Masters Running

Daylight Savings Sunday, 3.12.17 (Read 43 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Yesterday’s sensational workouts:

RunnerKSA (5.4 TM miles with Grey’s Anatomy and away from the sideways blowing snow)

BerthaSlayer (8.5 miles, and then waiting for cursing DH)

Twocat (7+ miles with the Joggers Club on the frozen tundra)

Evanflein (noontime 45 min. pool run, 50 years after learning how to swim)

Catwhoorg (10K in 44:06 for another AG win)

Jlynne (1 hr on the elliptical + 25 min of weights & core)

C-R (12 beat-me-up miles on the trails - longest in 14 months)

Mariposai (4 easy miles with EasyPacer and with a cold)

Mike (15 miles, impressing the kids and pushing it at 7:06 pace)

Wildchild (12.5 miles with friends in a canyon, followed by a beer & cupcakes birthday party)

Good luck to all in the southeast who are dealing with snow and stuff. And thanks so much for sending it up our way in another day or two.

Catwhoorg, you are settin' em up and mowin' em down, aren't you! Congrats on more AG hardware.

Fatozzig, I think I would have been less gracious if I got that kind of family news via social media. And I also would have been confused by 75 degree temps.

Jlynne, please listen to DH and go find out what is really going on with your foot. Happy early birthday to DH and Ben.

Long shift, Deeze! I hope you get some answers from the MRI/anthrogram. Yep - yesterday was a good day for breakfast with friends. So is today.

Enjoy the birthday fleurs, Marj.

How’d you do with the glamorous faucet fix, C-R?

Evanflein, I agree that it must be very hard for an adult to learn to swim. There must be a much greater fear factor than with kids.

Congrats on impressing the kids (and me too), Mike. Nice pacing for a 15-miler.

Nice job in the CG Half, Tammy!

I wanted to do 5 miles at the indoor track yesterday, but a relative newbie came along, so I spent some time working with her instead of doing my own laps along with the rest of the regulars. Her daughter (in her 20’s?) was there too, so I also spent some time telling the daughter what to have her mom work on, and what to look for. I only got about 4 miles done, but I think/hope we helped the newbie make some progress, so it was all good stuff.

I was glad to pick up our scallops yesterday. I wasn’t so glad to be waiting and freezing on line on the open, seaside dock in the cold and wind. Twocat, and C-R - we’ll divide the scallops into dinner-size portions and freeze them, and they’ll likely hold us for 4-5 months or so. This is our only shot at getting fresh scallops this year, so we had to take advantage of it. If I could have, I would have gotten more than 5 lbs.

I was very confused when I woke up this morning: I had changed some clocks before bed, most (but not all) of the automatic clocks had changed themselves, and one clock stopped overnight because of a dead battery. So it took me a few minutes to figure out what the real time was. Then I got dressed and went out for 9.85 RW miles in 6 degree temps (-11 WC). I caught sight of a big, beautiful fool moon, setting through the trees And there were times that I was thinking unkind thoughts about the wind...  DW comes home late this afternoon - hooray!

Have a greta Sunday, whatever time it is!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

King of PhotoShop

From last night's RRCA National Convention Awards Ceremony, here is the Outstanding Club President of the Year, aka Will Run for Beer.  Congrats Lou from your friends at RA!  Ribs

Tramps

Jay--I'm envious.  I love scallops.  Lobster? Meh. Enjoy.

WRFB has a brewery in his basement.  How could he NOT be outstanding club president?!  (Congrats.)

Cat--you must have quite the hardware collection!  Nice job.

Rest day yesterday, 16.6 today.  Gorgeous sunny, upper 20's. They seem decidedly uncertain about snow totals for Tuesday but it looks like it'll be just 3 inches or so.  We'll see.

Be safe. Be kind.

Henrun

Did an indoor bike session and usual stretches. Will go for walk this pm as temp "rises" awaiting Tuesday's expected nor'easter. Trying to alternate hard days and rest days as suggested by my Ortho.

Had a nice visit yesterday with my GD. She insisted on having one of Marj's flowers as we left. She also demonstrated her ballet dance moves from her dance lessons. Wish the temp had been warmer so we could have gone for a walk along the river. But spring will be here soon???

Congrats to Lou and cat on their achievements.

A quick post from the airport. Alas, it seems I will miss the 12 to 18" of snow my town is expecting from the coming nor'easter. Crushed. Just crushed.  It looks like I will miss all the fun. DW and I are off for a brief ski trip to Big Sky Montana. That is where the snow actually belongs. Ironically it will be warmer in Big Sky than in CT.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

C-R

Hey all,

That makes sense Jay. Love fresh scallops. We get those so often here in Indiana but it oddly resembles corn. -11WC! Yikes.

