Masters Running

Monday, July 15 (Read 42 times)

mrrun

Prime Day for Shoppers - just ordered some chargers because I had $10 off

Happy Belated Birthday to Mariposai and Wildchild!

Greetings from a place the birthday twins would love - White Mountains and rented home - 1/4 mile to beach on lake where DD and GD1 & GS frolicked for several hours yesterday.  Tomorrow, Henry's DS and GD will arrive for 2 days

Todays plan is to explore Kancamangus (sp?) with some hikes

Happy trails!

marj

SteveP

Thanks for the start, Mrrun.

Happy Birthday (a day late) to the twins.

I had a happy 5.3 miles this morning. I'm not sure if I'm feeling Prime or not.

SteveP

Happy Birthday, ladies!    Thanks for the start, Marj, and enjoy the White Mountains!  I know you will.

Early run for me (channeling my inner Jay) and off for a flight.  4.2 miles done.  Darkness into light.  A few raindrops but not enough to count.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Enjoy Utica, Karen.  Lived there 40 years ago for a summer job with the state wildlife agency.  went back a few years ago to look where I stayed.  Not only is the apartment house gone, the entire street is, too.   some sort of urban renewal.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Joe618

Early is the word today!  Greetings from my gate in San Diego airport.   That 3:30am alarm was super early.  But beat the rush through security.   I just don't enjoy that process, though I understand why it's there.

I will say how cool I think the development of Uber/Lyft is.  Enabling all that to happen is awesome.  At 4:03 am, I'm standing on the street outside my sister's house and my driver shows up precisely at the moment the app told me he would.  Safe, pleasant drive to the airport.   He laughed when I asked him how long he'd been up.  He'd been taking people home until about 3:30am...was pleased to meet someone just getting!  Implied...he was happy to have a non-drunk person in the car.

Rock your Monday, rock your week folks.

________

I have nothing particularly clever or profound to add as a tag to each message...I just like to run.   

Quickadder

Well the effects of Hurricane Barry eventually affected us. Yesterday started off with intermittent heavy showers, turned into steady rain all afternoon and then torrential downpour for several hours. By midnight, the yard and street were flooded. Overnight the rain moved a few miles further north so everything is drying out here but several creeks (we call them bayous) are well over their banks. Having to work out of our branch office today as road to main office is closed due to flooding.

Started running at age 60.

AG 60-64 PR - 5K 25:45, 10K 53:28, HM 1:57:39, Marathon 4:32:09

AG 65-69 PR - 5K 26:11, HM 2:02:39, Marathon 5:04:47

bioguy

Got in 4 today in relatively pleasant conditions.

Last night was a different story. The x-country coach wanted to have a group run at 6pm. I showed as did the coach, his wife, a couple of this years' grads, and one incoming 9th grader. Very hot and humid. The coach follows Galloway, so it was 90 seconds running and 30 seconds walking. Got in 5 miles, but the heat and humidity was rough.

Tailwinds!

...Happy B'Day to the Dynamic Duo.......

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

...Happy B'Day to the Dynamic Duo.......

Indeed. Happy belated birthday ladies!

Safe travels KSA and Joe.

Enjoy the week with your grandkids Marj! It sounds wonderful.

Hi Steve! Is it hot and humid where you are too?

Stay safe Quickadder!

It was already 71° with a dew point closing in on 70 at 5:30. I stepped outside and thought "nope - not in the mood for this today." I truly don't know how you folks down south deal with H&H all summer. It kicks my butt! I went to the Y and did 45 minutes on the Matrix high stepper to nowhere, 10 minutes on the rower, and 25 minutes of weights and core stuff. Off to pick up the grandboys for the day.

Have a great start to your week folks!

Marathon Maniac #957

Hey folks,

Happy Belated Birthdays, ladies!

Still limping here, so about 50 minutes of weights and core.

