Masters Running

Boston Boomer Brunch cancelled? (Read 796 times)

Henrun

Hi all, For the last two years, we have hosted the Boston Boomer Brunch. Everything's changed because of the women's race. We'll be meeting other boomers to watch this race. Therefore, we're in a quandry. Our thought is to use our condo as a gathering place afterwards, if there's any interest. No gourmet spread, just coffee, juice and coffee cake (maybe) and anything others wish to bring. Let us know what your thoughts are. Henrun and Marj
      H&M! While I only participated in one of the 2 brunches, it was great fun. It would be wonderful to meet up after the Trials, but rather than invading your home, perhaps we could just repair to moderately priced eating/watering hole nearby? Thanks for getting us thinking about htis. A
      Masters 2000 miles

#artbydmcbride

Any meeting for watching the trials, or drinking coffe afterwards sounds great to me. Smile

Runners run

btb1490

Thank you Henry and Marj! The two of you certainly have be very gracious to offer your place for a gathering the past couple of years, and as much as you say it won't be much this year, it's still a lot of work for you guys. You sure you want to do this? Amy's suggestion is a good one, perhaps you know of a suitable spot? In the Boston Marathon Group forum, I started a thread about a gathering for the trials. The place I'm staying at is right on the course. I offered it as a gathering place for before the race and was gonna have some bagels and coffee for everyone, but nobody replied. I guess being the new guy around here, people think I have the cooties. The offer is still good if anyone wants.
            Henrun---(and Marj) I think it's so wonderful and generous that you've hosted such a gathering in the past. You are more than kind to even think about how to do it again amidst the ramped up attention of the Olympic Trials. I'll be happy to help in any way I can with whatever the group decides is best. A place near the Boylston/Back Bay area may be the best bet and I'll be happy to chip in. I signed up to volunteer at the Expo on Saturday or Sunday afternoon and intend to come in to watch the Trials no matter what (won't know my assignment until late March). A get together after the Trials then is my vote. BTB! You don't have cooties----oh my goodness, I laughed out loud! My son hates it when I use that word-----I get a serious eye roll (my ongoing mother---son torture program). I just didn't get around to posting a reply on the Boston forum about a get together, but your idea is great as well. I am looking forward to meeting folks -----no need for a gourmet spread----I quit reading after I saw coffee in there anyway!
              I just posted this on the Boston Forum---just so we're all on the same virtual page: sayhey btb, Great idea. I'm not up for a run before the trials, because you are too fast! Any slower folks out there? Otherwise, it sounds like a plan to meet to watch them, either at your place or a designated spot on the course. If we pick a spot on the course, the early birds amongst us can get there and hold a good spot. We can wander down Mass. Ave. or up Newbury afterwards. There are a ton of places to eat around there--it is close to the Berkeley School Music, so there are student places with pizza, sub, coffee shops, etc (and a good Indian restaurant) on Mass Ave, then some lovely cafes on Newbury, many with outdoor seating if weather permits. And Emack & Bolio's just off Mass. Ave on Newbury. THis is an Ice Cream shop with magnificent product. It opened in Coolidge Corner in the 70's when I was in grad school and lived around the corner. One of my recurrent dreams of that era was getting locked inside with a long-handled silver spoon Blush....so I could taste each and every flavor. It is so good. grins, A
              Masters 2000 miles
                Aamos! A harmonic convergence indeed! Sorry...Berklee College of Music is a client and I couldn't resist. Big grin Indeed there are a whole bunch of places right there where we could all meet. The president of Berklee, Roger Brown, is a runner and a few members of the staff unit I work with are running on 4/21....I would be willing to find a place in their main building right off of Boylston even or at their suggestion. I really wanted to post becaus I ran past Emack & Bolio's yesterday on my way to the hockey rink in Orleans, MA. Oh my goodness, how I wished it was open. Love that stuff! Didn't you say you used to live in Western, MA? I live in Northampton....perhaps we ran near one another and just never knew it. So hoping to meet you and everyone else! CNYrunner
                  We'll meet anytime, anywhere Smile

