Masters Running

Daily for 12/27 Masters (Read 451 times)

Marathon Maniac #957

Good Afternoon! My legs were not feeling very sproinky this morning, but I couldn’t resist the 58 degree temp., even if it was accompanied by 20-30mph winds. What a joy to run in a t-shirt and skirt again! 20 miles for me today, pretty darn slowly, with 3 potty/hydration stops and almost another mile walking. No fueling other than water and a Krispy Kreme donut at about mile 7. This is the first time I have run that far since last May, and it was tough, tough, tough, especially because of the wind and since I wasn’t feeling energetic in the first place, but you have to make use of the best weather at this time of year. Glad to be done, though, and only one blister. Smile

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

evanflein

58 degrees? Wow.... It's 81 degrees COLDER than that here! -23 this morning... was going to run the trail today, but we also have some wind (not typical for us) and I'd be in some exposed areas on the ridge. Hmmm, what to do, what to do...
        Greta run Holly. I only did one potty/hydration stop less than you, and I only ran 7 miles! My stomach is a mess from all of the refined flour and sugar I've eaten the past few days. Mari - I have a white ceramic nativity like the one on your Christmas tree! Smile Nono - greta news about mom's visit and the kids' stellar behavior. You could use a pair of glasses like the ones I got a good friend - they look like 3D glasses and when you look at the Christmas lights through them, you see bunches and bunches of happy faces. I gave them to her to help her survive the holidays with her MIL! Ran 7 in the mist today - the kind of weather that one of my sailing buddies calls Irish sunshine - at home. Found hill that I never realized were so steep. So foggy that it was the first time I wore the reflective shirt, the one that makes me look like a grapefruit with legs, in the daytime. Temps in the mid-40s is pretty awesome. I have 15 miles to make my revised goal of 550 for the year, but don't think I have another long run in me before next weekend. Current plan is for 2-3 recovery miles tomorrow and then will figure out what to do Tuesday and Wednesday. Forecast for the 1st is for ridiculously warm weather. I just may do my first-ever New Years Day dip in the ocean after the 5K! Put my toes in last year, vowing to actually swim this year. Who knew the weather would cooperate to the point that I just might have to follow through? Off for a little gift card redemption fun and dinner with my niece and her kidlets. Enjoy the rest of the weekend, everyone. Eliz Smile

flomotioncoaching.com

Holly, Good Grief! 20 miles! WTG!!! I do not, however, echo your sentiments (and most everyone else's) about the warm weather. It was a balmy 64 degrees here when I ventured out after yoga class (big mistake) and instead of going my intended 8, I went a mere 5.1. Give me 20 degrees and tights/hat,vest any day. I enjoy covering up as much as possible Big grin Thank goodness there are a few more days in this year. Gotta get in about 15 more to beat last month's total and not be on the bottom rung of wildchild's honor roll.
          spacityrunner

I started to get ready for my run and I fretted about what to wear. It was only 43F but the news kept saying it was going to sixty. When was it going to get there??? During my run?? What if I had to tie my jacket around my waist??? Oh no, ribs will not allow it. So I wore my running skirt and a long sleeve top with a nice little sugoi vest. I was dressed perfectly for the current conditions. I packed my fuel belt with 2 gu, and filled 4 of the little bottles with water (I so wish they could make a bottle that doesn’t leak). Stuffed my gloves in my vest pocket and off I go. The plan, 9 miles or 1 hour 50 minutes whichever comes first. 2 stops for gu, water and stretching. The route? Around Haines point to Georgetown waterfront . I achieved success. Overcast and grey, I could hear the planes taking off from DCA but could not see them till I rounded the bend on Haines point. The bend is now naked, the awakening having been planted in Maryland, a patch of brown, dead grass where it used to lay…it is sad. Waterfowl dotted the Potomac, geese honking so loudly that I could barely hear my music. The good weather has deposited numerous tourists around the area as families strolled around our nation’s capitol. At mile 2 I had to make a potty stop (too much coffee this a.m.) and thankfully one of the bathrooms at Haines point was open. As I entered there was woman in there doing her laundry. She was standing at the sink washing her clothes and she had the wet clothes on the hand dryers, drying. She had a system going and it was clear this was not her first time doing this. It helped me to remember just how very much I have… So, the stats. 9.10 miles in 1:50:40 for an avg. 12:10 m/m. Splits: 12:29, 12:33, 11:31, 11:50, 11:59, 12:03, 11:31, 11:40, and 13:18. Gu at mile 4 (~50 min) and at mile 7 (~1:25). I felt good during the run…no right ITB issues, nothing hollering at me to stop. And I felt like I could keep on going, a bit tired, but easy do one more mile…and that is another lesson that I have learned. Just because I feel like I can keep going, doesn’t mean I should…in fact, I shouldn’t. I need to go out with a plan and stick to it. I will always feel good when the muscles are warmed up and I am in the groove. But in this build up phase, I should not and cannot exceed my limits. Not yet, and maybe not ever. I knew that I had done 8 miles/1:40 min last week. So, 9 miles/1:50 min this week is it…no matter how good I feel. And so I stopped…even tho I felt really good. If my body allows, I will go out for an easy 4 tomorrow. If not, I will not. But I am grateful for the miles I was able to get in today. Interview questions were sent to those that requested, but perhaps Mr. Ribs will post them again for all??? You never know when you might be looking to make a change in jobs. Good runs and good day everyone.