I called and made an appointment with the sports med doc, but won't see him until a week from tomorrow.  Maybe the issue will resolve and I will be able to cancel the appointment.  This is really bizarre to me - it happened so suddenly, after a relatively short LR (12 miles), and hit hard, rather than something slowly building up.  No swelling or bruising, but I cannot walk without pain.  Oh well.  This too shall pass.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

anneb

Good morning all. Early Monday (the usual) for me also - running before 5:30, which did not equal beating the heat. 4.6 miles, noticing that the sun's not quite up at 5:30! Which would be a good thing this week. H + H just like Jlynne (76/dp 69) so sweating buckets, and it looks like it's only going to heat up this week with the highs Thursday/Friday approaching 100 (actual temp).

Safe travels, everyone on the move. I hope everyone in the path of Barry is doing ok. Looks like a ton of rain Sad

Anne

BTY

Hello Runners, and Happy Monday to all!

I really felt a pull this morning to get out and run on my lunch break today like in the old days.  I really miss it at times.  I miss the camaraderie of my fellow runners and I miss the break in the middle of the day that I can't get any other way - it really split the day into two small manageable halves, as nothing else does for me.   But I know if I go out there once it'll turn into a few more and I'll be justifying running and the pain in my hip that will come back.   Humbug!

Today at the gym I did my back/rear deltoid/biceps workout along with some stretching, and I upgraded my membership on the way out the door so that i will now be swimming at the gym instead of at the local high school pool.   I *think* it will be less hassle than going out twice in one day and will afford me more time in the evening, since I will be swimming in the morning before work.  I will definitely have to get used to swimming directly after working out with weights, or vice-versa.  Not sure what that will be like.   But the GOOD thing is that now my fitness membership and swimming together will cost me about $40 for the first 6 months of the year and $100 for the second 6 months, instead of only being able to have the fitness membership reimbursed (and not the swimming).    I put my first reimbursement application in the mail on Saturday so it'll be interesting to see how long it takes to get the reimbursement check mailed to me.   It's all new to me.

I think the hardest part will be doing away with my quiet hour routine of preparing breakfast and a french press coffee every morning, since I'll need to be to the gym or pool by around 6:00 AM in order to get in both a swim and a strength workout., whereas I can get there around 7 now.   It'll take me a while to get used to the new routine.  I can work out after a nice breakfast but I will need to swim prior to eating - that whole "wait an hour before swimming" thing is real for me. 

More good news - I won't have any month- to two-month-long periods when I can't swim.  Since I have a meet to prepare for around the first weekend of October and under the old way I wouldn't even be swimming during August or September, this is huge.  It does appear that all of the indoor meets on the calendar for the US Masters in this area are scheduled for about the time I would begin training in the pool - not too conducive to improvement!   Now I'll be year-round and will have to remember to schedule some downtime as I did for running.

Only bit of bad news for the day - I interviewed in early June for a new job - a promotion to the next level above my current position - and I found out on Friday afternoon that I didn't get it.  So I am bummed that I didn't get the promotion, sure, but doubly bummed that I will have a new supervisor (that isn't me).  I would have really enjoyed me as a supervisor of this unit, and I think the others would have, too.   But now we may never know. 

I've been in this unit for going on 11 years now, so maybe it's time to take that updated resume and shop it around the agency.   Something to think and pray about anyway.

Have a greta day, Runners!

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

I would have really enjoyed me as a supervisor of this unit, and I think the others would have, too.   But now we may never know. 

I've been in this unit for going on 11 years now, so maybe it's time to take that updated resume and shop it around the agency.   Something to think and pray about anyway.

Have a greta day, Runners!

Wouldn't we all, BTY

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Busy group for before noon on a Monday!!

18.2 miles on my road/tri bike, morning chat with campground friends, then 6.2 mile run. Still a little ache on that lower left leg for me but not feeling the need for a running break for it (yet)

Now I need a quick shower, laundry and get to the beach for a few afternoon hours!!

Holly sorry you are still limping and hope it resolves soon!!

BTY - sorry you didn't get the job and double sorry you will have a new supervisor 😩

denise

spacityrunner

Whenever I didn't get the job I was going for I always told myself it was because something better was about to come along.  It usually did, and the last something better was retirement 

2 mist filled very humid walking miles this morning.  Barry is dumping on us but not too bad yet.  I think he stayed pretty much to the east of me.

Happy Monday everyone!!

Trails Rock!