses. When running with a headlamp you see them just as you're right up next to them! But basically, I'm just tired of the cold. My coldest run was an 18 miler a couple years ago where it was -18 up at my house where I started, and -23 at the low spot about half way through. Don't really care to do that again...
                          Ooh, I hadn't thought about being run down by a moose when you're on foot! I will rethink running when we're at our cabin, I guess. Hmm. Always something to worry about!
                          evanflein

Hmmm Tramps, haven't heard of that one. Will have to check it out. Thanks!
                              Those darn moose. I didn't know they were so prevalent in NH. Soundrunner, I think your photo highlighted a new application for the term "icy hot". Erika, we are all glad you have a treadmill now, don't listen to Tall. I had an "opposite day" run today, everything turning out different than I expected. First there was the downpour in the morning that almost kept me on the TM. But, having just received my awesome wind jacket yesterday I couldn't wait to try it out. So 6 miles of hills. It was so WARM (almost 50F!), the jacket came off after 1 mile. Then the rain stopped and the sun came out. I had the wind at my back for the first part of my run, and was eagerly anticpating a headwind on the return leg (so I could test the jacket), but the wind, like the rain, dissappeared! How often does the wind work with you folks? I felt like I had a little patch of blue sky following me around today. Smile Finished up with 3 more miles on the TM, at a much faster pace than I expected to run today. When I finished and left the gym it was pouring and windy again. Big grin 9 miles total.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

wildchild

Carolyn

Steve, Steve, Steve—do you think it’s wise for a southerner to start showing photos of ice-chunks? In that game, the northerners will bury you quicker than you can scream, “avalanche!” Heck, Tall’s running in -22F for a date! Suck it up, buddy. When it’s in the 90s with 100% humidity, then you can whine.
                                Big grin Tall, I think your new lady must be pretty smitten with you, as well, if she's agreeing to a run at -22F! She sounds like a keeper! Erika, glad you found Cheyenne! I know how worried we get when one of our dogs goes AWOL. I can't imagine running 18 miles in below zero temps! Of course, I've never even run 18 miles in nice weather... No whining from me about the weather here today. (I wouldn't dare in present company!) It's 50 degrees and very windy. I ran 3.3 miles at lunchtime - the first half was tough because of the headwind, but the second half was a blast! I'll also post yesterday's run, as I was out of town on business and couldn't post. I ran 3 miles on the treadmill at the hotel in Santa Fe at 6 am. Then went to a very long and contentious meeting with the state environment dept.but we ended up getting all the permit conditions we asked for! Good runs, all. Happy Friday!

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.