Masters Running

Oh Monday Morning You Gave Me No Warning of What Was to Be Runs (Read 685 times)

A little shout-out to the Mamas and the Papas this morning after running in 26° temps at 4:30. Who took the spring weather? I sure wish they'd bring it back!

Congratulations to Maniac Nono, Spareribs, Kevin and all our other great racers. You guys are an inspiration to us all.

Steve, sounds like you had a lot of issues on your vacation. I hope at least the weather was kind. It's nice to have you back.

Mary - how's the new family this morning? Especially, little Wilson the volleyball. Can you post some more pictures soon?

5.5 miles at a 9:19 pace this morning. I wasn't dressed for the temperature and froze my a#$ off. My heal is still bothering me. Icing seems to help. I'm not sure if the problem is broken down shoes or the start of something more serious. I've never had any problems with my feet before. It's the inner part of my heal just near the arch. Any advice anyone? I did have 41 miles last week, which is pretty intense for me.

OK, be honest. How many had the teams playing in the "Final Four" in their pool? I lost all of 'em except Duke. Now I'm cheering for the underdogs. Go Butler!

Can't trust that day.
      Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM

Yeah, my run started out and I had no idea "What Was To Be".

5.5 miles easy with the final mile MUCH faster than I had intended, as I could hear the rains a-coming.  Got done Just in time.  Torrential rains out there now.  Water standing everywhere.  At least everyone was driving sanely on the highways this morning.  It coulda gotten ugly in a hurry.

I hope Denise's flight isn't affected.

Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

PBJ

Marathon Iowa 2014

No run this morning - just lifting, step (20 mins) and spin.

Yesterday, I went about 27 miles in about 4 hours on the airline trail.  My training philosophy is that those miles beyond 20 are so much more important than the first 20.  That being said, I got pretty tired at mile 24, and actually consumed a vanilla gu (was hoping not to have to do that).  Liquid consumption during the run was about 12 ounces of power zero.  It helped that it was cloudy, about 45 degrees, with slight wind gusts.  Perfect running weather.  That last mile was still tough though.

Tramps

I’ve got some catching up to do but it looks like it was an excellent weekend for racers.  Congratulations, especially, to:

Ribs for his first full marathon since surgery;

Karin for an awesome race! Wow.

Nono for joining the ranks of the maniacs.

PBJ—yowsa; that’s a long training run!  What kind of pace do you shoot for on that?

DW had a successful first-ever sprint tri—and we had a fun weekend getaway.  Like a first marathon, this one was about getting the basic experience and learning the routine.  She was well-prepared, had everything she needed for the blustery and cold weather, handled the transitions well, and had a solid day.  She was held back a bit by the format of the event.  The swim portion was shorter than usual (300M) in a pool and start seeding was based on estimated finish times.  She got stuck behind some slower swimmers and passing was difficult so she wasn’t able to take advantage of her strongest event.  She should be able to improve her time in future events with full-length open water swimming (which she is good at).  The advantage of this format is that the bike course was not crowded so she got some much-needed experience in a less-chaotic environment.  It was fun to watch and cheer but I have no interest in joining up.  Give me the simplicity of running, any day!

The only glitch in the weekend was that I somehow forgot to pack running socks—which I didn’t discover until Sunday morning when I got ready to go out.  Oops.  I tried running in ordinary cotton sweat socks and managed only about 7 miles—in a gorgeous new park across the street from our hotel--before serious hot spots brought my run to a halt at about half the distance I’d hoped for.

Another 7.7 this morning in the darkness, fog, and steady rain; mostly easy, a few MP miles thrown in, overall 8:15 pace.

Be safe. Be kind.

Morning, gang!

Jlynne - sorry to hear the heel is still being bad - do you think the pain is in the bone, or could it be PF?  It wouldn't hurt to try a new pair of shoes.

SteveP - prayers on the way for DW's family - sounds like the vacation runs were spectacular.  I'll bet Tag doesn't even miss the dangley things.

Congrats to all of the weekend marathoners!!

Leslie - your description sounds exactly like my agility training partner - she doesn't ever stop talking (mostly about herself) on our 4hour commute on Tuesday nights.  I'm a quiet person anyway, but I do like to say something once in awhile.  I've pretty much given up and am trying to learn to tune her out. 

PBJ - wow - 27 miles on the Airline trail is awesome!  Which trailhead do you use?

Mary - Wilson is adorable - more pics, please!!

6 walk/run miles on the TM @ 11:36 and 136 AHR.

I made a roast in the Dutch oven last night.  When it was done I put the lid next to the sink, got the rest of the meal ready and started to pick up the lid to clean it.  I grabbed it, heard a sizzle and it took me a second or two to realize that it was my hand that was sizzling.  Cast iron holds heat for quite awhile as DH demonstrated by dripping water on it and seeing it vaporize on contact.  I have a nice "M" branded on my palm. 

Good runs all!  Stay dry out there - we're supposed to get 2 months worth of rain in the next couple of days.

Sue Running is a mental sport...and we're all insane! Anonymous

A light recovery run yesterday, 3 miles at 10:01 pace.Weights this morning, squats, bench press, deadlifts, barbell curls and triceps pull downs. Felt great this morning. Getting to bed at 8p last night certainly helped. Good energy this am.

