Masters Running

Sunday, September 27----Bueller? Bueller? are you there? (Read 350 times)

Mariposai

for dg's first ever 20 miler

4 recovery miles for me.

Off to make applesauce.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

lamerunner

HI Sarge, yes, very deep team this year. She is right on the varisty/JV cusp. She beat one of the varsity girls' times yesterday and was about even with #6. 

Girls varsity team won the Elite race too, which was fun for the team.

teresa, congrats to your son in his XC race, 2nd place and PR.  fatozzig, that sounds like one brutal race.  You're tougher than the course and conditions, though.  Walt, good job on your 10 mile trail race.

Nice long runs for mariposai (with great husband support), CNY, WRFB, jlynne, dg (longest ever, way to go debbie), running, Holly, and Sarge.

This morning, it was in the mid 50s with a little wind.  I got in 6 miles in a little over 56 minutes for a 9:21 pace.  It was pretty much a progression run.  After my run, my wife and I went to a big antiques fair.  She collects Luray china, if that means anything to any of you, and found a teapot in real good condition.  She was happy as she didn't have a teapot and thought the price was good.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS 

Slo

Hi all !

I really appreciated the well wishing......Walt, appreciate your asking too!

Well,

Not the race I had hoped for. I was well trained for this race physically. I lost the mental battle.

Quick report:

Quad City Marathon

3:43:00  8:31 avg pace.

My first run in 4 months and it was great!

3 miles did not take a watch and it does not matter on the time its just great to be running again.

Did the trails that I used to run 20 years ago and I still remembered every mile mark. This tree to that bend etc.I even remembered the smells like the pine forest and even the wet sand by the river. It was a wonderful time and I am geeked to start training again.

DG,

I picked the right day to check back in ,a 20 miler? You have come a long way baby since I last checked in. Congrats!

I have a lot of catching up to do but it is great to see all the hard core stand bys still here.

Larry

Chumbawamba: I get knocked down But I get up again You're never going to keep me down

evanflein

Congrats on the run, Larry! First run after a break is pretty sweet.

And yes, Holly, isn't it a good feeling to have that last really long run done? I think I dreaded taper the first couple of times I did it. After that, it was like yeah, bring it on! Good job on holding the pace, and no, I don't know if it's ever really easy.

I got out there for 9.2 chilly miles with what is apparently the closest thing I have for a running partner. He's faster than I am, but we're close enough that we can train together. But as usually happens, we got to talking about stuff and each mile was faster as we went with mile 9 being just about 8:05 pace. Oh well, it was good to get out there, and gives me a pretty good week for the first week post-ultra at 32.1 miles.

Now to go read SLO's RR before I get out there in the mud and dig up what's left of the garden stuff.

Renee the dog

16 miles in 2::37:16.  (first time over 14 mi ever)

Took a beer up for my ice bath. 

Feel good.  Could have done 18.

Could not have done 26.2. Good thing it isn't late November.

hallar, welcome back to running.  3 miles is GREAT! 

teresa -- way cool on your son! 

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

wildchild

Carolyn

Congrats to Deb on your 1st 20 miler, and to Nono on your 1st 16 miler! 

Walt, congrats on your 10 mile trail race. 

Leslie, way to tough out a hard trail marathon. I looked at the elevation chart on the race website, and it looks brutal, even if it wasn't a hot day. Hope it doesn't take you too long to recover.

Larry, congrats on your return to running! And your return to RA!

Erika, sorry to hear you've got more snow. Ours is mostly melted, and it's beautiful today - deep blue sky, yellow aspen leaves, mid 50's.

I'm still fighting something off, but I think I'm winning.  Luckily, I have a strong immune system - I don't think I've been sick at all for 3 years now.  I went out for an easy 5.3 miles with the dogs, and felt OK although very low energy.  I guess that's further than most people run when they feel well, so I did OK.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

miss you guys!!  havent been posting much anywhere this week - in a bit of a funk and not sure why exactly....only ran 2x -- track wed. night which was great and 12 miles yesterday with 7 along the beach at OOB, Maine......need to find my mojo......oh but i did do an intro to yoga and a cardio kickboxing class tuesday night -- that kicked my butt - woke up with a very sore back the next day -- maybe kickboxing isnt the right place for me at the moment

slo - sorry to hear about your grandfather

lamerunner and teresa -- congrats to your kids - they are doing great, my youngest seems to be losing his interest in xcountry - not sure why except that he is having some aches and pains -- maybe he just needs to find his mojo too

henrun - your description of the Charles is great - every time i drive by on my way to work i want to just get out of the car and run!!

