Masters Running

40s 50s 60s+ On the Run - w/e 05/22 (Read 551 times)

flatland mountaineer

KAAAY I feel a little better bout the speed thing now. Muddy mess here so went to town on our little HS track. We have incredible facilities for about 80 kids course my property taxes paid for a nice chunk of it but I digress. Anyway I did a mile warmup on a gravel road on the edge of town then switched into my Elixars (perf Trainers) and did 10 400m @ sub 5k pr with 200 meter jog recoveries. The first one I did sub 7 oops, that couldn't last, rest were 10-15 sec under my 5k pr pace so ok with that then did a slow mile cooldown. I'm still slow but feel better now, kinda felt like a runner to pull off a track workout like that. Now slowly back off until the Memorial Day BB race.

Kinda an interesting "Greatest Generation" story. My dad graduated HS at 16 and laid out and picked corn in the winter by hand and worked 2 years then hitchhiked to Lincoln to go to school at the Univ of NE. He found a place to stay with a widowed farm wife on the edge of town that took in roomers. She had 2 boys of her own in school also. Dad became fast friends with both, especially John the oldest and his age. They had a network of kids that were all friends and how my dad met my mom. Anyway John shipped out to WWII the first, and my mom and dad decided to get married before dad shipped out. John's brother Ed was my dad's best man. Ed had a little trouble staying upright during the ceremony cause of the batchelor party the night before. Later Ed shipped out and was captured and escaped during the "Battle of the Bulge" in Europe. John flew the "Hump" in Asia and my dad was an Artillery Captn in the Northern Italy. They have all pretty much kept in touch.

Anyway Lynda brought me a card to read from Dad's 90'th card shower. She said it will make you cry. It did. It was from Ed, he described waiting to pick up my dad after him and mom's first date, also said John and his wife not doing so well.........Anyway Ed after the war went on to found the Leaning Tree card company with the mostly western themed cards and headquartered in Boulder CO.

This year at the Bolder Boulder memorial Day service they have picked 2 living  veterans to honor . Ed is one. In his card he said he tryed to beg off, he wasn't no hero, all the heros died on the beaches of Normandy and battlefileds across Europe, Asia/Pacific and Africa. Me, I think they got the right guy...............

The whole world said I shoulda used red but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green!!

Support Ethanol, drink the best, burn the rest.

Run for fun? What the hell kind of recreation is that?  quote from Back to the Fut III

Queen of 3rd Place

Joe - just your little synopsis made me all teary-eyed. Good going on your track workout. Seems like your body has been pretty much cooperating, seems like a long time since you've had any achilles problems or anything.

Cindy - nice workout schedule there, I would bet that it's perfect for Mairead, too.

Kinda quiet around here, you can tell when Leslie's gone!

Legs still a tiny bit tired from 18 on Thursday, I think another super-easy 5 is in order for today. Feeling a little lazy, anyway.

Arla

Ex runner

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Arla--I don't think you're allowed to use lazy in the same paragraph as "18 Miles". 

Jim--neat story and nice to get a personal perspective on that era.  I feel like I sort of missed out on learning about it, as my dad never made it overseas and a couple of uncles that did, I was too ignorant to ask.  Now it's a little late.

Pump class this morning, managing a little more weight, but boy do the muscles quiver when I'm done.  Tomorrow is supposed to be 7-8 miles, so I'll try to get out early before it gets too hot. 

DD snuck out of school to see her dance friends' last recital. (and see us, since she most likely won't be back until Christmas, but we were a little further down the list )  Somehow in this era of instantaneous communications, she managed to keep it a secret.  Guess she surprised them, just a LITTLE bit when she showed up at the recital last night.

Hi to all--hope Les is enjoying the wonders of Sacremento.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Top 'O the World!

Kinda quiet around here, you can tell when Leslie's gone!

Very kewl story, Jim!!  Beyond words!

I think I've found the "easiest" workout in the P90X set...KenpoX   Yay! Got all kinds of sweaty during the 58 mins but, feel really good! + 3 varied speed, windy trail miles w/Mairead....gonna be WINDY & hot (30mph steady + 50+mph gusts & 88*) here today.....I'm pretty sure it was light jacket (snow???)  weather just a coupla days ago....

Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group

jfa

Jim- that's really cool that Ed is getting the gratitude he so greatly deserves.Those guys don't want it though.

Nice workout on the track. We'll disregard the fact that Arla called you me ,cause earlier in this thread , Leslie called me you. So, we're even.

Looks like some fine workouts for Arla, Kevin, and Cindy.