Bill, what is with the Biblical weather? Here in greater Boston, we're now on our third Nor'Easter in less than 3 weeks. It's a weekly occurrence. Another 3-6" of rain on tap for today through Wednesday. That's on top of 2-4" last week and 10" the weekend before that. Entire towns near rivers, ponds and streams are flooded. Still can't run in Minuteman National park because it's washed out. When I run, I have to hop several long gutters, PVC pipes and hoses coming out of peoples' basements. Lowe's and Home Depot are out of shop vacs. It's just crazy. We've been fortunate to only get a little water in our basement during the 10" storm that we just had to wet vac. One owner down the hill from me placed a "For Sale by Owner" sign on his front lawn. He's been pumping for 3 weeks. Hopefully this pattern breaks soon.

April showers bring May flowers. What do March monsoons bring?

King of PhotoShop

Well, I see that my idol Nono is at it again!  Congrats to you.  Thought of you often yesterday.

No, my 4:33 was way slower than my predicted 4:10 but I am just fine with it, as I had no way to know what I would do.  I began to slow badly around 18 or so and it got way worse. I didn't have to walk but my stride just shortened and slowed and I just kept putting one foot down after another until I was done.

Tim (wa5yom) and his club did an unbelievable job in organizing this first ever race. I am so happy for him and his Club.  As he put it, "this was designed to be a race put on by runners and we had high expectations for doing everything right," and they sure did.

My goal still remains sub 4:00 this year, and of course I am sure I can run my next one way faster than yesterday.  Perhaps I got seduced into too fast a pace early in the race with the downhills and the tail wind.  It is a mysterious distance, the marathon.  Thank you all.  Spareribs

Slo

WOW !

What an awesome weekend for the Master Group....and Spouses included.

Thanks for your DW's RR report Tramps.

I spent yesterday with my Dad and BIL building a very large piece of play ground equipment for my four nieces. A windy but a fun and interesting day.......with some great food !

Managed a 4 mile recovery run last night.  It'll be a RAW today.

PBJ

Marathon Iowa 2014

Morning, gang!

PBJ - wow - 27 miles on the Airline trail is awesome!  Which trailhead do you use?

Sue - I started at my house in Hebron.  I went about 3 miles to get to the route 85 lumber entrance.  Then I rant to mile marker zero (the East Hampton entrance), and back.  It's the flattest run around Hebron that I know.  The only unavoidable puddles were at the mile 5 marker.  Not so this morning!

RCG

Rose Colored Glasses

No run yet for me but, I wanted to say "Hooray" for Ribs' return to the marathon. What a great attitude! I'd like to kick him in the shins. I mean, I am so happy for his return to this distance.<o:p>

<o:p> </oTongue>

Karin. I always enjoy reading about your races. I can't help but smile.  And I know, if I would have been watching your race, I would've been elbowing the folks around me and saying, "I know her!".<o:p>

Steve, I am happy that you went South and found the sun and beautiful scenery. but, wow, what a time DW had!  Is she feeling better?<o:p>

Sarge, nope, no Sgt. Shultz. but did I mention Sergeant Carter? (Gomer says, "Hey")<o:p>

MTA: Why are those emoticons here?  I didn't put them there.

"Anytime you see the word "inflation" in the news, replace it with "record-breaking corporate profits" and you'll get what's happening."

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

.....Then I rant to mile marker zero (the East Hampton entrance), and back.  ...

I want to know who or what you would rant about for that long   And do people go out of their way to avoid you when you go by?

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Mariposai

Hi gorgeous swamp runner. Love your lively posts here.

Ribs, ohhhhhhh WISEONE, you are so right, the marathon distance is a mysterious dame. We are all so excited for you!. And the Saint is, just simply the perfect saint for following you around as your water crew.

Karin, aka my real life Deena Kastor, you amaze me with your humble spirit! What a great race you had yesterday.

Nada for me this morning, but I will RAW this afternoon. I am furious with the group of graduating parents who decided to change the Baccalaureate (my ds#2 is graduating this year)  for Sunday the 6th of June instead of the 8th as it was originally planed...so I have to kiss Newport Marathon good-bye for this year .

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Marathon Maniac #957

Quick fly-by on a busy moring...

Wow – another amazing weekend of running – a couple special mentions – Stumpy (meeting his goals), PDR (super speedy LR!), CNYrunner (1st Masters Woman in HM!), Henry and Marg (2nd and 3rd AG wins!), Nono (Maniac!), Mariposai (excellent speedy extra-LR!), PBJ (27 miles!), Spareribs (marathon!), and the usual excellent LRs by Perch and WRFB, plus of course all the rest of you that I don’t have time to mention but who I read about and cheer for on a daily basis....

SteveP – sounds like a lovely vacation for you, but tough for the family members....

Erika – yay for 48°!  Hope you get more of that.

Tramps – congrats to your DW on her first Tri!

{{{Sue’s hand}}}  {{{Jlynne’s heel}}}

2.6 recovery-paced miles (11:16 ave) in a light drizzle, followed by some core work.  I’m hoping to get in some upper body exercises tonight.

Happy Monday!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Holly, I forgot to mention earlier, that was an EXCELLENT fast finish LR you did this weekend.  Nice!

Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong