Masters Running

Sunday, April 20 Daily....."twas the night before Boston when......" (Read 564 times)

6 easy miles for me this warm and windy afternoon. 10:38 pace. Watched the womens trials this morning on the net. Nice race...boy that Deena Kastor looked strong. Ribs...I'm with ya on all that stuff. Hang in therel, man. Our turn is coming....someday....I hope....welll we can always wish! Roll eyes I hope they're having the time of their lives!
    Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM
    stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Happy pre-Boston afternoon to all. I guess I'll be rubbing it in for Sapreribs, too (sorry) Evil grin I took advantage of living close to the trials and went to be one of the token non-marathoners at BTB's pre- and post-race gathering. I got to re-meet a few folks I've been lucky enough to have met previously (Henrun and Marj and the Pro) and then a bunch of new. I got it started earlier than I was expecting--there was a group of runners waiting on the platform for the train into Boston that I ended up sitting near. when they were talking about how friendly runners were, I chimed in that they were pretty friendly on line (except for a curmudgeon here and there) and was going to see if they were as nice in person. One asked me what forum I was on and when I said RA, he said "pleased to meet you, I'm mainerunnah" Smile The morning was off to a good start! An unfortunate side effect of being a little late to BTB's was that I tried to jog a bit and discovered that my shins haven't gone away as much as I thought. Bob put on a great spread and he's not fooling anyone--he is as nice in person as he is on line. He has some great friends, too. I ended up walking over to the start with Henry, Marj, Tim (way5om) It was pretty amazing to see that pack of elite runners take off at an incredible pace. Bob had on his cootie hat and had staked out an awesome spot for watching. There I got to meet Robin, Perch (both of whom I need to apologize to for not introducing myself. everyone was just talking and they seemed pretty familiar Shy), Fortunate One, Holly and I think PBJ (judging by the beer's party pictures). There's probably a few that I'm missing, but I was sort of overwhelmed to meet so many mystical figures at once. Oh, and the race was pretty impressive, too, as we arrived jsut as the first runners came by. It was amazing to see them go by so many times. Magdelana Lewy-Boulet came through so far ahead of the pack that everyone was aghast. Watching Deena catch up over the last couple of laps was even more impressive. After all that excitement, I went over to the Expo and got overwhelmed again. Never had any idea thater could be that many things related to running Shocked and that many people loking at them. all in all a wonderful day. Looking forward to more reports of today and especially tomorrow. Have a GREAT race to all that are running. Kevin

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

This is just a mini-Boston update. I arrived in town yesterday afternoon. I had hoped to meet btb at the expo but it was not to be. He was scheduled to visit with Amy from 2-4 and since things were apparently going so well he was there for sometime afterwards. Even though my conversation with him was somewhat brief he is, as we all know from his posts here, a wonderful guy. The expo is pretty impressive. There are tons of vendors. You can eat you way through the place, although I would not recommend doing so! Your "meal" would consist mostly of variations on Cliff bars and the like. Yeck! There was one booth set up by the beef industry that was giving away roast beef wraps. Now that was good! If you wanted to make a pile of money here in Back Bay then you wanted to sell the official windbreaker they had at the expo. It was $90. For my taste it was a "bit much" and it is unlikely I would actually have the desire to wear it day-to-day. Clearly thousands of others do not feel that way as you see people walking all around with them on. The weather is great! Tomorrow is supposed to be just as great. If last year provided some of the worst conditions this race has ever seen this year will be some of the best. It is and will be cool, and dry, with some cloud cover. Just walking around the finish area for the race is quite a sight. There are stands set up, the finish line, the medical tents, lots and lots of race things all around. While driving in I saw the family meeting area signs. As millions of pages of tips have already indicated on race day your last name begins with B. People watching is also quite interesting. In most of America walking down the street half the population looks as though it is likely to have a heart attack any minute. In Boston, not today! You have never seen so many people who look so fit and fast scattered around in your life! I have been to the NYC and Washington D.C. marathons and it is not the same. For both of them the runners are too scattered about relative to the local populations for you to really notice them prior to race day. Here the streets look like a movie producer has filled them with people about some alternative reality in which the obesity crises has magically vanished only to be replaced with an excessive exercise panic. Big grin Finally the Olympic trials have generated additional excitement. There were small crowds near the finish to cheer the runners on as they looped by. I saw a bit of this from some distance but must admit to not have gone for a close up look. As to me, I have not totally given up on running tomorrow. I have my alarm set for 4:30am. I will get up and hit the treadmill for a mile. If in the event a miracle occurs and my leg feels fine I will get my gear together and head to the buses. Otherwise it is back to bed. Good running all and enjoy what is left of the weekend.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Teresadfp