posai - cool run yesterday!

dg - congrats on your 20 miler!!

jlynne - congrats on selling the wine glasses -- they look beautiful!!

holly - great last long run

cny - enjoy the taper (if that's possible)

leslie - sounds like a tough race -- but you are tougher for finishing - nice job!

snow???? did i read snow????  hope i don't see any of that stuff for a long time!!

wildchild - i feel the same way --- in fact donated blood friday, then last night was thinking i was getting sick and would need to call the donor center but now actually thinking maybe it was something in the air causing an allergic rxn cuz i feel fine tonight -- weird

denise

dg.

Larry, it's great to have you back!  Sounds like a wonderful run.

Liz & Denise... I was going to ask about both of you today.   Denise, a funk isn't surprising, you've been dealing with a lot. ((()))      

Liz..   sorry your run was brutal!    wonder if.. (and I am NOT the person to listen to here)  if you just keep with the plan & see how it goes.  Of course, maybe you were going to do that anyway.   My 16 was brutal, 18 was better.   Whole recovery week was brutal, this week is better.  Hard to tell sometimes what will happen next.

Yay, Mary's back.  Smile.    thanks for checking in   :-)   And for the S caps!

looking forward to reading Leslie's & Slo's reports.   not tonight though.  omg I am so tired.

Holly, WTG!!   

Nono great 16 miler!!!  I keep thinking the same thing about that bigger number...

WTG everybody else that I'm missing...

Thank you all so much.   You make me smile. 

Ok, it's nothing all that exciting but I was happy with it.   I wore my New Shoes for the first 8 miles.  Karin I love it that you wear these, & esp. seeing your great stride with them in your profile photo.   I unleashed my inner Karin & really enjoyed wearing them. They feel great & I am a little faster in them.  and people smile at me. Wink.   Only thing is, I"m not sure I have time to really get used to them before the marathon.  Feet & shins hurt the last couple of miles, so I changed to Frees.  Will keep trying though.    My pace included almost all water/fuel stops, & a pitstop.  I stopped the clock for shoe changing & 1 or 2 gu wrastling stops.  Average pace was 10:19, max 8:55.  miles (I have to do this, sorry!)  were 10:18, 10:02, 9:46, 9:47, 10:10, 9:53, 10:39, 9:54, 10:17, 11:44, 11:04 (?), 10:13, 10:13, 10:18, 10:10, 10:07, 10:33, 10:28, 10:15, 10:07.   did the last .12 at 9:25, & the 8:55 was at the end.     Overall it went pretty well!  Kept just telling myself I was running (not too hard a stretch) & that I was relaxed & was just going to keep doing it & enjoy the scenery, even though I'd seen it several times already. ;-).    After mile 14 my S/I joint or lower back started hurting a lot, I wonder if wearing a belt changed my posture a little.  Kept playing with that.  It was a problem for a while after I was done but seems to be fine now. 

Please forgive the TMI!   Will try to catch up tomorrow.  Out of steam  Didn't get as much done today as I wanted to, but I did get the grass cut & a few other essentials.  

No running for me this weekend, but wanted to jump in just to say WAY TO GO DEB!! You really nailed that 20-miler at a good pace. That should give you some confidence for your target race.

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

DG is my Hero.  WTG girl!

I got rained out this morning but really wanted to get a few miles in today to help forget about Saturday's tough LR.  Finally at about 6:20 PM (yes, that's PM, not AM - grin) I got out there.  3.5 miles GA with the last mile and a half at MP.  88° and 55%.

Slow easy jog tomorow morning.

Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Wow, Deb, great work!!

spacityrunner

Deb, that was one great run...good for you...you have earned your rest and then some.

Trails Rock!

Greetings from Boone, NC

Way to go dg!!! Unleash that inner Karin whenever you need her 

Rocking run Nono and with some energy left!

Halllar is back and running and SLO knocked another 30 minutes off his marathon time(s)

I can sleep now