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

Head Procrastinator

I'll be wherever Lou and his keg are going Big grin I am disappointed that the brunch won't happen, it was so nice of you and Marge to host it and I think it was so easy doing a morning thing day before the race. But I can certainly understand the conflict. I like BTB's suggestion of watching where he is....and then a meetup after would be grand. What is the timing on the women's race? I'm thinking it will be time for some lunch after.......maybe pick a spot where folks can order what they like as in brunch, lunch and or cocktails.
                    ~ My Profile~ The avatar is happy BOC wootcats

Marathon Maniac #957

I didn't even realize there WAS a Boston Marathon Forum.... Shocked

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Henrun

the women's race is at 8 am, so most runners will finish by 10:45, 11 at the latest. most pubs aren't open before noon and everyone's going to be in the same place, which will make it hard for a crowd. I vote for a gathering at BTB's place. He graciously organized a wonderful Tampa gathering and I know he'll to the same here. I'll supply some banana bread+, and perhaps some other locals can bring food also. Marj

Maniac 505

I have no dog in this race, I won't be in Boston this year, but reading this thread, I just wanted to throw out a couple of observations, and kudos Aamos looking for slower runners is ludicrous! Marathonguide.com consistently names her the top lady marathon runner in the country! Henrun and Marge, I was fortunate enough to stop in for your gathering the last two years. That was so gracious of you, but I can't imagine the work you put into it, both before and after the event BTB. I know you don't have cooties. you are a valuable member of this group. I hope you know what you are getting into opening up your place. I'm, looking forward to reading all the boston missives this year
                          Dove

The Dovenator

All of the ideas mentioned sound good. The most important thing to me is having a chance to socialize a little. I need to remember, though, that I am there to run a marathon, so cocktails are out (at least until Monday afternoon). -Dove

"it's just like having fun, but different"

CNY--I used to live in Worthington and then Florence. What do you do for Berklee? A place there would be swell! Dove--we had a CRing reunion at the Omaha Marathon in 06--Spareribs and I had a drinking contest Surprised the night before, so we had a few, and of the group, I do believe we finished one and two (since I'm a lady, I won't say who won the contest and who finished 1st and who finished 2nd). Hey, notice now that we take up btb's offer, he's nowhere to be found?? O yooHoo!!! Cootieboy! Evil grin grins, A
                              Masters 2000 miles

King of PhotoShop

CNY--I used to live in Worthington and then Florence. What do you do for Berklee? A place there would be swell! Dove--we had a CRing reunion at the Omaha Marathon in 06--Spareribs and I had a drinking contest Surprised the night before, so we had a few, and of the group, I do believe we finished one and two (since I'm a lady, I won't say who won the contest and who finished 1st and who finished 2nd). Hey, notice now that we take up btb's offer, he's nowhere to be found?? O yooHoo!!! Cootieboy! Evil grin grins, A
                                Thanks for the heads-up that you posted about this "drinking contest." Now I get to tell the story. I was drinking draft beer and I think Aamos had wine. We probably had two drinks each if I remember correctly, although we had done a lot of bragging beforehand about who could outdrink who. Aamos, if you had more than two glasses of wine, I would be very surprised. Truth is, we all had so much fun talking that nobody really thought about drinking at all. It was a great group. Next day, the race itself was a tough one. It was much hillier than I had expected, and very humid. I was shooting for any time under 3:30 and had set my hopes on an unrealistic 3:25 or so. I went out for the first half and was running comfortably around 7:45's I think. Part of it with Dave Selby, who I caught just before the half. Aamos was running pretty steady 8's. I caught up to her, ran with her for several miles, then decided she was running too slow for me. Hah! Did I ever get my comeuppins! Where was it you passed me Aamos? Was it about 19 miles? I never saw her again. I won the 55-59 Men's with a pretty poor time. TomD was second, right behind me. And Aamos won the women's race I think sub 3:30. Do I have this right Amy? Correct any of it if I don't. You have been beating my brains out for years. Spareribs