Masters Running

Saturdaily, 7.15.23 (Read 34 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' Masters.

Belated Happy Birthdays to Carolyn and Nancy!! I hope your celebrations are wonderful, and extend through the weekend!

We have one TV, and it is in the den, and is relatively small by today's standards, and we are OK with that. We just don't watch much TV. We also have no electronics in our bedroom, unless you count our projection clock (which projects in red, so you don't see it unless you are looking at it). DW wears her iWatch to bed, but has it on some kind of night setting so it is silent. I usually do nothing but read during the hour before I go to bed, and that makes it easy for me to get to sleep quickly.

I was up at 4:15 this morning, and out the door 15 minutes later for 6.75 RW miles in clouded 70° temps with a welcome breeze. Then 35 minutes of stretching and core work. Now I have to get ready for a 3-hour work session for our nonprofit Board this morning, so I'm going to keep moving along.

Have a greta Ides of July.

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Thanks, Jay.  Good RW and have a good work day!

It was going to be raining and storming much of the morning and I had decided against the group run anyway due to how tired I've been and their course today is not my favorite. I bailed on my personal 8 miler but caught a break in the rain at 7:15 and went out the front door for a mainly easy 4.6 mile run. It rained on me just a tiny bit- which felt good. It is still terribly warm and humid, but with the clouds and little bit of rain, it was a lot better than it's been. I got home just before it started really pouring again. Robert Earl seems to be feeling a little better!

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

Good morning Jay and Karen and those still typing...

Thanks for the start Jay. A 3-hour work session? On a Saturday?  It's great how involved you are in your community.

I'm glad Robert Earl is feeling better Karen. Good run this morning. Sometimes you just need to do your own thing, right?

A belated happy birthday to the twins! I hope you had a great day.

Erika! Nice to see your posts two days in a row. And SB and Norm too!

TV's? DH is a TV addict. Like Tammy's DH, he'd have the television on 24/7, always on some type of sporting event. Nope. At least not while I'm still alive! I love to pull out some old CD's and listen to classic rock or jazz, or turn on NPR and listen to "Wait Wait, Don't Tell Me," or "Dr Zorba" or any of the other wonderful podcasts they have.

Poor air quality here again today, and just not feeling it. I parked near farmers market and started out running, which quickly turned into a brisk walk. 5.25 miles through the 'hood, then on to farmers market and loaded up a big bag with beets, cabbage, green beans, cauliflower, onions, tomatoes and blueberries. Since we've been having one or two dinners that are all veggies, this bag should probably last us until next week. I've been slicing the beets thick, then basting them with olive oil and balsamic vinegar and grilling them. They're delicious!

Off to watch DGS#3 play in a baseball tournament. Have a great day Masters!

yep

Happy B'Days to wild and mari

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

bioguy

Well that was a bad decision…I signed up for a 5k at a vineyard just up the road. Unfortunately start time was 9am. 83 degrees and 74% humidity. Very little shade. Ended up with 31:31, way slower than my last 5k.

There were souvenir wine glasses and a complimentary glass, but I would have been happier with a 7 am start.

Also- just after I got home from the run these two baby raccoons appeared by my front steps!  I had never seen them before!  It was a little freaky.

The wine glasses are cool swag, though!

coastwalker, great way to start the day, albeit a little early for a 6.75 RW on a Saturday. Good luck with the work session.

Karen, sometimes bailing on a group run is the answer. You got a nice 4.6 miler in a drizzle, hmm, I'd take that.

Jlynne, I completely agree with you on the tuneage, classic rock or jazz of any kind works for me too.

bioguy, sometimes sh*t happens. To many of us, the start time is very important. I am with you on the 7 AM starts!

Happy Birthday wildchild and mari! Well this morning I repented for the copious amount of beer consumed last night. I went out at 8:45 for a 5.5 miler in a cloudy 59F day that was somewhat less than stellar.(masterfully understated)  Geez I hate when that happens. Have a greight Saturday Masters!

Marathon Maniac #957

Belated birthday wishes to the twins!

Bio - pretty hot for a 5k, but I always like souvenir glasses.  Are they your prescription?    

DH is also a TV addict - our downstairs living room TV is almost always on, and if he is home that is where you will find him.  Unless he is doing yardwork or in the garage.  Even when he is not home I have it on a lot just for the background sound, even though I am usually on the computer. You will think I'm crazy, but on work mornings I will turn on CBS Mornings on all 3 TVs, downstairs living room, upstairs living room, and bedroom, so that as I move through the house doing various things and getting ready, that I don't miss any of it.  But that's the only time I do that.

Jeanne - I was just telling DH that I need to remember to stop at the farmers market we have here on Wednesdays.  I am the only one who eats veggies, though, other than corn.  I wonder if it is time for sweet corn....

