Masters Running

Scotland vacation pictures (Read 368 times)

wildchild

Carolyn

Scotland is awesome! 

Yes, I have Scottish heritage - my maiden name is Graham. This must be a family business.

We flew to Glasgow, rented a car, and drove north. The roads were super narrow: here's a bus coming the other way...

Lots of cool castles!

This is Cawdor Castle, where we took a tour:

We drove up to the north coast, where the scenery was wonderful. This is north of Durness, looking out toward Cape Wrath.  (great name!) 

We hiked out to Fariad Head, in search of Puffins, which nest on the cliffs. We saw one, but it flew away before I got a picture. Here's DH and DD hiking above the cliffs.

This is an old church on Faraid Head.

We drove down the west coast, and stayed at a town called Torridon.  We took a day hike up Beinn Madh, and had views out over the sea to the Isle of Skye and the Outer Hebrides.

The lower slopes were covered with rhododendron, which is actually considered an invasive species there, but it sure is pretty when it's in bloom.

Next, we drove out to the Isle of Skye.  We hiked out to a place called the Quoirang, on the Trotternish peninsula, full of weird and beautiful rock spires.

We stopped and visited another cool castle, Eilean Donan. 

Then we dropped our rental car off in Inverness, and took a bus to Drumnadrochit for the beginning of the hiking part of our trip.  We started with a visit to Urqhart Castle on the banks of Loch Ness.

We hiked part of the Great Glen Way, a long distance hiking route from Inverness to Ft. William.   Didnt' see Nessie, but saw lots of cool scenery. We hiked about 25 miles of this route over 3 days, staying in hostels.

I aksed DH and DD to pose for a picture, and they did:

I would have liked to hike the whole route, but with time constraints, we took a bus south, and started hiking on the West Highland Way.  This runs from Ft. William to Glasgow.  We did the section along Loch Lomond, about 20 miles in 2 days.

We saw several feral goats along the trail.

At the end of the trail, we stayed in Loch Lomond youth hostel, which looked like a castle:

On our last day, we stopped in a small town called Balloch, and watched some local kids doing a scottish dancing demonstration.

I'll finish with one of my favorite pictures of DD at Urquardt Castle on Loch Ness.

Thanks for reading!

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

absolutely beautiful pictures - looks like a great vacation!!

denise

Mariposai

Lovely pictures. What a great experience! Thanks for taking us along this journey. What an amazing adventure for the whole family. Great hiking miles too. Did the youth hostiles work well for you guys? In my heart that is the way I would like to tour Europe.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Marathon Maniac #957

What an awesome vacation!  I can only dream of such things, because DH would never go for a hiking vacation, but like Mariposai said, in my heart that's how I would rather see the world.  Thanks for sharing!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Great pictures of a fantastic vacation.  I'm jealous.

TomS

SteveP

The whole trip sounds way too kewl!!!

Thanks for the pictures!!

You've been missed.

SteveP

....VERY Cool//...........love those pictures.......

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

coastwalker

Hi Carolyn,

Thanks for sharing those fantastic photos of your fabulous trip! I love the look of the places you visited, and their names are wonderful too!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Top 'O the World!

Beautiful!! (jealous)   I've read lots about many of the areas that you traveled - amateur history nut here... DH & I have been talking about taking just such a tour of Ireland (maiden name Moore) sometime in the near future
                    Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group
                      Very Nice!!!  Thanks for sharing those.

Courage ! Do one brave thing today...then run like hell.

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Looks like a great reason to be away from us for so long.   Of course, where you hang out all the time is a place I'D love to spend some time.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Those are wonderful pictures.  I'd love to take that trip (there's a bit of Scotch in my mom's side).  Thanks for posting them.

grins,

A

ps: There's a marathon in NC, Grandfather Mountain, that finishes right in the midst of the Scottish Games.  Lots of folks in kilts dancing and performing.  Perch and I ran that a few years back; it was beautiful.  In case you want an in-country Scottish trip for next year....

Masters 2000 miles
                          evanflein

What beautiful photos! That's just stunning country, isn't it? We took a trip to Ireland a few years ago with a group. Too much "tour" stuff for my taste, would've preferred more what you and your family did. But it was gorgeous country and I love the history in the castles, the churches and the towns. Thanks so much for sharing!

I look my best blurry!

Wow! That is an awesome vacation and beautiful pictures! My mom's maiden name is Graham, which is what I named my son. I really don't know much about my heritage. This makes me want to believe my "family" is there. I should go visit them! I wish I was so worldly.
                              Henrun

Wonderful photos Carolyn. I was there abut 20 years ago, but it was quite rainy until we got to Edinborogh. I still have fond memories of the trip.