Masters Running

Weekly Newbies - all runners welcome - good times here (Read 1591 times)

dg.

yea Linda! 

Hi!    Tha't's all for now, sorry I've been absent too.

Happyfeat, belatead congratulations on your 12K!   

Rindaroo

Ran 2 miles this morning again Smile  It felt better than Tuesday!  Most I've run in a week in.. uh..  quite awhile.

Debbie - Hi & thanks Smile  I'm stepping along...

Laurie - thanks for your support always!  it helps.

HappyFeat

Checking in - can't believe it's almost Friday already! I'm not running tonight because I'm trying something new - acupuncture for my sciatica - and had a treatment today. No magic yet, but I was told that it usually takes 3 times before you know if it's going to work.  Went on my first hike of the season last Sunday, 4 miles up and 4 miles back down. Will post a couple pics of the destination lake half covered with snow and the waterfall en route to lake. It was very cloudy day and we got a bit of rain - the teeny tiniest raindrops I've ever experienced. Don't they call that "a soft rain"??  My lower legs were sore the day after, so I took a Rest Day. Ran 5 miles each of the next 2 nights - very slowly - low back and sciatica flared up.  Funny that running doesn't make it any worse. Driving and sitting are the absolute worst aggravators.

Don't make excuses for why you can't get it done. 

Focus on all the reasons why you must make it happen.

Beautiful pics. Hope the acupuncture works. Keep the backpack light.

Hows everyone else?

Laurie (runs like a slug)

Shamrock marathon March 2016. Burlington full or relay if I can find a partner May 2016. Wine and Dine half Nov. And a tri or two thrown in just for the hell of it.

Rindaroo

Gorgeous pics!!!!

Laurie - well running like a slug is still running Big grin

I ran yesterday outside 2 miles..  didn't take the Garmin, just ran what felt good - have no idea how fast or slow.. and usually I walk the whole way back 1 1/2 miles (its increase in elevation up to my house, both up & down  hills), but I ran for a couple of minutes 2 different times  on the way back.  Smile   Almost thinking if I just continue that, it would be cool to see the progress, and maybe someday I can run all the way up!  Because right now, I'm not concerned about mileage, speed, but just running.  For the fun & enjoyment of it, go figure!!   So that makes 3 times this week, cool Smile

HappyFeat

Yay for Linda! running for fun and enjoyment That's the heart of it, isn't it? Set all the rest aside. What I love most about running is the pleasure of feeling free. Sometimes the watch and the goals and the training get in the way of that and you just have to set that all aside to get back in touch with why you're a runner at heart. 

Laurie, I second what Linda said "running like a slug is still running!" I say focus on your emotional state, not your speed.  (Besides I read somewhere that the slower you run, the more fat you burn. Don't know if it's true, but I like the sound of that when I'm having an exceptionally slow day.)

Deb, I've tried on about a billion pairs of compression shorts now that don't (compress, that is) - all in a size small which fit, except for the CW-X which had lots of low back and hip compression, but was way too small. So I reordered in a medium and am eager to try them tomorrow. Not running tonight since second acutx was today.  My second choice would be the UnderArmour 4-inch Ultra compression short and I might still get those because they felt so wonderful on; though they're not "ultra" compared to the CW-X.  I can hardly believe I'm contemplating wearing SPANDEX! Eeek! Do we really do this at our age?

Rindaroo

Happy Feat - very well said  Smile 

Funny I'm in just enjoying it mode, doing whatever it is & I keep increasing mileage just because it feels good.  Think there might be a lesson in that.  Anyway, I ran 3 miles on the treadmill this morning & it felt great!!

Yeah I do spandex too but I am at the point where I really dont care what I look like when I run. Let us know which brand you like.

Linda, I like the running for pure enjoyment idea too. Its the way to go. Takes the pressure off. Hows it going?

3.5 today. First non stop or non walk run post injury. No nausea either. Maybe I am on my way back.

Laurie

Shamrock marathon March 2016. Burlington full or relay if I can find a partner May 2016. Wine and Dine half Nov. And a tri or two thrown in just for the hell of it.

HappyFeat

Laurie, been wondering what's the status of your labyrinth??

Rindaroo

Laurie -  I'm doing good Smile  Made some personal progress, and I think that is why the running for enjoyment thing happened.   Its so much easier to get up in the morning when its something I want to do, instead of "should" do.  Well I'm a little bit of a rebel...  maybe that's why.  Big grin   My foot has been bothering me some, starting to wonder if I need to strengthen the ankle..  not sure..

Linda, if you tell yourself you 'should' do something then you build a resistance to it. But I am new to this thinking. Working on less resistance. I am doing better too slowly. Try taping and strengthening.

My labyrinth is on hold. Waiting for $ for the stones and chips. I had a $700 brake job and a $355 vet bill this month. So stone and wood chip wait.

Hows everyone doing?

3.5 mile run pain free. Followed by 2 three mile runs pain free.

Laurie

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Laurie--that sounds really positive.  Sure hope it continues unabated.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Rindaroo

2 1/2 miles on the treadmill this morning.  Okay I guess I need to look at those ankle strengthening exercises....

"should" is bad for me.. a good excuse to beat yourself up when you don't do whatever it is..  running or anything else in life.  I'm concentrating on the enjoying Smile

dg.

LInda I'm so happy that you're enjoying!   Smile     Ok, try these, when you think you might enjoy them.   http://www.sportsinjurybulletin.com/archive/proprioceptive-training.htm

HappyFeat I can't imagine the smalls being too small for you!  How were the mediums?   yep, at our age.   spandex.   ;-)     thanks for the pictures, they're beautiful.

Laurie I'm glad you're getting better.  yippee pain free runs!    reviewing the thread just briefly... you made me laugh, running like a slug.  trying to picture a slug running. 

Frances, how is your build up coming along?  what method did you decide on?  I wasn't sure what to suggest.  

Roberta if you are looking in, hi.   how are you?

Mike, how about you?

I'm doing ok, gradual progress, I think.    still some surgery recovery, it comes back in ways that surprise me sometimes but it's ok.  makes me take things slowly.   I ran (not raced) a 10K last weekend, & am able to keep up with the marathon training plan, although it's harder than I'd like.   Just need to be patient.  Linda you would be very pleased  (and surprised)  at how I'm backing off when I need to!!   : )

4.75 miles this morning, with a few short hill sprints.

HappyFeat

dg: just a fly by reply  since I should be changing clothes to go running About the CW-X shorts and their sizing - I know! The small should have fit, but it was too short from the waist to the crotch and when I tried them on they were extremely uncomfortable "there." Now I have the mediums and the length is good, but I admit the waist is a shade loose and so is the leg opening. I suspect I'm not getting the compression/back support I would get if they were smaller. I also think they feel a little looser all over since I've run in them several times. I've applied a squiggly line of PermaTex to the legs, so they don't ride up (anymore) - that stuff works!  Maybe I should have tried to wear the smalls lower on my hips, but then I wouldn't be getting the low back support I was looking for. I'm still working up my nerve to wear them in public without baggy shorts overtop. but I do love how they make my saddlebags disappear!