Trails Rock!

I got pelted with what I thought were rocks! TX weather is crazy. Spareribs
              ^^^Proving yourself again to be the master of discretion and understatement. Later I'm off to a night-time 5k in Albany.....not much else to report, except that DD #1, who's 9, is exceptionally fond of her new ipod. Like, she won't take it off. Walt

Marathon Maniac #957

Pretty much 8 out of 10 of the men had their tight tights on...so I enjoyed the sculpted scenery in the gym. Not much modesty here! !
                Big grin

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

King of PhotoShop

Liz, I don't have those questions. I wrote a post with some good interview questions and advice some time ago, but have no record of it. Why not just post it here, or send it to me if you still have it? You have my email address. Also, a 2-3 mile recovery run tomorrow will be quite enough for you, not 4 as you suggested. And good for you to make a plan and stick to it. Easy does it. Spareribs

#artbydmcbride

18 miles! The rain is gone and the sun is shining!

Runners run

flatland mountaineer

Liz, I don't have those questions. I wrote a post with some good interview questions and advice some time ago, but have no record of it. Why not just post it here, or send it to me if you still have it? You have my email address.
                      Please post if its ok with Ribs and Liz. I would enjoy it and find it usefull. Thanks JC

The whole world said I shoulda used red but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green!!

Support Ethanol, drink the best, burn the rest.

Run for fun? What the hell kind of recreation is that?  quote from Back to the Fut III

Hi Folks, Haven't had much to report since I first checked in a couple of weeks ago. Rehabbing the foot is not fun, and not much fun to read about, either, no doubt. I've been on the elliptical since my last run on 11/23, working on calming down my Plantar Fasciitis and getting used to custom orthotics. Minor breakthrough (I hope) over the past few days - pain in the foot is subsiding (actually damn near gone) and I tested it on a 5 mile walk yesterday with the orthotics (moving over the ground instead of suspended in the air on a machine is quite different, as I'm sure this august group knows.) Came out of it unscathed, and I finished my 1 hour elliptical purgatory today with a 1/2 mile jog on the treadmill. No pain!! My point? Well, hopefully, I've turned a corner, and if things go well, I'm planning to try my first real (but very short) run on 1/1/09 to welcome the New Year. I'll let you all know how things go. Oh yeah, one other thing. Since I had a pain free workout, I had to go out and buy myself some new technical shirts, a compression base layer, and gloves. Hey, gotta have the motivation, right?? Big grin Big grin Run safe, everyone Jeff

"You can't have everything. Where would you put it?" - Steven Wright

wildchild

Carolyn

Welcome back, Roy and Woody! A few days ago I set my Garmin on the porch to get a signal while I tied my shoes, and Tazzie went over and sniffed it - made me think of Woody bringing you your Garmin! We've missed you starting off our daily threads. Meg, where do you live? 76 degrees tomorrow? Shocked Tom, not a good idea to run in lightning! I bet it helped you pick up the pace on the way home! Nono, glad your mom made it for the holidays, and sorry to hear your MIL is such trouble but glad she's gone! Spareribs, that sure sounds like strange weather - hot and cold and windy and sunny and hailing? It sounds like everyone's been having crazy weather. Congrats on the 3rd 30 mile week! Holly, nice 20 miler! And in a skirt and tee! Way to get it done. Liz, I'm so happy to hear you got out for a successful 9 miler! It's 8F with howling winds today, so I'm gonna have to head to the rec center again. Sad I'd like to follow Mariposai's example and run to the rec center, since it's only 2 miles away. But I'm not that hardy. I've done it a couple of times, but I have to bundle up so much to run there, then strip down to shorts and tank top to run on the indoor track, then put on all the layers of sweaty clothes over my other sweaty clothes and head back out into the cold. Not fun. Not sure how to do it without carrying extra dry clothes, which I don't want to run with. The other problem (yeah, I'm whining) is that if I run from here, the dogs would go crazy at being left behind. Happy runs and non-runs, all!

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Marathon Maniac #957

I felt good during the run…no right ITB issues, nothing hollering at me to stop. And I felt like I could keep on going, a bit tired, but easy do one more mile…and that is another lesson that I have learned. Just because I feel like I can keep going, doesn’t mean I should…in fact, I shouldn’t. I need to go out with a plan and stick to it. I will always feel good when the muscles are warmed up and I am in the groove. But in this build up phase, I should not and cannot exceed my limits.
                            This is another true gem of injury-recovery wisdom. Thank you for putting it so well! JVol44 - yes, keep us posted, and I hope your New Year's run goes well.

spacityrunner

Liz, I don't have those questions. I wrote a post with some good interview questions and advice some time ago, but have no record of it. Why not just post it here, or send it to me if you still have it? You have my email address. Also, a 2-3 mile recovery run tomorrow will be quite enough for you, not 4 as you suggested. And good for you to make a plan and stick to it. Easy does it. Spareribs
                              Posted and I will send you a copy.... and thanks for the feedback on my recovery run... I will listen....for once!

Trails Rock!

3.25 miles in the slush...9:36 pace...we were going to go longer,but there was a lake in the middle of the road and 4 feet of snow on either side...so we ran back for breakfast... WooHoo Holly-20 miles...WOW!!!
                                Looking for a place to Happen, making stops along the way - The Hip