Rain here for most of the day, but I got in 2.25 miles just ahead of the thunder boomers.

We are heading off to try a new Mexican restaurant for lunch, and then will likely putter around the house for the afternoon.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

moebo

Happy belated birthday to Wild and Mari from me, too!

Quite a lot going on here yesterday. Erika's story about her GF's comments on names reminded me of my maternal GM, who was Irish. Interestingly, being lower in the social pecking order didn't seem to give her much empathy or tolerance-- she was quite disdainful of anyone who wasn't Irish. Thankfully that didn't seem to affect my mother's attitudes.

We have 3 TVs,  but mostly watch the one in the living room (which we can see and hear from anywhere is our main living space). I think it's 55"? Not big enough in my SO's opinion, but plenty for me. My SO and I watch something together most evenings. There is so much to pick from nowadays! We usually choose a film or streaming show we both want to watch. We also watch the news, usually during dinner prep. Other than that, my SO watches the local news and weather when he wakes up (he is weather-obsessed), but I prefer reading the news online or listening to the radio (npr).

I woke up a little too late to avoid the sun today, so I did 5 TM miles. Yuck.

bioguy

Mrs Bio and I have one tv and judging by the comments on here, ours is pretty tiny.

Henrun

2.5 mile walk/run by the bay of Boston in a H/H morning with a bright sun and a breeze by the water.

Interesting comments about tv and food. M. And I are omnivores, love veggies and eat a lot of seafood, especially since we live near the ocean.We know a number of men who avoid veggies.

It halso seems that the tv addicts are mostly men. It must also be generational, I grew up with the radio and our Sonos system is internet radio. Therefore I find stations throughout the world with the music I like. But I also do a lot of reading.

I could live without a TV. I have one that I sometimes turn on to watch the news. But for years didn't even do that, until the pandemic. Otherwise I only use it to watch Seahawks games in the fall. It was really for the kids and ex to use. I am saving all my TV watching for retirement! I was curious about the size, so I measured it. 45 inches. Seems quite big to me, would not want anything larger. It's in the family room.

So my plan to get out for a walk/run earlier today completely failed. Didn't sleep well so ended up sleeping in. Was 9 am before I headed out, and in the 70s already, about 75 when I got home. I tried to find shady sections in my neighbourhood and was often crossing back and forth from one side to another. At one point, I was going to do 2 laps of the middle school track before heading home, but it was too sun exposed!  So changed up the plan and jogged alongside the building in the shade.  3 miles.  I overheated.  Got home and took a LONG time to cool down, even with a cold shower. My face was crimson. Still is somewhat.

DD coming over today. We'll do lunch and I will take her back either Sunday night or Monday morning to her place.

Then a fancy dinner tomorrow night with MBE's family, for his sister's birthday, I guess.

Looking forward to the company summer event Tuesday. I will get to meet a few colleagues from other parts of the country.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Dave59

Cindy is still up in Michigan so I am still on call for my father-in-law's morning medicine. I like to do a longer run on the weekends but unless I get up at Jay-O'clock it isn't possible. I did that once and I don't recommend it.

So I got up about 5:00 AM and ran 5 miles. I got cleaned up, took care of my father-in-law, and had breakfast with him. Then I tried to go out for another run. But it is hard to run in the heat and humidity with a full stomach, so I only managed 3 miles. My lower limit goal was 3 miles so I made that, but I was hoping for another 5 miles.  It was just too tough to keep going.

It's storming outside now. Last week during some storms, lightening hit an apartment building about 100 yards from the townhouse we used to live in. The apartment building burned down. No one was hurt but 20+ families are homeless now.

We have 3 TV's and I sometimes consider getting a 4th to put in the basement. It is so nice and cool down there in the summer. Some nights I watch a lot of TV and some nights I don't.  What I watch is all streaming (unless it is live sports). We have subscriptions to Acorn, Brit Box, and PBS Masterpiece.  Great shows from all over the world.  I also have a subscription to YouTube. I love watching stuff on there. All kinds of running shows, sports shows, news shows....  The "content creators" on YouTube are so clever.   I am a little disappointed with all the censorship YouTube does, mostly of conservative viewpoints, but overall it is still fun to watch.

In my 20s I didn't have a TV and didn't want one.  I actually rented one once to watch the Boston Marathon (I think it was).  I believe these days there is some really excellent content and Ken and I really enjoy a couple hours of TV a night.  There are network shows we like and also series like Yellowstone, Ted Lasso, The Morning Show etc.  And movies, of course.  We have the evening news on while we (he) makes dinner, but we don't ever have the TV on during the day unless there has been some big news thing or an important sporting event.  I watch my cable news channel while I'm on the treadmill.   Neither of us loved some of the really hit shows like Breaking Bad (we got through it- but barely) or The Bear (did season 1 and that's it for us).