Thanks for sharing Ribs. Nice to see a fellow RA guy get some props.

Good long run Tramps. You getting ready for a race?

Biking has been good for me hen. Hope for you too.

3.1 recovery miles in bright sunshine and surprising chill.

We are not talking about the bathroom faucet. Nope not gonna do it but I will conquer eventually.

Cheers.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
              "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

BerthaSlayer

MM#5991

I finished a strong 20 today. I have been working on a fuelling strategy but it still needs tweaking. Today's experiment involved 2 dates every 4 miles and a 100% maple syrup with water mix. It was too sweet and may be that I need to eat less dates or at different intervals and definitely less maple syrup vs water. Tweak tweak tweak. I can say I did NOT bonk for a change but my tummy didn't like so much sweetness in it during the run.

Lori

*it's Bertha or me. My money is on me.*

**"There is no growth in the comfort zone and no comfort in the growth zone".---- Sandy**

Did 11 miles of the planned 10, so that was a win.  Like C-R, chilly but clear blue sky.   Early miles felt like a struggle, but stopped at the car at 6 miles for a Huma gel and some Diet Pepsi, and that got me through the rest.   38.6 miles for the week.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

Mike E

MM #5615

So...as I have pointed out many times, I am not the smartest person in the world...and anybody who has met me can verify that...so keep that in mind when I ask a question about the below comment.  Also, keep in mind, that my mother was not the greatest cook and neither are Debbie or me, so I really don't know a whole lot about the finer ways of food preparation...or storage.

I was glad to pick up our scallops yesterday. I wasn’t so glad to be waiting and freezing on line on the open, seaside dock in the cold and wind. Twocat, and C-R - we’ll divide the scallops into dinner-size portions and freeze them, and they’ll likely hold us for 4-5 months or so. This is our only shot at getting fresh scallops this year, so we had to take advantage of it. If I could have, I would have gotten more than 5 lbs.

Here is my question--and I am being serious, for a change--it seems that Jay went through a lot of pain to get fresh scallops...which he is going to divide up and eat over the next 4-5 months...in 4 to 5 months, will they still be "fresh"?

Okay--that's my question.  I'm going upstairs, now, to eat my peanut butter and jelly sandwich that Debbie had prepared for lunch...I hope she put enough peanut butter on it, this time.

catwhoorg

Labrat

About 3.5 at recovery pace

5K  20:23  (Vdot 48.7)   9/9/17

10K  44:06  (Vdot 46.3)  3/11/17

HM 1:33:48 (Vdot 48.6) 11/11/17

FM 4:13:43 (Vdot 35.4) 3/4/18

Jlynne

WRFB has a brewery in his basement.  How could he NOT be outstanding club president?!  (Congrats.)

I miss PDR and WRFB. Wish they still posted.

Have fun on your ski trip Twocat.

Do you have any special recipes for preparing those scallops Jay?

Enjoy that peanut butter and jelly sandwich Mike. I think I'd prefer Jay's scallops though!

Is anyone else besides me enjoying the "drink of the day" that Holly has been posting on FB? I'm living vicariously through her this week.

It was colder than all get-out this morning, but I bundled up and grabbed the last 2 packets of hand warmers and headed out at 5:30. Back in the dark again. Almost got a mile in before the heel said "stop" but walked/ran another 3 to get a measly 4 in for the day. Then home for some ab crunches and stuff with the stability ball.

Off to spend the afternoon with the NY Times before the birthday party starts. I decided to not clean. Those kids are just going to mess the place up anyway

evanflein

Jeanne.... 

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello--I'm back.

I did 6 miles, today.  The first 3 were into the wind and stinging precipitation pellets.  I don't think I broke any rules because it was closer to being snow than rain...but they stung.

Okay--that's all I got.  See ya!

3 crummy miles with a lot of walking cause my stupid knee hurt a bit.  I know it will get better the more I get out there as my muscles get stronger, because it often gets better toward the end of my run.  At least it was better than not doing anything.

Mr. BlueEyes and I went to see "Logan" last night.  Err, umm, next time I will pick out the movie to go to!

Tammy, that half marathon sounded really nice!  I remember Roseburg!

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Marathon Maniac #957

Hello from the tropics!  I went to the fitness center this morning thinking I would run a few miles, but the forecast for 90% chance of thunderstorms that were supposed to roll in about noon changed my mind.  I got in 1 mile and a few weights workouts before deciding to shower and hit the  beach while the weather held.  As it turned out, the storms never showed up.  Sounds like Ohio weather forecasts.  Not that I am complaining....

Catwhoorg and Tammy - nice racing!

Back home tomorrow, but it has been a lovely weekend!

Image may contain: 1 person, standing, ocean, sky, sunglasses, cloud, outdoor, nature and water

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."