Masters Running

Sunday the 8th runs (Read 347 times)

"older but not dead yet"

A really hard as in slow 11.2 miler due to a 2nd day severe D.O.M.S. from a gym workout last Fri. Alex
    Seeking the interface between the cerebral and the visceral.
      8.2 miles that currently can qualify as a long run since I haven't gone past 7 for about 10 weeks. Some nice 20 milers by Mari & Holly this weekend, way to go ladies Smile Alex maybe you should take a day off after a hard gym workout, you aren't 35 anymore Roll eyes

Courage ! Do one brave thing today...then run like hell.

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Quick update on DS16's conference meet yesterday. He was on the wining 4x800 relay team, and also won the mile- and two-mile races! He was in the lead the entire time for the mile, and purposely stayed in third place for awhile in the two-mile before moving up. He didn't set any PRS because the competition didn't push him. The state meet is a week from tomorrow, and the boys will be running harder then. DH is still doing great, and I'm planning on getting my butt in gear tomorrow to run a lot.
          Great news all around Teresa! Good runs here today---4.2 happy miles over potholes and around puddles for me. All good and no twinges. Hockey morning for the kiddo (8 weeks left to his season). I was so proud of him----he could have scored many times and instead set up a teammate who hasn't scored much. Once the kiddo's team was clearly headed to victory, he also told his teammates to pass and hold the puck. The other team was trash talking and playing dirty in defeat, but the kiddo and his mates remained calm. Sometimes 12 yr. olds can be mature. Off to granny's now for our afternoon chillax time

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

Nice runs! Lookin good Tim! Nice 20 Holly.. way to find that extra gear for the MP miles! Sweet. Wonderful 20 miles of hills, nice and slow on dead legs 3:07:51 (9:24 pace, AHR 142). I could still feel Friday's 13 mile MP run. Must be spring .... it was 36° at the start and 70° at the finish (8 - 11 am).

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

Tramps

Nice running out there. Holly’s and Perch’s 20-milers especially caught my eye; nice job! Definitely Spring here. Extraordinary temps probably hitting low-70s today. It was great yesterday to open up all the windows and air out the house. My sympathies for those of you still in the deep-freeze. 10 miles today to wrap up a cutback week. 4 of those were a local race I finished in 27:49 (6:57). I had been looking for a sub-28:00 so I was happy with this (a PR, though only my second 4-miler). It’s an interesting course partially on a road, partially on park paths with good steep up and downs; nothing too big but enough to make it challenging. I passed people on just about every hill, which was fun. I guess all those hills pay off eventually. Nice even pacing with all miles within a ten-second span but I was pretty spent at the end; not much left in the tank. Have a good one.

Be safe. Be kind.

King of PhotoShop

Tramps, I bet you can take a few "mental seconds" off your time in the race given the hilly course and running on soft surfaces. Well done, nice pace. Mariposai, what a great run for you yesterday. Great idea to embed some MP miles within your LR. You come up with the coolest workouts! 10 for the Saint and me at the lake. We both agreed at about 5 miles we had no energy, so just ran to finish. But it was my 2nd 10-miler and I am pleased with progress to date. Spareribs
                  18 miles at 10:29 pace to finish off a 50-mile week. Looking back on my log, this is only my 7th 50 mile (or higher) week since I started keeping records in April of 2004. And four of those were in 2006 which wasn't a great year for me injury-wise. Whatever that means... It's 60° here and sunny. A very nice break from winter.

aka Mrs. WillRunForBeer, MD, USA

Marathoning, the triumph of desire over reason

I was thinking during my run that 57°F is cool for Bill but quite warm for me. I have some acclimitizating (or whatever the right word is) to do before Boston, I think. Very nice runs out there -- some 20's, some nice races, and some just fast! I planned 2 wu, 12@MP, 2 cd, but after 10@MP (7:56/mi, AHR 158 (79% mhr)) had had enough. I was just done. Overall: 16.2 miles, 2:13:44, 8:16/mi, AHR 154 (77% mhr)

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

TRAMPS!! Excellent race! This is good...very good!

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

Marathon Maniac #957

Lots of great runs out there today, and some nice springlike conditions for many. Tramps – congratulations on your PR race today! PDR – nice cap to a 50-mile week. I can hardly wait for 60 degrees here, but, like WRFB says, that will seem VERY warm at first. DH has a contraption to ice his knee that is basically a cooling pad wrapped around his knee that is hooked to a cooler filled with ice water by a tube, which circulates the ice water through the pad, keeping his knee iced. It’s very kewl. When the nurse was showing it to us after the surgery, I said, “Do we get to keep it?” If I ever hurt my knee, I’m stocked. Smile

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Great race Tramps! Nice 20 miles Perch and Holly, I somehow am missing those really long Sundays thats a good thing I guess. Nice 11 Mary the conditions for us today were nice but a lot of hidden ice in shady spots. Tim, I think its getting to be official, you are on the way back. Congrats! 10@10 for me today not as impressive as Linden but a good building block run for me. Have a great Sunday everyone Larry

Chumbawamba: I get knocked down But I get up again You're never going to keep me down

spacityrunner

Nothing extraordinary (except to me) 6.3 in 1:14. A wonderfully warm run in 66F (thanks to a 17mph wind I did not bake) from the capitol to the lincoln. As expected there were lots of folks enjoying the national mall. Looked like a festival had sprung...absent porta potties of course. Nice runs and races to all...especially to you Tramps! Oh Holly, I would love to have one of those icing contraptions.... Mr. Ribs I am humbled by your comeback.... Good runs and good day

Trails Rock!

Marathon Maniac #3309

Larry, untill now, I kept waiting for my pain to come back...it's not.You my fren said it like it is....I am back. Very good run for you too, really! WTG Holly...you my dear Fren, inspire me to run (glad I had you to talk to about my "non" dates) Mary, even though you are a slacker, lol. GF, nice run today...you too motivate me to run. Steve, with joy I want to say....greta job to you, and you have helped me MORE than ya know...waaaaay more than you know, thanks. You should write a book about running...it would be a "best seller" Injuried, stay the course and be patient...can't believe I can say that, really. Karin, sooo very glad you are back running...and here at RA. You are also a sweet person that has helped me more than you know...thank you with all my heart. TimBo

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

Only did 7 today, plan was for 16 but mentally was just not up for it. And my stomach started to hurt. Ok, I am just lazy, that is the long and short of it. I had a pint of beer last night. It was greta, but I definitely had more palpitations afterward at bedtime as a result so I don't know how often I will be doing that. Holly, impressive run. I'm thinking long-term too, like maybe a fall marathon. I'm just not getting the mileage in right now to prepare adequately for a spring mary.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."