Masters Running

Newbies - the new thread (Read 905 times)

Hey, Kevin - I saw a boat on the bay today called the "Stumpy IV!"

Eliz

flomotioncoaching.com

dg.

Linda it was nice to talk to you too.  :-).  How are you doing?  I hope you're not having much pain.  Just remember....   well, you know.   Work.  sigh.  

I hope everybody is doing well.   Kevin, when is your doctor appt?     I'm doing pretty good, 10 this morning, not easy, but doable,  & I went slowly.  I got through week 9 without much trouble.  Monday is a rest day, & Tuesday back to 6 miles.   Should be just fine.  cross your fingers!

Laurie, did you eat all of Kevin's cake?  I was trying to think of something else to post on your BD thread, but he found the perfect one...   I thought about something airplane related, but then thinking about how work's been I thought maybe that wouldn't be the best choice.

Mike.... a date?   Did you?  & if so how did it go?   How are your new shoes, how is your foot?

Eliz, how are you liking Higdon's plan?

Me

A date.  Yes.  It was today.  We went hiking.  I thought things went very well.  She was the sales clerk at Fleet Feet that helped me with my shoes.  The "what do I do next" is the part that I always seem to struggle with.  Hmmm.
        stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Eliz--makes me wonder what happened to Stumpy I to III     Maybe a fellow forestry school grad, but I think most of us couldn't afford much of a boat.

Mike--I guess I missed the announcement of the date, but glad to see you're taking advantage of your opportunities.  never underestimate the power of running as a common denominator.

Linda--Hope everything comes out OK (literally AND figuratively)  doesn't sound like any fun at all, but good to hear several success stories.

Deb--It's this Wednesday.  hope there will be some explanations and I need to ask about how much more I can push things.  My HRM has still not settled down.  think I'll speak with Mr Garmin tomorrow and see if I might get one that works.  Today it about 40 for the 1st mile or so, then went to 150-160 (I stopped to check my pulse since it was so far up--it wasn't real) and then the last mile it seemed to work fine.  Frustrating.

3.1 again this morning.  what was that advise I was giving Frances about variety?  

happy end of the 4th to all.  hope it was fun and safe.  We actually got some nice weather for a change.  Max the dog is VERY happy it's over--doesn't do loud noises well at all.

Kevin

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Linda, Glad youre home. When is surgery? I dont understand...why put it off for work?That would be so awesome if this clears up your breathing problems too.

Deb, youre doing great. 10 miles again! You'll be ready for a marathon in no time. Airplanes are always good, even though I hate my job. I still love aviation.

Mike, "The "what do I do next" is the part that I always seem to struggle with". Kayaking of course. What else?!

I started up a kayakers meetup group. So far we have 28 members and had our first trip last week. Already met a bunch of cool people. Its so nice to have sports that dont use legs as a fill in.

Sitting on a heating pad again today. Last 3 days have been bad. I can actually feel the tear. Its a sharp pain when I bend at the hip. Back to swimming and upper body stuff only. One step forward, two steps back. I have a tri team set up for the Hartford Womens tri. Its me, daughter Kim and friend Patti (last tri partner).

Laurie

Shamrock marathon March 2016. Burlington full or relay if I can find a partner May 2016. Wine and Dine half Nov. And a tri or two thrown in just for the hell of it.

Me

Laurie, I think the next step will be dinner.  Although, Her son is a triathlete that just turned pro and he may be racing in Chattanooga this weekend.  So, I may be watching him race as well.
              dg.

Mike, that makes me happy.   I'll be nervous for you too, if that helps any.   I like Laurie's kayak idea next.  

Kevin, you have a list, yes?  Please let us know what they say.   Very best of luck.   grr about your Garmin. 

ha, I was thinking about the variety thing the other day.   I am varying mileage & pace a little, but am running the same route way too often.  although, it's a nice one.

Thanks Laurie!  i hope so.   a slow build up but I hope it continues.   6 today went pretty well.   I'm so sorry about your leg.  Did you ever find any one that does those shots?   When is your tri?  cool about the kayak group.

Linda,  how are you?

Mrwhite.   Hum.  I like the kayak idea too.   Keep doing the activities, then you will have lots of things to talk about when it will be a natural thing to go to dinner.  Just the 'ol Mama's opinion. 

Did a good run at my city park yesterday.  I'm increasing the interval times gradually, and having good luck.  Also learning to use the heart rate monitor.  Today I'm off except core exercises.   Woods Lady

Hi Woods Lady and welcome to the newbies.

Linda, anyword? Howre you feeling?

40 mins of swim class last night. I got the freestyle and breaststroke down. Backstroke is a struggle. Was tired and winded after a few laps. Just not a good swim day.

I think I might try a lake swim today if I have energy. The leg is at an all time low. Pain all the way down the side and up into my hip. I dont even know what I did to aggravate it. I think its back to PT for me.

Deb, the last ortho said he didnt like the shots and was treating a few patients who have injuries due to too many shots.

