Masters Running

Wednesday, February 11 - over the hump day! (Read 490 times)

#artbydmcbride

Late post for yesterday night, I ran 4 miles nice and easy, still getting my legs to loosen up form running on Catalina. Enjoy the gift ya'll! Smile

Runners run

4 magical healing miles. 11:20? pace. Never would have run this slow 2 years ago, but I am getting quite good at it. Smile Slipped a few times on black ice. Now I remember why I did 10 on the TM yesterday. Tomorrow is tempo day, what should I do? 5 miles @ HMP or 3 miles @ 10K pace?

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

King of PhotoShop

Enke, I vote for taking the greater volume of quality miles, 5 at HMP. Parchment, I see you truncated the rest interval on those Yasso's. Nice job. Craneium, I would love to hear those presentations of yours. I bet they are very motivating given your athletic coaching skills. I guess it's interval day here. You all did well. I didn't do any of course, but I did do a 7 miler. This is important to me because my goal is to get to 40 miles a week, and then at 40 miles reconfigure my week so that I do a two-hour run on Sundays, about 13 miles or so, and about an 8-miler on Wednesdays, and no days off. I have not had a day off since early January. When I can do this without undue fatigue, then I am going to start adding quality miles to Sunday and Wednesday's workouts, wave runs or tempo on Sundays, track work on Wednesdays. So doing 7 today is my longest mid-week run so far and I'm getting closer to goal. I worked out at my Y after my run, full stretch and core routine. Tim, my Y is always packed lately, and I attribute it to the number of people who are presently out of work. Spareribs
          biketm can you say headlamp? Smile Holly S. not fair! How come I never get to do a just go out and run run with CNYrunner and she lives only one state away! What am I chopped liver? Big grin

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Slo

Ribs, I like your plan. My goal is to average a min of 50 mpw over the next few months prior to Triathlon season starting. Once bike season gets here my running miles will drop off. I plan on keeping one moderate effort day and one quality day that will alternate weekly between Intervals and classic tempos......just to keep the saw sharp....so to speak. Re: the packed Y's. We have it terrible here. We have (had) a YM and a YW. The YM has been having fiscal problems for years and they finally struck a deal with the YW. Deal is......the YM will close thier existing building and move to a temp adhock facility.....an old elementary school building on the far end of town. The YM and YW will become one enity.......HAHAHAHAHA. BIGGER BETTER STRONGER. They are looking into building a new facility........Plans are to have it completed in two years. And thats with having no land and no funding........HAHAHAHAHA So all the YM members are now YW members and the YW does not have the facilities to handle both memberships or the increse in membership from the new year resolutions. No one is going to the temporary location. The pool........We used to have 3 indoor pools in this town. Now we are down to 1 5 lane short course pool. There has been some very bad and hasty decisions made.
              Hi everyone! 6 over easy for me. I am too lazy to run intervals. That's all I have to say about running today. Feb. is always the longest-seeming month to me. One of my favorite songs is "The Waters of March" by Antonio Carlos Jobim. I allow myself to start playing it a lot around Feb. 15 or so. Another bright spot: a bunch of the Sox reported early for spring training! They're not due until the 18th (just pitchers and catchers now) but they are ready to go! I love those guys! grins, A
              Masters 2000 miles
                SLO_HAND we got Y troubles too! Must be an epidemic. The local Y has a building that was outdated long ago. They also have a very large lot they frequently use as a camp site in the wooded section of town. So, they sensibly want to build a new facility at the campground and give up their old building. This naturally sparked the NIMBY's into action which around here means lawsuits galore. After years of impact reports, town meetings, court hearings and the like this rather logical move was finally approved this past year by the town and the lower courts. So are we seeing construction? Nope! Higher court suites have been filed and until they are resolved no construction. People wonder why the cost of construction, especially public works, has gone through the roof. The answer is legal wrangling. Put an end to that and we can likely afford to build things again and in a timely manner. I would create a state wide commission. You go before them, argue your case, they decide and that is that. No environmental impact or other statements unless the side that wants them wants to generate one because they think it will help their case. That should help end demanding such things as a stalling tactic as opposed to an information gathering device. Yes, sometime they will make the wrong decision. But as they say the best should not be the enemy of the good.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

6 miles in 58:00. Easy pace. Ribs, I have been watching your come back with great interest. I like the way you always have a plan and stick with it. That is hard for most people. That is why you have earned such high respect around here. Good luck ! I also am to that time where I need to organize my weeks better. My base building is going well after my injury and I have a weekly milage plan up through August that includes a 4 mile, 10k, 25k, 1/2 mary . full mary and a 10 miler as key races. that I hope to PR in. My weekly milage maxes out at around 50. I did my first hill work out this week and hope to get one hill day a week . I beieve this was one of the things that gave me strength in my marathon last year. I also would like to do some sort of speed work (kind of) Last year I embeded some BMP (Boston MP) into my mid week medium long run. I will probably do the same this year. Of course one long run and a recovery run the day after. That leaves one day for some other speed type work. Right now I am planning on just doing a tempo run. So my schedule would look like this: Sunday........Long 9-10 minute miles Monday ......Recovery 10- 10.5 minute miles Tuesday......Hills Wednesday ..Medium Long ( usually 1/2 of the long run distance) BMP for at least 1/2 of it 8.25 minute miles Thursday.....Easy 9-10 minute miles Friday............Off beer and pizza day Saturday.....Tempo 8-9 minute miles Last year I took Mondays off and ran easy on Saturdays to make sure I had a good effort on the long run. I am hoping this extra work will turn into some extra speed. Speed is relitive here remember. I am not all that speedy to begin with. I am not convinced intervals would do me any better than my Tempo Saturdays. Anyway thats "The Plan" Good runs everyone Larry

