Beautiful day here.

Just in from a 17 miler. Nice and easy.

My goals were:

16 miles non-stop......Check

2hrs 30mins total......Check

All Easy.....Check

Finish with a bottle of the coldest chocolate milk in town......Check 

And be home in time to make 8:00 Mass....Check 

This was a very successful back off week.......I also learned that I don't need much recovery prior to a short distance race......that's two races in a row now that I've set PR's on.

Take care this week.......We're off on vacation.....No TV, No Cell, No Internet.

spacityrunner

Thanks for getting us started Slo, but man your a hard act to follow   enjoy your tech free vacation...but that makes me wonder...what did we used to take vacations from...I mean, before tv, cell phones, and the internet

Short 3 mile recovery run this a.m. in 74F w/94% humidity...it was hard...just those few little miles.. good thing I was running slow, slow, slow 12:30ish m/m

Rewarded myself with 2 chocy milks this morning...

Mr. Ribs, i would cancel a meeting with the Secreatry to have dinner with you....(not that I would ever have a meeting with the Secretary )

Erika, your blueberries look delish...

Good runs and good day everyone

Trails Rock!

Renee the dog

SLO, have a great vacation!!!

I was out for 10 miles this morning in 70-73ºF and 100% H. Yep, we hit 100%!  Yahoo!  We're Number 1! (or something like that LOL).  First two were with Renee and then the next 8 were by myself.  Felt good the whole way.  Decided that today I'd start "testing" fuel for my first marathon.  I'm not one for doing much fueling on training runs, and it felt decacent to do so on a 10 miler.  Anyway, took a coconut water with me, and stopped at a Wawa store at my turnaround point and got a soft pretzel. 

Best part was the looks I was getting as I was running along, slowly munching on a big ol' soft pretzel.  I really thought the "crowd" reaction was funny, so it got me thinking of all the other things I could run along and do to give people pause.  I entertained myself with those thoughts the entire way back home.

The pretzel sat VERY well with me.  I've added it to my "potential racing fuels" list. With a big old star next to it.

Have a great day everyone!

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

Happy vacation SLO_HAND

Nice running Nono and runningindc

18 miles for me on a quiet Sunday morning. The boys are just now stirring and I've been out running, showered and on to coffee and thoughts of blueberries....amazing photo Erika. Sorry about all the smoke though. I hope you can get an outdoor run soon. I ran with Iron J at 6:30 am and we both felt good and chatted away through the miles at 8:48 pace. 

Great racing yesterday Teresa for you and your son.

Enjoy the day all

It's just like Karin to call 18 miles nothing more than a "quiet Sunday morning" .

I ran my planned route today and did very well at it, even though I was a bit queasy the first mile for some reason. This route starts with a couple miles of my usual path and park road; then a mile or so of two-track trail through the woods; next about 4 miles of very rolling dirt roads (good for hillwork); and finally back into the park to finish with a few slightly less rolling miles on the bikepath for a total of 9.3 miles.

A good workout, and even though I kept telling myself "take it easy", I finished with a 9:14 pace. This was our weekly club-run day, but I intentionally avoided running with anyone else so that I could make my own pace, and it turned out pretty well.

I hope the weekend racers had as nice conditions as we had here this morning (and for most of the summer): sunny and high 60s in the mid-morning.

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

Good morning, everyone!

I love soft pretzels!

I've been a bit under the weather for a few days -- I have had a belly ache for a few days with no other symptoms, but it's hard to run when your stomach hurts, so I took Friday and Saturday off.

Decided to try to run today, and got in 9 out of a scheduled 13, which I think is fine -- no energy at all but that of course will come back.

9.2 miles, 1:24:34, 9:15/mi, AHR 149 (76% MHR)

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

Some very nice longish runs this morning already.

15.06 miles in 2:46:31 on my extra-hilly route.  Lots of rain.  Squishy shoes, drowned rat appearance. At least it kept me cool.  Time for something to eat, maybe a little nap, then chores/errands.

Have a great day everyone.

aka Mrs. WillRunForBeer, MD, USA

Marathoning, the triumph of desire over reason

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

Nice runs!

I get to join the chocy milk crowd today...

1 mile with dogs then 12.8 miles on the American Tobacco Trail (rails-to-trails) in Durham. Gently rolling hills and soft surface at the side of the paved portion. The only problem was 76F and a dewpoint of 71F. I knew it would be bad when my glasses fogged as I got out of the air conditioned car! I just ran by effort with HR in the low 160's and pace fell in the 9's. Nice run but glad when it was over.  I know some people run with mace or pepper spray, but I passed a big guy jogging along carrying an old baseball bat??

12.8 miles in 2:00:31 (9:25 pace, AHR 160, Max 172) +  1 mile at 11:14 with dogs b4 and nice cold 16 oz glass of chocolate milk right after the run..ahhhhh.

Knee did not affect the run and I didn't feel it at all but it still has a sore spot so I'll keep mileage low for awhile.

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

Busy week of baseball umpiring for me the past 6 days.  Big tournament CABA 18 & under World Series in town. 

Saw some great baseball & made a little $ too.  Lots of rainouts & rescheduling problems   24 teams & 45 players that were drafted by MLB but are going to college. 

11 miles in the rain this morning w/DW & 10:00 pace which right on the plan. 

Nice photosof Beach & blueberries yesterday 

Nono I agree soft pretzels sit very well but it a little tricky carrying them.  Sport beans are my choice. 