One day at a time

6.4 miles for me at 10:42 pace this afternoon - 59 degrees, sunny, and windy - perfect! I keep telling myself to go slower, but it doesn't seem to be working. Is that OK? My 5k race pace was 9:40, so it seems like I should be training slower than 11 minutes per mile. Confused Thanks for any thoughts! Oh, a neat thing happened last night. We (meaning all 5 of us) celebrated my daughter's 10th birthday by going to the Macaroni Grill (her choice - a good one!). We went all out and ordered drinks (sangria for me, ymm), salad, entrees, dessert, and coffee for DH and me. At one point, our waiter told us he'd put our name in a hat - the winner would get dinner on the house. A little later, the manager came over with balloons for our daughter, and the news that we'd won!! The bill came to $147! I couldn't believe it. We left the waiter a $45 tip because he did a good job. What a fun evening. Things like that don't happen too often! Weather looks good in Boston for tomorrow! I'll be thinking about everyone as I go for my run. Good luck!!

King of PhotoShop

Despite my curmudgeonly prankstering, you all know I am as interested in the goings-on as the rest of you. Those were two great updates from Kevin and Twocat. Cat, I hope that calf has a miracle cure for you tomorrow and you can get to the start. If you think marathon madness is not in the air, Breger started the daily on Kick today with "march 20 runs" and no one noticed! You Boston folks, keep us up to date! hally, where's a report? Spareribs
              You Boston folks, keep us up to date! hally, where's a report? Spareribs
              This is the first I have been on RA today, and I wanted to post a link to my pictures from the party dawndaughter1 and her husband were so gracious to provide a venue: http://www.pbase.com/lking/boston2008 . This gallery also has the course, which we drove on the way coming into town. There are also a bunch of pictures of the Olympic trials (and I really mean a bunch -- the camera was on rapid-repeat for a bit and I haven't gone through them). When they load (if they load) they'll be at http://www.pbase.com/lking/bostonolympictrials2008 eventually. We've been busy sightseeing, you know watching the Olympic trials, walking the freedom trail, etc. Legs a bit tired, but I'm sure we'll be fine tomorrow. Gee, maybe we should have taken a nap. Hmm. [just kidding, of course] We'll head out to the dinner in a bit -- we may just leave the camera in the hotel, though. How would we find your family, 'ribs?

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

dg.

SR, I like your curmudgeonly Boston ranting, I get to vent vicariously & then pretend I am mentally balanced when I post. Roll eyes Twocat, I'm pulling for you!!! Kevin, all in all, it's good you still for the most part have your shins. Off to look at Lou's Links. it was nice to see you two spectating at the trials!
                  "Breger started the daily on Kick today with "march 20 runs" and no one noticed!"
                  It's not March??? Ooops. You mean it's only 2 weeks to Eugene? EEK! Gotta go run. Gotta strart carb-loading. Gotta check my shoes and running stuff .... EEK! Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Henrun

