Masters Running

Lilac 5K (Read 197 times)

It was a brisk 40 degree morning in Rochester, NY. The forecast was also calling for 20-30 mph winds, which fortunatley never materialized. This was the race that my 5th grade 5K group had been training for. We have spent the past 10 weeks building up to 5K distance, learning about nutrition, footwear, how to pace yourself, fitness principles, Q&A with an elite runner, etc. We started with 24 (up from 8 in the fall) and 18 made it to the starting line today. The fall 5K also saw 2 teachers and my DW running with the kids, today we had a group of 15 to pace, encourage, console our racers. The race we ran in the fall was the first time I had tried this, so we picked a very small 5K with only 125 finishers. Today there were 800 in this race. The fall race also saw me running/walking at the back of the pack with the students who were there. Today, with more help, and willing volunteers to run at the back, I ran with a student who has shown some real promise in training. In a moment I will introduce you to my friend Shane, but first, a fashion report break, Fashion Report We spent the last two education sessions of our 5K training making club t-shirts with some donated tech shirts and some fabric markers. Pictures to appear later. I was dressed in my gray Crane 5K Club T, Black Nike shorts with green trim, gray Nike hat, and white, black, and lime green Asics Gel Frantic 3's (ladies feel free to swoon here). The gun goes off and the pack begins to move. For the size of the field, the early going was much roomier and more comfortable than I was expecting. Shane, a fifth grader who has been a very good student for me set the early pace. I told him that I was going to match his pace, and to let me know if he wanted a quicker pace or needed to slow down. Four of his classmates took off, ignoring the work we had done on pacing, but kids (and adults) in their first race, it is easy enough to do and a good learning experience. Shane, on the other hand, didn't take the bait. He ran steady and he looked to be running very much within himself. After about 1/2 mile he had steadily moved up and passed all of his friends who went out too quickly. We approached the 1 mile mark and as we passed, our split time was called out 8:10. I smiled at the pace. We had talked about running the second half faster than the first, but didn't know if Shane could pull it off. The first half of this race is mostly downhill, with the halfway point being the lowest point in elevation. The second half is almost all uphill, and most of it into the wind. Shane didn't break stride, so on we went. Close to the 2 mile mark we approached the water stop. I resisted looking at my watch and wanted to see how everything played out. Shane said he would get water. We had spent a couple of training sessions working on that, trying out drinking on the run, being predictable so as not to go down. I thought Shane might stop when he got his water, but he took a couple of sips and tossed the cup aside like a pro. Shane still looked strong, and appeared to be holding his pace pretty well. We hit the last downhill section of the course, and he picked up his pace. The stretch up to the finish goes through Highland Park. The finishing stretch is uphill, not too steep, but enough to let you know it's there at the end of the race. Shane put his hands on his head trying to keep his breathing under control. I told him when we went around the next turn he could see the finish line. From here I sat back and watched him go. When he saw the finish line, he had enough left to kick it to the finish, I watched him cross the line in 24:50, 8:00/mile pace. I got a big smile on my face as I crossed in 24:58. He gave me a high five and then a hug after I crossed the line. Race results aren't posted yet, but I will share them when they come in. Overall all 18 that started finished. Everyone who ran in the fall improved their time in this race. We had 6 students break 30 minutes for the race. All of the kids and adults from our group finished with big smiles on their faces. I improved on my time from the fall as well, but only by about 22:00. It has been as positive an experience for the teachers as it has been for the kids. The whole experience has inspired me to keep doing, and hopefully expanding this program district wide next year. Stats: top boy 11th AG @24:50 top girl 6th AG @ 28:06 Me: 10 out of 43 in AG, 143 out of 864 overall. Thanks for reading.
    Mariposai

This is what is all about folks. MY utmost admiration Cranium, please know you have made a HUGE impact for wellness in your community.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

huskydon

Craneium, This is so great what you do! I don't know who is happier, the student or the teacher.. Congratulations to all the runners, hopefully they will continue and be able to exercise their full potential. And thanks again for your work with your running group. They have learned what hard work and discipline and planning can do, and hopefully develop some additional confidence that they can accomplish what they set out to do. Thanks for sharing!!
          that is a really cool race report -- what an awesome feeling of accomplishment for all!!

denise

Teresadfp

One day at a time

How cool! My daughter is in 5th grade and I wish she had a class like that! She likes to run, but some instruction from someone other than Mom would be so helpful. I will look forward to seeing the photos!
              What a coach and teacher! Great work! Lucky kids. Thanks for the heart warming story, and congratulations to you and the kids. Woods Lady
              SteveP

The kewlest thing a person can do is make a positive difference in a kid's life. The race sounds like a riot.

SteveP

Awesome!
                  Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM
                    I've been waiting for this report, Craneium and a great report it was. You have done a fantastic job of training and encouraging these kids to do so well. My congratulations to all 18 kids and the adults on their accomplishment. I'm anxious to see the pictures. Keep up the good work, Craneium. TomS
                    coastwalker

Hi Cranium, This is just awesome! You're inspiring kids and adults to be healthier and more fit, and are giving them confidence in their ability to set a goal and meet (or beat) it. I love the fact that you've taken this on, and it is already growing, and apparently will continue to grow. I hope you are pleased and proud of what you have already accomplished through this program! Congratulations to Shane for taking in what you have been teaching him and applying it masterfully: 24:50 and negative splits for a 5th grader in his first 5K is huge! Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Slo

Craneium Great race......Great report. These kids will remember you thier whole life.......that's cool. And the sense of accomplishment and confidence these kids must get is unthinkable !
                        stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Craneium--sounds like a great bunch of dedicated kids and a very dedicated teacher. Also sounds like everyone had a great time to reinforce the thought that effort = results. Was this race at Highland Park? I'm assuming it was part of the Lilac Festival. although I thought the festival was normally on or around Mother's Day.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Tramps

Very cool! You're doing a great thing. Be sure to pass on our congratulations to all your kids!

Be safe. Be kind.

Way to go Shane! Way to go Craneium! You are leading a super trend and teaching the kids so much. I imagine you are rewarded in ways that you didn't realize possible as well. This is a great report and these kids and their families are lucky to have you as their coach, teacher, friend, and guide. I can see this going district-wide for sure. Congratulations and keep the reports (and photos...ahem!) coming.

King of PhotoShop

You are a heck of a coach and a kind man. I can just feel the pride you have in these kids. Think of what you have done for them and their families, their health, feeling of self-worth and accomplishment. You may have discovered the next Olympian too. You never know. Great reading this. Nice job. Spareribs