CNY 18 miles in under 9 minute pace & you make it seem like a walk in the park   Awesome!

Courage ! Do one brave thing today...then run like hell.

King of PhotoShop

Very nice Karin!

Enjoy your vacation SLO!

11 miles at 9:11 pace.  Weather was very comfortable at 80 degrees and 72% humidity, made for a brisk run.  Spareribs

I didn't have a soft pretzel today, but I did manage the Chocolate Milk.  Love that afetr a run ...

3.5 very easy miles at recovery pace.  Now trying to determine my next week's runs as I'll be in unknown places next weekend in Michigan.  I need to get the miles in somehow.

Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

dg.

Slo, have a fun and peaceful vacation.  And, I agree with Liz!

Liz, that happens to me all the time.  If I expect it to be easy, it's not.

Nono... I guess we are having low H this year... 91% this morning.   A couple of summer's ago I remember it was always 96-100,  even higher (Wink) by the river.  But we never got any awards.  good idea about the pretzel!  I'm fuel testing too!  imagine that.  And was thinking about you this morning, along with the general advice to try what your marathon is serving...    wondered if you're going to cart along coconut water.  I still don't have mine figured out.  Still like my recovery stuff, but gu, eww.  this was my first mid-run gu, as in, not stopping by the car which I run right by, (so handy. )  so i'm running along trying to squeeze out the right amounts, after opening it with my teeth, then I squeezed out too much & it was all over my hands.   trying to get that off I think got me a couple of funny looks too.  In case you want to try it  ;-)   Glad your run went well.  I like  having another first timer, on the same plan!

Nice run Karin!

and PDR!    and ... I forget because I'm not looking right now.

Erika, yes please. 

too long already, so here's my run & a couple of pictures.   The Plan was for a 12 mile progression run, but a friend last night suggested to just do the 12 & see how I felt otherwise, with the body part battles and all.  Seemed pretty smart (almost like Holly wasn't on vacation Wink )   I didn't look at pace at all, I'm only running by feel almost always right now.  Anyway.   64F to start, 71 to finish.  12.61 miles, 2:08:42. 10:12 average pace, 9:07 max. ahr 166, 179 max. Didn't like that part.  Can't call it progression, but I am glad that my base pace is getting faster.  Miles were 10:40, 10:03, 10:09, 10:07, 10:08, 10:07, 10:16, 10:04, 10:16, 10:12, 10:22, 10:13.  last .6 was at  9:38 pace.      still working on form at the end per SR wisdom.  

Nice run SR Smile

so the pictures...    when I cut the grass yesterday I was trying to not chop up little ...really little.. baby toads that spring from my neighbor's pond.  You can just see them trying to get out of the way.  I caught one, he was so still in my hands, so we went inside for the camera.  He decided he didn't want to be still anymore so I had to catch him again in the kitchen, twice. (cat issues).   Isn't he cute?

sorry these are so big!!  i'll resize them soon.

when I got home I saw this outside.   Twocat... how are your coneflowers?  hope you manage to win the squirrel battle.   this one's for Nancy.

dg.

I didn't have a soft pretzel today, but I did manage the Chocolate Milk.  Love that afetr a run ...

3.5 very easy miles at recovery pace.  Now trying to determine my next week's runs as I'll be in unknown places next weekend in Michigan.  I need to get the miles in somehow.

Bill

unknown places?  as in,  you don't know where you'll be??

Renee the dog

Nono I agree soft pretzels sit very well but it a little tricky carrying them.   

Sarge, you made me laugh out loud.  Yeah, not gonna try to stuff one in my waistband and hope it lasts!  I'm very fortunate that my husband and my two kids come and support me at many of my races.  Leading up to race day, the kids and I pour over the course map and decide where we'll intersect.  They feel like they are part of Mom's "win" when I finish because they are my support crew.  And, I really like it like that!  A pretzel would easy for their little hands to hand over.  My only concern is that it  might be partially eaten. 

dg, yes, I always carry a throw-away bottle with my coconut water in it for a race of 10 mi or longer.  It also keeps my stomach settled.  Towards the end of a race, it doesn't matter what I eat/drink it seems. Just early on. So I carry 12 oz of coconut water knowing it isn't forever. 

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

Mariposai

OHhhhhhhh dg, this is just what I needed. Thanks sistah!!! I love coneflowers, I have 4 plants at one side of my house. I needed some spirit lifting up and YOU did it!!!! Look how strong the wings look. Just love it.

I ran 18 miles today, average pace 11:30. 13 miles easy and the rest 5 in survival mode. This was one of the hardest LR I have ever done. The high temperature is largely to be blamed, but I went into this run knowing that this run was going to test my limits. The temperature was already at 72F at 4:45, this added to the high humidity, the hours and hours of being on my feet yesterday (a kid's fair for 6 hours plus canning cherries for 4 hours at night) plus the sleepless night I had all added up for a very tired wings from step one.

Considering my reality I decided to just go for a slow LR and aim at running the last 2 miles at MP. The going was tough. The last 5 miles was truely in survival mode. I drank 2 bottles of water and 2 bottles of gatorade, 2 gus, 2 salt tables and even then I felt I could have used more. Anyway, I got it done including the last 2 miles at 8:50, with a 30 sec stop for water in between the MP miles.

Got it done and I will remember this run the later part of the NYC marathon when I am tired and I just to quit. Staying awake at church was a huge task.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard