Masters Running

Thursday's Daily, 7.6.17 (Read 37 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Wednesday’s workouts:
    Dave (5 humid morning miles)
    Tramps (morning knee/hip exercises + core work + lawn mowing)
    RunnerKSA (3.1 miles + 2 post-work TM miles)
    Holly (40 min of weights & core)
    Tomwhite (20 min at the Greenway w/ racing crutches + 40 min pool running w/letters)
    BerthaSlayer (6 EZ miles)
    Jlynne (3 morning miles + 18 golf holes)
    Marj (bike errands, almost chicking a millennial)

Flats (7+ EZ-PZ miles)

Pfriese (800 meter swim)

Mike (10 miles in hot 90°Wink

C-R (seriously-humid 4K evening XC race)

Mariposai (4 early smile miles)

Catwhoorg (5 lunch-time miles + 16 post-work bike miles)

Dave, 18 years of July 4th racing is more than a minor tradition! Nice racing in the dreaded ‘H.’

Tramps, I also can’t imagine waking up with nothing to do. Good luck with your Tuesday sports doc app’t, and sorry about the limbo till then. Yep - OSAAT.

How’d stage 1 go, Tammy? I have a hard time falling asleep with someone else’s hands in my mouth - how do you do it?

Tomwhite, I appreciate that you always have helpful suggestions/information to pass on. Thanks!

Jlynne, just keep setting a good example for DH, and maybe some of it’ll rub off. I haven’t seen it, but I love the title of that HBO show (If You’re Not in the Obit, Eat Breakfast&rdquoWink. Then again, I never read the news before breakfast…

Marj, I don’t take any classes, but my volunteer projects don’t give me a lot of time for that. I suppose that’s an acceptable trade off? Thanks for the advice on strength training vs. aerobics.

I'm glad your foot is feeling better, Paul.

Hot stuff, indeed, Mike!

Sounds like a great local race series, C-R.

We found out late yesterday that a lady cheated in one of our series races by having another woman run with her bib so she'd get credit for a race she didn't complete. So I'll be sending her a note this morning explaining why she is DQ'd and out of this year's series. Stoopid.

I woke up late (4:30) this morning, so I had to hurry to get 4.25 RW miles done in time to get stretched, showered and the coffee going before it was time to wake DW. I KT-taped my shin and IT band this morning, and both were fine all during the workout, so I was able to push the pace a little. It was 61°, with a hint of developing mugginess.

Have a greta Thursday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

I hate that, Jay! (the cheating).  How can you feel as though you have accomplished something if someone runs FOR you!  Geez.

3 miles. Very light rain in the beginning but just like a fine sprinkler or something.  Stopped by 1/4 mile.  My concession was to not take my iPod and headphones.   1.6  miles on the treadmill after work.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

We found out late yesterday that a lady cheated in one of our series races by having another woman run with her bib so she'd get credit for a race she didn't complete. So I'll be sending her a note this morning explaining why she is DQ'd and out of this year's series. Stoopid.

Why would anyone want to take credit for a race they didn't run? Last month I bailed on a 4 miler because of bad weather and felt guilty picking up the t-shirt for a race I didn't run. I just don't get how you could feel good about that...

RunnerKSA - technically, I don't think you broke any rules since it was just a "sprinkle" and it stopped while you were still running.

Glad the KT tape helped this morning Jay. And 4:30 is getting up late? Wow!

Hey C-R! Good to see your post yesterday.

Good luck with the next step of that crown procedure Tammy.

Hi Marj! Where are we going on our next trip?

It was already 70° and muggy when I got up this morning, and I didn't feel like dealing with H&H so I headed to the Y. An hour on the elliptical, 15 minutes on the rowing machine and 30 minutes of weights and core stuff. We volunteered for the LPGA tournament that is being played here this week, so DH and I will be heading out shortly. Forecast is for temps in the 90's and lots of humidity. Those ladies will have a tough walk on the golf course today.

Hope the weather is good where you are this morning!

Tramps

I just can't fathom someone cheating in a local race series. Crazy. I sort of "get" pros doping and stuff. It's their livelihood, intense pressures in the subculture, etc.  There's a lot at stake.  But a local road race series?!  Come on!

Jlynne--have fun at the golf tournament.

Twocat--thanks. Yup, I know.  Zero interest in scoping.  Nothing good will come of that.

CR--thanks, yeah, all roads seem to lead to PT. (That sounds like a really nice event you had.)

Just my hip/knee exercises today.

I get to have a colonoscopy tomorrow.  Oh boy.

It's been a week.

Be safe. Be kind.

It was already 70° and muggy when I got up this morning, and I didn't feel like dealing with H&H so I headed to the Y.

Hope the weather is good where you are this morning!

