Masters Running

Weekly Newbies - all runners welcome - good times here (Read 1591 times)

Linda, hope things improve for him!!! Did you start out at the very beginning?

Bumping us up. 10 pages was getting a little too much.

3.5 miles yesterday. Shin splints at first. But they went away. No hamstring pain. I wrote another poem but need to finish it first before I post it. My poetry is here and there. I need a good writing instructor.

Laurie

Shamrock marathon March 2016. Burlington full or relay if I can find a partner May 2016. Wine and Dine half Nov. And a tri or two thrown in just for the hell of it.

Rindaroo

Laurie - yes I started at the beginning, being a good girl (well in that respect anyway)   Cool on the poem, why don't you take a class?  it really helped me.    Good news on no pain Smile

Linda, more prayers for him. Where do you find a class/? I am glad you started at day one. It does ramp up fast.

Hello newbies!!

Laurie () The celtics lost. Its raining. My weekend backpacking trip was canceled but I am happy.

Shamrock marathon March 2016. Burlington full or relay if I can find a partner May 2016. Wine and Dine half Nov. And a tri or two thrown in just for the hell of it.

HappyFeat

Is this for "new to the group" or "new to running"??

I'm new to the group today. Hi!

Feel like I'm "new to running" today since I've ignored all the lessons learned from decades of running and am practically sidelined with trigger points in just about all of my right lower leg hobbling me from pursuing my game plan of 30 MPW. Yes I was stupid and jumped up my mileage 25% last month and took NO rest days for a few weeks. I'm such an idiot....still think I can run like I'm 30 years old!  Grrrr.   Got a book from the library yesterday called "Running After 50" written not for new runners, but ones who have been running a long time and how or what to adjust as time goes on.  Seems like he's talking right to me. 

Don't make excuses for why you can't get it done. 

Focus on all the reasons why you must make it happen.

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Yes.  and Welcome either way.

It probably started as newbie runners, but we do have newbies to the group, too.  Happy to have you join in.  We also suggest that you poke your head into the dailies and introduce yourself there, too.  great bunch of folks with lots of great experience.  very friendly and supportive.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

dg.

hmmm... stumpy.   you seem vaguely familiar.  .   how are you?

welcome HappyFeat!    I agree with Kevin.   

I've only been running for about 3 years, but I've got stupid & idiot down pat.   Happy to see I'm in good company!  Smile

Would love to hear about more of your experiences.     What are you doing about your right leg?  

more to catch up on but it's unbelievably nice outside.  (sorry Laurie!)   so for now, just hi to everyone else.

Rindaroo

Laurie - I took a class at the local 4 year college, it was community ed type class give by a Creative Writing teacher at the college.

Welcome HappyFeat! 

Hey there Kevin & Debbie!!  lol Debbie, we might all have that down pat.

I finished week 1 of the running program today Smile  feeling good, think I'll go for a run outside tomorrow (if its not too cold... you know wimpy former Southern Californian..)

HappyFeat

What are you doing about your right leg?  

Well, DG, first I decided not to run for 2 days in a row and ice frequently. The third day I ran 4 miles - and should NOT have. Since my problem wasn't magically solved, I finally consulted The Trigger Point Therapy Workbook - which I highly recommend. Using the book and my fingers, I discovered that I have active trigger points in really all my right lower leg muscles which is causing really bad achilles tightness and pain, ankle pain, and arch pain. So today I massaged really well, walked 3 miles to warm up, then tried to run 2 miles.  The first mile was OK, but the ankle pain was coming on at the end of it. By 1 1/2 miles, the achilles was starting to lock up and I walked most of the last quarter-mile home. With more massage and icing, I hope to have a better luck tomorrow.Thanks for asking.

Rindaroo

4 miles today - 2 mile run, 2 mile walk back home.  was hoping for a little more running, but petered out on the hills.. turned out i ran it a little faster, uh yeah that might make a difference. Big grin

LInda, I thought you were on the program. Or did you just build 2 miles in? I did that here and there. Just dont be tempted to run in those walk places.

Deb, the weather was amazing here too!!! I went outside in a t shirt today. How nice. Hows your recovery doing?

Kevin, hello hello. The dailys are hard to keep up with. So many posts.I have lost track of how your running is coming along.

Happy, we can sure use more of that around here. Welcome. Nothing magically heals itself although I have wished for that many times. Remember we may be masters but baby steps is what we need to take now. Little at a time.

3.53 miles today. Shin splints at first. Went away. Then right hamstring hurt on the final hill. That went away. Now my right hip is aching. It will be gone by tomorrow.

aaahhh. If I could just run pain free. Well I should be happy I can run at all! Thank God!

Laurie

Rindaroo

Laurie - actually I'm using the program for the treadmill, because I'm having trouble on it.  Outside running has been okay.
                        lswife

I'm still hanging around here and will start running tomorrow - will probably do w3 of C25K. I've run maybe three weeks since the Labor Day 5K and have noticed I'm getting stiff and my knees/hips hurt.

A lot of things happening now - MIL in nursing home, thought life would settle down - nope, it only became busier with seeing her/encouraging her to eat/ etc. DD is still fighting pneumonia - 2nd round of antibiotics - she's not up to strength yet and with a 3-year-old and 7-month old, she can't rest as much as the dr wants - her husband will be out of town on business 3 days this week so I'm going down to stay with and help her. 

My MIL's health problems are teaching me to stay active, not to count ambling around Wal-Mart shopping as exercise and not to consider dr's instructions as optional. I'm trying to eat low-carb much more regularly to bring blood sugar down - carb foods (and stress) raise blood sugar too high. Grrrr. And this is the holiday season: Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Year's, Superbowl - all known for delicious foods. If you go to any carry-ins, you can bring your specialty but also include carrot sticks, other fresh veggies, and cheese cubes for the diabetics who are trying to eat low carb. 

I"m not complaining or griping - just realizing life can come in the way of running regularly. And, yeah, I can also too easily make excuses not to run on days when I do have time.

L's, hugs and prayers! I reiterate that when life gets tough go run. You need it now more than ever. Even if its a 20 min run out your front door. I will reset your mind and set you up for the day. Yoga will help too.

Hello and strong runs to all.

2000 yds at the Y pool today. First swim in over 2 months. I miss it. Felt strong and still have my form (albeit slow) down.

Laurie

3.5 miles around the res today. Shin splints and hamstring soreness. Unmotivated. Slow. Frustrated.

Laurie

HappyFeat

3.5 miles around the res today. Shin splints and hamstring soreness. Unmotivated. Slow. Frustrated.

Laurie

Just time for a quick post...at work...not supposed to be online

Laurie - remember that ice is your best friend. Ice those shins! Better yet, stick your leg into a bucket of ice water for as long as you can stand it.  I believe ice is the best healer of shinsplints  (if your shoes are good, of course.)

More later.