Masters Running

Newbies - the new thread (Read 905 times)

Was going to make it a rest day, but I could use some stretching and core work, so I'm going to use that as my excuse to watch the "big announcement" on Jon & Kate - it's like watching a car crash - can't stand to watch it, but can't turn away.  Will probably finish my work out to iTunes, though.

Tomorrow is the last day with the kiddos - finally! 

Eliz

flomotioncoaching.com

Rindaroo

Walked at lunch today super duper slow - & used the inhaler before & after.  I think breathing was a little better in the afternoon... resting, and trying not to walk around too much.  These bronchial shutdowns are no fun at all.

Thanks Debbie..  I think I saw the treatment on that sinus tarsi syndrome was wobble board & strengthening the ankle.  I forgot about that.  I will have to try some of these.   Would love to see you on Facebook.. Big grin

Beginner all over again

Same speed and distance increases risk for overuse injuries. 

Thanks for the explanations of those running types.

I have a question though.

Can you see my log?

Do you think that is doing the same pace and same pace ?

I'm just asking because I feel as if I am doing different distances and different paces already.  I have a report  in my Reports section called "Day Distance 52 weeks." Is that visible to you?  Do you think that is enough variation?

They are color coded for more walking, less walking, more jogging, faster pace, etc.  Does the walking every minute or less count for varying pace, as far as the "pounding" issue?

Also, keeping in mind I am probably jogging only 40 seconds in a row at any one time, I'm not sure exactly what speed, sprinting, and hill drills would look like at this point.  I am also going out only 3 times per week.  Would the sprints and hills be just one day per week? Every other week?  I'm not trying to be difficult here. But the generalizations don't mean much in practice to me without some specific examples of duration, distance, incline, etc.

I can see myself on an incline/hill doing 10 paces and then having to walk. And right now, I've become rather efficient at walking so I don't really want to be walking more than I already am.   I'm trying to actually get more sustained seconds doing the Running Motion.

Do your beginners do speed, hills, tempo, fartlek, etc., from the beginning and remain uninjured?

I'm so curious about this, because I thought I had read a lot about holding off on speed, hills, tempo, fartlek until much later, in order to avoid injury.  So your suggestions about doing speed hills tempo fartlek at my six weeks into my 2nd attempt at running uninjured (first six weeks resulted in injury, so I started over at am the 2nd 6 week mark now) piques my curiosity.

And everyone:  where all do you run?  I'm sitting here thinking about where to run so that I run different routes.

I don't run on concrete or asphalt.

Do you all have that many large parks to choose from?

Or running the same 3 different paths each week would constitute enough variation?

I feel pretty limited in available path(s) but maybe I'm just resticting my creativity here.

..sigh...what to do, what to do.

I'm trying to really pay attention, as 6 weeks is about my Record as far as remaining uninjured here.

I am tempted to watch my HR more and slow down, quite frankly, which would eliminate most of the sprinting, hills, and tempo ideas.  This is another reason why I"m so curious about the speed/hills suggestions

Rindaroo

Frances - just keep on going.  Don't worry about all that fancy stuff for awhile. You need to build a base of running first.  There are some programs out there that start at 1-2 minutes run walk, and end at running 30 minutes straight.  So, I'd say first work up to that, then do one of those programs.  They worked well for me & I could only run 30 seconds at a time when I first started.  Eventually I got up to running 6 miles at a time... before my bronchials had some major issues.  I'm just trying to get well enough so I can start over at the beginning again.

Oh & I do run on asphalt, but not concrete.  Asphalt is a little more giving..  or a highschool dirt track?  Grass always scares me.. lol.. like I might step in a hole & twist my ankle.

Feeling a little bit better this morning, trying to remember to walk slower than slow (like a turtle), but walk a little to get the bronchials to remember they are suppose to be working.

CYL!

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Frances--what Linda said.  I looked at your log and between the running and walking, it looks like you're getting a decent variety of pace and distance.  you don't need a huge differential at your level.  that will come with increased base and experience. 

The one thing I would suggest is that you use at least one of your routes that's not completely flat.  I'm not talking monstrous hills, just some variation in elevation.  the up and down works the quads and hamstrings each a little differently.  for more balanced development.  when I was starting I did all my runs around our lake, which has 20' of elevation change at the most.  The first time I ran up in Maine (which is decidedly NOT flat), the wonderful fitness that I thought I had was nowhere to be found.  after a couple of weeks on the hills, I was much happier.  I also have a hilly run a little closer to home that I'm dying to get back on, but I'm still working on building my base back, too.

Hang in there--I hope we're not confusing you TOO much

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Beginner all over again

not talking monstrous hills, just some variation in elevation.  the up and down works the quads and hamstrings 

Thank you

:-)

What do you think about these Garmin results?

I thought my route was relatively flat, but I get these readings in quarter-miles

Ascent--Descent

86    43

70    50

96    108

109    115

62    116

67    74

92    49

110    92

113    105

100    144

114    57

70    78

91    104

35    61

That could just be intrument error?  Does this seem pretty flat to you?

I wouldn't think there is more than 10 feet up/down along the entire route, other than general feelings of going up or down on what looks flat to the eye.  :-)

There are a couple little hills' (mounds?)  I avoid. I suppose I could walk up and down them. 

If it feels "hard"  I'll know I'm using different muscles.  :-)

As an aside, I went out "a little fast" yesterday just "for fun" and I'm Sore today.  I won't be doing that again for a few weeks ! !.    I'm  a pain wimp, that's for sure.

Thanks everyone!  I think I got a little plan for my next few weeks. 

dg.

Linda,  I'm glad you're feeling a little better but how frustrating.     Yep, that one article did suggest the wobble board but I think that the exercises in those links might be a better place to start than the wobble board.  Same idea, but you have more control over it..  Especially with the very first one (exercise).  I do that at work.  (when I need to stay awake Wink )    I'd worry a little that you could have a sudden jerk or tilt on the wobble board that might backfire.    Then when they're more stable you could add it.  I hope your bronchials clear up quickly.   OKokok... maybe I'll pop over there.  but not today. 

Kevin,,,, I'm still confused.   Smile

Teresa, thanks.  me too!   At least, if I was going to pick one thing it would let me do, it would be running, so I won't complain!    So sorry about all the rain!!

Frances, what Linda & Kevin said.     Galloway has trained a lot more runners than we have, (I'm still working on figuring out how to train myself) so I think you're smart to follow your plan.  I've never seen all the things you were mentioning recommended for beginners.  A little variety, sure.  3 routes is good!  It might be good to reverse directions once in a while, if that's an option.  Will mix things up a little, & switch the angle if the path is canted, things like that.    ... just saw that you posted.  I don't have a Garmin so can't comment on that part.  Maybe once in a while try those mounds... but not in the same week you go out a little fast!  I remember doing that too... first time I was getting my dog away from another one.  it was so much fun.   Anyway, I'm glad you have a plan for the next couple of weeks.   I forget... are you stretching?   Just a simple calf stretch after running seems to keep my shin splints at bay.   They started coming back when I decided I was too busy to stretch. 

4.6 miles by the river this morning (I need more paths!)  still slow but it's still going better than it has lately.  I think about a 10:23 pace.  Very deliberately taking it easy.  No trips, no falls, no geese attacks.  ;D

stumpy77

Trails are hard!