Hey Jlynne- our weather is exactly like yours. We will be over 90° today. It is good if you plan to be floating on an air mattress in the lake! Not so good for running, golf and such.  Have fun on the golf course.  I want to start playing golf again, maybe next year.  I want you to know how much I appreciated your post yesterday about retirement. MrStarr used to say that he'd never completely retire, that he'd always be doing something. He was self-employed as a home inspector. Well, last summer he was sidelined with this anxiety/depression and forced to take a break. It would be nice if he would think about getting back into it. Like your DH, coaxing and pleading with him to do some exercise is futile. I was planning to retire at 62 when he turns 65 but am seriously considering working for another year or two.

Have a greta day!

“Courage is not defined by those who fought and did not fall, but by those who fought, fell, and rose again.” — Adrienne Rich

TammyinGP

well I guess there were no worries about me drifting off during stage 1 of a crown implant. nope. not that relaxing. Although my dentist does have quite the knack for injecting the anesthesia and you never even know she's doing it. Today my jaw is just sore from being open for 2 hrs last night. 

I don't understand cheating on a local club series race either. Do you have big $$ at stake here? Hope the note you'll be sending will not only serve as an embarassment to her for getting caught, but be a lesson learned that that is just bad sportsmanship all around.  

MN is well represented here: Starr is also from MN. I wonder if there are any other states represented here with as many current posting members as MN?

eta: sorry, just realize I'm cross posting a bit with a conversation over in the race report thread in  re: MN runners.  so if you have no idea why I mentioned that - you can read the RR thread. Which you should anyways as there was some good racing this past weekend.

Tammy

pfriese

Warm, muggy morning with no breeze(!); perfect weather for a 31 mile bike ride.

Paul

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

MN is well represented here: Starr is also from MN. I wonder if there are any other states represented here with as many current posting members as MN?

eta: sorry, just realize I'm cross posting a bit with a conversation over in the race report thread in  re: MN runners.  so if you have no idea why I mentioned that - you can read the RR thread. Which you should anyways as there was some good racing this past weekend.

well, MA has Robin, Marj, Henrun and me.  And CNY, if we could drag her back.  If we count all of New England (combined probably smaller than MN ) we could also claim Jay (NH) and Milktruck (ME).   Not sure which side of the Sox/Yankees dividing line TwoCat (CT) falls on,  but maybe him, too. Of course, they may not WANT to be claimed. Oh yeah, LaTortuga and Deez, now that my memory begins to function a little better.

Isn't it always worth trading your integrity for a jacket?

Tramps--hope you're handling all these fun experiences well.

A bit behind on running notes.  5 Maine miles on Sunday (the big hill won this round) and 3.1 lake loop miles yesterday.  None fast, but they keep me moving.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

TammyinGP

yes, NE region does have a large contingent. Once upon a time, Washington had a lot of posters too - some have dropped off though.

Tammy

Marathon Maniac #957

How can you feel as though you have accomplished something if someone runs FOR you!  Geez.

Precisely.  Does your club put out a newsletter that you could prominently feature the story in?

I am seriously under the gun at work (again).  In the first 6 months of 2017, we have almost made as much in Elder Law (which is pretty much all me) as we did all year in 2016.  I am swamped with work.  Add to that the DH and I are going to Norris Lake with 3 other couples for a 4 day weekend next week (...On the Pontoon ...), then taking our family vacation to Rocky Mountain National Park from 7/29-8/5.   The good news is that they just hired another paralegal who is supposed to eventually be splitting her time between probate and helping me with the elder law cases, but it will take some time for her to be trained enough to be helpful.  Still, it gives me hope...

5 miles for me today in 71 and 87%.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Mike E

MM #5615

I wish I knew what Tammy was talking about.

catwhoorg

Labrat

5 lunch miles in conditions even worse than yesterday.

About a mile from the office (on my way back) the thunder started. Rain followed. Got back before it got real heavy

We were not supposed to get pop ups until later this afternoon.

5K  20:23  (Vdot 48.7)   9/9/17

10K  44:06  (Vdot 46.3)  3/11/17

HM 1:33:48 (Vdot 48.6) 11/11/17

FM 4:13:43 (Vdot 35.4) 3/4/18

TammyinGP

I wish I knew what Tammy was talking about.

oddly, you aren't the first to say that.

Tammy

BerthaSlayer

MM#5991

I know a lot of people "donate" or sell their bibs for races but geesh  I don't get the having someone run FOR you concept.

8 miles for me today. Pace work. Nailed it. And I did it myself. lol

Lori

*it's Bertha or me. My money is on me.*

**"There is no growth in the comfort zone and no comfort in the growth zone".---- Sandy**

Dave59

There is a local summer race series here which it's run in the evenings and doesn't sound like much fun to me but maybe i could find someone to run them for me.  

I've picked up a few shirts from races that i couldn't run. It doesn't bother me since i figure i have supported the cause and the sponsors get some more advertising. But if it was a big, well known event I probably wouldn't do that. People might ask me about it and I'd have to explain that i didn't really run it.

My wife picked me up souvenirs from the Dublin Marathon because she was in Ireland on race weekend. I do wear those because the quality is excellent . Fortunately, no one ever asked me how i liked the run.

I'm in the office today but i hope to stop at the gym on the way home. 50/50 chance of doing that.