Ran 3 , 3 milers today. Woke up early and drove all of 5 miles to the Bayhead 5k. IRC at 62 and cloudy, right along the beach. Won't complain but can't brag about my time. At 23:43 it's 9 sec faster than my last one. Started strong with 7:29 on the first one, lagged to 7:42 for 2k, then found a little gas for 7:36 on the last. Came around the last turn and managed 7:16 for the final .13.

Then home for 2 hrs of push mowing , then it's Buddy time. Another 3 at the reservoir, then 3 on the trails on the way home. I split it up that way to keep Buddy motivated,and swimming at a lot of spots.

flatland mountaineer

Body seemed to tolerate yesterdays workout for the most part. Back was really sore but came around during the day. That one I caused 2wks ago picking up a utility trailer tongue. Soooo other than being kinda tired I feel pretty good. Achilles has come around, I can always feel it, but rotate my shoes around. I run mostly in neutral or just a touch of stability these days. Hip always feels it when I bump mileage or do heavy speedwork but usually stretch the right glute will bring it around. I think I have one leg longer whether due to pelvic alignment or just the way I am as it is always the right one that flares first.

Joe nice 5k or rather 5k times three. I bet Buddy liked the lake one the best. We got Lulu a kiddy pool and she does laps thru it dipping her nose underwater everytime she goes thru. Nice time on the 5k BTW.

Kevin glad you are healing well. You are coming along very fast. Good Job!

Yes Arla a 5er after 18 is NOT lazy. Guesing your folks are 'bout my folks age. Bet you will be glad to wrap it up at school. Bay to Breakers sounds alot like BB from the elite to very serious citizen waves to the beer drinker and bacon eating waves. It's a race I think our whole group could enjoy, especially with all that is available within an hour of Boulder, amazing summits, cool trails, city lights or country vistas.

Cindy yes exact same weather here 40+ gust and 91 deg. 2 days ago was wearing winter stuff.  Friggin' wind!!!

I gotta get over mega acres with the sprayer so we can go to BB!!

Carol hope you are doing well and getting in a few Katy runs.

Ev I tell ya thats an excellant taper ya got goin' on for BB. 'Spose you are getting this goofy spastic mtn/plains weather now also.

Jewels, almost there with school and a huge acomplishment with working, parenting etc. and getting some runs and races in also.

Hiya to the rest of the crew!

Leslie hope u are enjoying your conference and whew glad u manged to find a decent trail to run!! and no dreadmill WooHoo!  We had a nice time running in Palm Springs @ conference even tho I dummied up and crashed. Still fighting 3 fingers that won't work right but slowly getting better.

A pic of Dad's friend.http://www.leanintree.com/aboutus.html. Yes, I could spend hours listening to that group. I can't imagine coming of age in the late 30's early forties, surviving the depression and then facing the dark times ahead during WWII. Funny how dad knew John's wife before he met mom, John's wife worked with mom's cousin and on and on. Anyway after the Army Ed founded Leanin' Tree. John stayed in the Army Airforce later the Airforce as an advisor. John was in Saigon when it fell. After John retired from the AF he was CEO for Leanin'Tree for awhile. Dad after a ruff time overseas in the war, worked as a bacteriologist/troubleshooter for a dairy products company before coming home to the farm. What lives they have all lived..........

Enjoy the wknd!!

FJim

The whole world said I shoulda used red but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green!!

Support Ethanol, drink the best, burn the rest.

Run for fun? What the hell kind of recreation is that?  quote from Back to the Fut III

Ev I tell ya thats an excellant taper ya got goin' on for BB. 'Spose you are getting this goofy spastic mtn/plains weather now also.

I've been beatin' myself up the past few days due to me slacking off.  I've missed a couple runs where there was really no excuse.  I thought I had pretty much got under the radar, though.  Thanks for pointing it out!    Is BB this coming weekend?  (Memorial Day weekend).  I've got a half M planned in OKC May 30. 

The weather has been stormy and wet.  Plenty of tornandic storms most of which left little damage, save the ones on May 10.....   Big big hail  heck all around....golfball/baseball/softball size.  I wonder how the meteorologist measured hail before sports were invented?  Where I live, we've missed most of the damaging effects of the storms.  Got some good rain.  Temps have been a bit cool, but now it's starting to warm up.....

Jim, hope the back, achilles, hip continues to improve.  And you're still having problems with your fingers from that nasty fall?  You must have really boogered them up. 

Good luck to all the racers up and coming.  And a huge "Hey" to evryone!

Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM