Masters Running

The benefits of pre-breakfast workouts (Read 215 times)

coastwalker

This is from the NY Times about a study comparing those who worked out before breakfast to those who worked out after.

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

...How Cool....

......I have told

people this for years,

but rarely had data to back it up

thanks jay

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

BlazinCajun

I try to do most of my workouts before breakfast - just not the speed workouts where I need the energy to hit all the paces consistently. This Christmas season I haven't been able to do that but will be getting back into that rountine tomorrow. Thanks for the eye opener article and the reminder to get back on traaackk!

Andrew
        ------------------
        God, my Lord, is my strength;
        he makes my feet swift as those of hinds
        and enables me to go upon the heights.
        Hb 3:19

Tramps

Interesting piece, thanks Jay. 

I'd be curious to see the difference of eating/not eating before exercise under more normal circumstances (e.g. without the sudden increase in fat and calories).  Also interesting that there's no mention of the argument I've often heard for early exercise: increased metabolism for much of the remainder of  the day.  Not sure if that's true, but it's something that gets repeated.

Be safe. Be kind.

Marathon Maniac #957

Good article.  Since the foremost reason I run is for health benefits, the performance aspect is fun but secondary.  This seems to be a good argument, though, for training on an empty stomach, but having a small breakfast before racing, which has always been my practice.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."