Masters Running

3000m Racewalk RR (Read 253 times)

coastwalker

The USATF Masters 3000m Racewalk was held at the Reggie Lewis indoor track in Boston on Sunday afternoon. It was one of the final events in what had been a 3-day Masters Track & Field Championships. "Masters" in this case meant people over 30. This was my first race at Reggie Lewis, and my first ever 3000m judged racewalk. So there were a few jitters...

The drive to Reggis Lewis from NH was easy, and took just over an hour. I checked in about 15 minutes before the women's 3000m race. There were few enough women entered that there was going to be just one heat for all age groups (which were in 5 year segments). The woman who has been the guest instructor at some of my racewalking clinics, Erin Taylor, took the lead at the start and was never challenged. She finished in 15:15 (8.11 pace). She was fluid and incredibly powerful.

There were enough men entered to have 3 heats. The first group up was ages 65+. I was next in the 55-65 group, and the 30-55 group would be last. I had done some stretching and strides in the infield, and was as ready as I was going to be. The 6-lane, 200 meter track was gently banked around the turns, with a curb on the inside of lane one. The race was 15 laps around the track. There were 5 judges around the track, looking for potential rules infractions, and ready to waive a yellow paddle (a 'caution') at those who looked to be in violation of one of the racewalking rules. There was a board in the infield, just around the second turn, where all cautions would be listed by bib number and type of infraction. 3 cautions, and you are up for disqualification - the dreaded red paddle.

Based on my time at an indoor mile race in February, I figured that 18 minutes was a good goal for this race. Erin quick told me that meant 1:12 laps. About half a dozen people in the field of 8 quickly moved out ahead of me at the start. The guy in the green shirt was about 10 yards ahead of me, and keeping a good pace, but it wasn't all that difficult to pull up to his shoulder. He didn't want to be passed, however, so we jostled for position for a couple of laps, and even banged elbows (completely unintentional) a couple of times. Coming out of turn 1 on about lap 3, I took a deep breath, picked up my pace just a scooch, and pulled ahead of him. I didn't look back, and didn't see him again for the rest of the race. In about lap 8 or 9, I got a caution for a bent knee. Your knee has to be locked and your leg perfectly straight from the point of impact until that leg passed vertical. I guess I got a bit sloppy. I could hear Erin yelling as I passed down the last straight, and she told me to relax my arms. Many racewalkers, when the going gets tough, tend to scrunch up their shoulders and swing too high with their arms. Relaxed shoulder and a lower arm swing are much more productive.

I was SO glad there was an official keeping track of laps and telling each of us as we passed the finish line how many laps we had to go - my biggest fear was that there would be no lap counter, and I would lose track of my laps. With one lap to go, I could see the clock was at 16 something, and could hear Erin yelling that I could do it, but I had to pick it up. So I sucked it up and tried to increase my turnover rate. What I also should have done was increase my hip rotation which would have helped my turnover rate, and given me a slightly longer stride. But I didn't think of that at the time. My feet felt like they were starting to slap on impact instead of smoothly rolling over the length of my shoe, so I knew I was getting fatigued. But with so little distance to go, there was no holding back. I'm surprised that I didn't get another caution on that last lap! I crossed the finish line, hit the wrong button on my watch, and had no idea of my time. Great. I cooled down a bit, cheered in the rest of the racers in our heat, congratulated the winners, and waited for the times to be posted. When they finally went up, I saw that I finished in 17:54.22 (9:37 pace). Fantastic! I didn't care that I didn't even come close to winning (Chris Schmidt from Ohio won in  with a blistering 14:20 - 7:41 pace), I was just happy to have beat my goal time.

If you've read this far, thank you for your patience and your interest. I think it's a little weird to be posting racewalking race reports on a running forum, but it is a good way for me to review my race, and to think about what I did and what I should have done.

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Henrun

Jay, congratulations on a great race. Your report was interesting to read. Sorry we couldn''t have been there but we were otherwise engaged in a 5 mile race. We've been following the daily results in the Globe sports section and have seen a lot of familiar names. Really impressed by the 85 to 95 age winners. Hope I can still race when I grow up (to their age groups).
      Tramps

Not weird at all, Jay!  I always enjoy reading your strategy at these events.  Good form seems so important in race-walking; it's a good reminder for all of us.  Congratulations on an excellent race and beating your goal! 

Watch those elbows and bent knees, though.

Be safe. Be kind.

RCG

Rose Colored Glasses

Jay!  That was so cool to read!  Race-walking is too tough for me, I don't know how you do it.  And those paces are faster than I run.

I thought of Apolo Ohno when you told us about "jostling" for position and that guy who did not want to be passed!

Congratulations on a great race and no dreaded red paddle.

"Anytime you see the word "inflation" in the news, replace it with "record-breaking corporate profits" and you'll get what's happening."

Marathon Maniac #957

Jay – I can hardly believe how fast some of these folks can race walk!  They’d blow me out of the water running my fastest!  Congratulations on beating your goal time – great racing!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Nice racing, Coast!  Your report was very exciting to read.  Congrats on beating your goal time.

Nicely done!

Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM
              stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Nice work, Jay.  Checked the results and see that you were competing with folks from all over the country.  Great pace and glad you made your goals.  I have trouble running at 10MM--can't imagine walking that fast.!!

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Nice speedy walking, Jay.  I join those who are amazed at the paces of race walkers.  Congrats on a great race.

TomS

Renee the dog

coastwalker,

Congratulations!  I was thinking of you on Sunday while I was doing my marathon thing -- a racewalker I last saw at the LBI 18 miler in October was there.  We chatted a bit at mi 10 and again at mi 24.   He's pretty speedy, just like you!

I would be disappointed not to read about your racing here!  Please keep doing so!

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!