Another great meeting with our virtual and no longer virtual friends at Bob's this morning. Got in early on the T and were greeted by Bart Yasso (of Runner's World) as we walked down Boylston to the finish line. Filled up on goodies at Bob's as folks wandered in. Then watched a wonderful race. We were amazed by Deena's strong finish and cheered all the runners, especially Joannie as she cruised to an age group record. Back to Bob's at the finish and home to rest. Hope all tomorrow's runners get some rest today-it'll be bit warm out on the road but cooler as they hit the sea breeze on the finishing stretch.
                      At the risk of incurring a serious penalty - probably from Ribs, since he's so cheesed off anyway - I'm posting yesterday's run on today's thread. I'm committing this dire offense because (1) it was a distance PR and (2) I was hanging out with friends at the bay so long afterward that the library computer center was closed by the time I got there. Did my first-ever 8-mile run yesterday on the boardwalk (and some streets on either end) on a beautiful, early-summer-like afternoon. I took it slowly, walked a little bit each mile, thought lots about boomer/masters karma and Amy on mile 8, and finished strong. I didn't exactly feel like a super hero when I finished - in fact, I thought I was gonna get sick for a few minutes - but once I got some water and stretched a little, I felt an amazing sense of accomplishment. And now an even greater sense of more good things to come, thanks in no small part to the inspiration I find here every single day - especially this weekend! I'm having small issues with my right heel and left knee, which I think are related to the orthotics. Seeing the podiatrist tomorrow, so will hopefully get them tweaked correctly this time. Felt good enough today to kick a soccer ball around with my 3-year-old godson for a while, but otherwise took a rest day. At this risk of upsetting Ribs even more, I "met" someone I know along the way, but it wasn't anyone from RA. My best friend's SIL, whose DH owns a sailboat on which I've crewed a few times, pulled up beside me in mile 6, when I was really struggling because I was on the street and away from the sea breeze. Before I realized who it was, I was freaking out because I thought someone was going to ask me for directions! When I got to my friend's business on the bay afterward, two other friends that I hadn't seen since last summer were there and I blurted out, for the first time among real rather than virtual friends, that I'm going to run the Philly Distance Run HM in September. So, there you have it. I'm going to run a half marathon. {gulp} Shocked Can a marathon be far behind? Have a blast in Boston, everyone. Thanks for the PRs (party reports) so far. Run well. Can't wait for the race reports. Smile Eliz

flomotioncoaching.com

Eliz, congrats on the first ever 8 miler!! So you didn't feel like Wonderwoman? Maybe you will tomorrow. Did you hydrate, eat a little? Whenever it starts to feel too tough, I just dial it down a notch, and soon it all gets better. Good luck on the HM. It is a the perfect distance.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

btb1490

Rant number three: Never met PBJ or the family, Steve Perch, BTB, IrunMike, Ilene, or any of the spouses. And did anybody post that they are all up there saying, "Gee, I wish Spareribs were here."??? NO!
                          Wrong! Read my post from yesterday! Tongue Just too many highlights from the weekend so far to post right now, so for now I just want to post an all encompassing statement saying that my encounter with all the Boomers I have met this weekend has been beyond my expectations. What an incredible group of people. I really hope that everyone here on this forum gets the same opportunity I did to meet everyone! You guys are the best! I really hope to get to meet every one of you! dg- I'd never met Amy before yesterday, but we've corresponded (through her mom) and spoken on the phone, so when we met, it was as if we'd known each other forever. How do you think I reacted when we saw each other for the first time, and she yelled out "Hi Bob!" as if we were best buddies, and came right over and plopped down onto my lap? Here we are at the banquet, decorating a flower pot, which later was filled with potting soil and some flower seeds. I told Amy to make sure she takes care of the flowers so they can grow up to be big and strong like she will be.
                            Oh My! I absolutely love those pictures! What a Doll! And what a great guy you are Bob. Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

TammyinGP

Bob - that's a great pic of you and Amy! Sounds like you had a wonderful first time meeting! Eliz - congrats on your first ever 8 mile run!! I remember the first time I hit 8 miles and it felt like a busted through a barrier for me! I'm loving all the reports of meet-ups that are taking place so far! I'm so envious and jealous and happy for you all and the wonderful friendships that were already here on the board, but now take on a new dimension as well with the real life meet-ups. I did a cross training session today - 30 min of spinning which was 7 miles, 4 miles running on the TM, and then leg weights - hams and quads, followed by some stretching. My glutes were still a bit tight from all the lunges I did 2 days ago Roll eyes

Tammy

King of PhotoShop

So much for curmudgeon. Those pictures made me cry. Spareribs