Chumbawamba: I get knocked down But I get up again You're never going to keep me down

Evryday and Pfriese – scary times. Glad your families were not hurt by the tornados. Paul – softball sized hail? Yikes!
                    Yes, thanks. 6 miles for me this evening....10:19 pace. I saw turkeys.....they were not flying. But they could've if they wanted to. Looking out at the road rushing under my wheels Looking back at the years gone by like so many summer fields. In sixty-five I was 17 and running up one-o-one. I don't know where I'm running now, I'm just running on. Running on, Running on empty. Running on, Running blind. Running on, Running into the sun But I'm running behind. I liked the song theme yesterday so much that I'm gonna do a running song evrytime I post ...until I can't think of anymore, or I get tired, or somebody pays me to stop.
                    Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM
                    pfriese

Evryday and Pfriese – scary times. Glad your families were not hurt by the tornados. Paul – softball sized hail? Yikes!
                      Thanks Holly. 7.75 nice & easy miles in near perfect running weather, hard to believe after yesterdays storms. Paul

King of PhotoShop

Evryday, first let me say how much I enjoy your posts. You often have imaginative, interesting things to say, and we must be close in age to love those old Jackson Brown tunes. For many distance runners, the quiet and stoic theme of "runnin' on empty" has been very close to all of us. Thanks for putting up that great lyric. Beats hell out of "if you knew Peggy Sue, then you'd know why I feel blue...." haillar (Larry), I hope you won't mind if I comment on your plan. I also read your posts and have been watching your progress. I have some feedback about this last post if you are interested but would rather keep it offline. Spareribs823 at gmail dot com. SLO, thank you for your comment., and your idea for the next few months is sensible for its gradual growth and balance. For all of you who spend time in the pool, do yoga or pilates, walk briskly, or do some form of dynamic stretching, cycling, pliometrics, XC skiing, elliptical, TM, Stairmaster, good for you. Many of these low impact exercises are wonderful for conditioning, and i don't think we honor the people who do them well enough. Did everyone see Breger's pool work the other day? Good going Bill, but honestly you posted way too much data about it. Spareribs
                          Evryday I like your idea of posting with a running song, I'll be looking forward to them... Cool I had this song on my mind today Whenever I need to leave it all behind Or feel the need to get away I find a quiet place, far from the human race Before the breathin air is gone Before the sun is just a bright spot in the night time Out where the rivers like to run I standrun alone and take back something worth remembering Out in the country 6.2 miles at 8:35 pace, middle 4 miles at tempo (approx 8:15 pace) Finishing 10 minutes before the rain Smile

Courage ! Do one brave thing today...then run like hell.

By far my favorite running song is Cake's "Going the Distance." If you do not listen too closely to the lyrics you can pretend it is about racing and who can listen closely while running anyway? Smile Here is the bit that seems like it is about running a race: Engines pumping and thumping in time. The green light flashes, the flags goes up, Churning and burning, they yearn for the cup. They deftly maneuver and muscle for rank, Fuel burning fast on an empty tank, Reckless and wild they pour through the turns, Their prowess is potent and secretly stern. As they speed through the finish the flags go down. The fans get up, and get out of town. The arena is empty except for one man, Still driving and striving as fast as he can The sun has gone down and the moon has come up, And long ago somebody left with the cup, But he's driving and striving and hugging the turns, And thinking of someone for whom he still burns. He's going the distance. He's going for speed. If you start and stop with this snippet you can pretend it is about knowing you will not win the race but doing your best anyway. Of course, if you do listen to all of the lyrics you quickly realize it is about trying in vain to climb the corporate ladder and in doing so sacrificing your relationships with those you love. So the key is to not listen that closely, or at least not closely to the whole song, so that you do not realize this when it comes up on your headphones!

Mariposai

10 miles for me today, including 6 x 1000m with 1 minute recovery. My legs were a bit stiff at the start, so I decided to warm up with a 3 slow miler, stretch and then started the intervals. Target was 5:05, although the mud and spotty frozen snow played havoc with my pacing. 5:10 5:06 5:10 5:07 5:05 5:03 Cool down to a very cool sunset. Great and challenging lyrics twocat. I am more of the carpe diem type of a gal, even with my professional career.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Franc59

Half Fanatic #36

Just 4 bonus miles after work and before dark.....hopefully next week I'll be able to sneak in a whole 5 before it get too spooky to be out on the trail on my own. Oops,I forgot, probably no running next week due to the business in town...any Seattle folks want to join Jon and me on Thursday night 2/19 for dinner or drinks? back to running... I think my Tue runs with my speedy friend are already paying of.. faster miles with less effort...wow..!!! A good evening to all! Francesca