Laurie

Shamrock marathon March 2016. Burlington full or relay if I can find a partner May 2016. Wine and Dine half Nov. And a tri or two thrown in just for the hell of it.

Rindaroo

Hey all -

Slowly getting better each day, but its really slow...  I thought I'd be better by now.  Having trouble walking around & sitting up straight for too long..  so told work if I'm doing anything it has to be from home, so I can work on a laptop while leaning back..  So, I did some work yesterday that way.  Should be hearing from, or I will be calling the surgeon's office today.  I did do my labs on Monday as the surgeon told me to.  I'm guessing my liver numbers must be okay or I would have heard something already.

Laurie - Okay, so not many people understand this...  it is 2nd quarter close for the financials this week, it is a huge amount of work for me & my boss together., on the tax provision.  We are the only ones who have the income tax expertise to do it - he is taking on almost everything, but there are a a couple of really big adjustments that I normally prepare - complicated & not sure he could do it the way it should be done.. well, he wouldn't.  he wouldn't have time, & more in my nature to do it that way.  We have to answer to the CPA firm every quarter & well really my boss is telling me to do what I need to do, but of course anything I can do he is completely grateful for too.. A tough position for him to be in, I totally understand it from his view.. being that I have been in his job at other company's before.  I am proud of our work, and what I'm able to do with the complicated stuff is my baby, so to speak. Luckily, I had already sent out all the federal & state return info for the 2008 returns to the CPA firm.  We have 117 legal entities, so its like doing a tax return for each one of them...  The state info I sent out during the day on Monday.. that was the night of the attack..  talk about timing!!  Okay so its in my nature to be dedicated, and its not about the company, its about how I feel about myself and my quality of work.  It is why I have not been laid off or at any other company in the face of lots of layoffs...  i'm just saying.  expertise in this area is hard to come by in a large corporation.  So, that's good, but when you're sick, its not such a good quality...

Anyway, even with all this I'm going to ask the surgeon's office today to push up the surgery.  Can't imagine another week & a half this way...

dg.

Linda, I'm glad you're moving it up, but so sorry that you need to.   ((((( )))))  Keep us posted (heh) ok?

I wonder how Kevin is doing at his appt.??   (& you too)

Woods Lady, nice to see you Smile.    What kind of a HRM do you have?   I'm glad things are going well.   Can you describe the intervals you're doing?  I just started adding back a little of that, I've had an injury assortment that made it a bad idea for a while.  I'm not sure about now and so I'm being very careful.  At least, for my usual way of doing things.  

Laurie, if your leg is that bad & you swam 40 min. last night, are you sure that you should again today?  Not trying to be a pita, but .. think about it, ok?   esp. if the lake is cold, which I bet it is.      What kind of shots didn't he like?  I know too many cortisol shots can damage the muscle.  The other kind (proliferant, I think they're called) I don't know about as far as any damage.   They're supposed to encourage the muscle/tendon to heal. 

Frances, you're being quiet.  I hope you're ok.

5 miles this morning which went pretty well, i added in some faster chunks but they're so much slower than I could do even a few months ago.  grr.   head adjustment.   ok, all better now.  

Linda, I think that explains it. I so dont understand others folks jobs. Kind of pathetic but I have done this job all my life. Ugh. Youre dedicated at any rate.

Thunderstorms ended my swim plans for today. Deb, if I dont do breast stroke then my leg is fine. The other kicks go very easy on my leg. Frog kick is tough. But in the lake with a wetsuit on I can swim without legs just fine. Actually the water usually helps.

Moved up my massage appt to today to ease some of the pain.

Frances, hope all is well.

Eliz, hows summer vacation going?

Laurie

Beginner all over again

Hello Everyone!

I hope you all are doing well.  I have a few days to catch up on notes.

Are we still on this thread? Six pages already  *wink

I ran a few times since I was last here. Put in a Long Run today.  Can you see it on my Training Log?  I have three graphs on the main page.  That's a nifty application, that Training Log. 

I'm a bit afraid of being sore tomorrow and the next day. But if I am, I'll just take 2 days off in a row.  Next two runs are going to be 35 or 40 minutes at the most, and I'll see how I am feeling in a week.

I'm getting really eager to start swimming

Just a little bit, even just a few minutes every other day just to start, the smallest amount, part to get into the habit and part to get into swim-fitness, which I'm sure I'm out of shape for any muscles that I haven't been using.  I'll increase as the days and weeks go by.

I'm going to go back and read the notes that were posted since I last visitied and catch up with what's been going on with ya'll.

Rindaroo

Surgery is scheduled for the 20th, my surgeon is on vacation next week couldn't push it up.  They did tell me that my labs looked much better Smile  So, that was very good news!

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Linda--Glad you've got a date.  Sounds like it's not quite as bad as it was, so hope the time goes quickly.  I had to wait a month for my ablation because I had two doctors working on me and that was the earliest their schedules overlapped.

I had my 3 month followup yesterday.  Doc said that everything looks really good.  Heart should be back up at full capacity, so it's just my lousy shape that keeping me slow , no restrictions on heart rate or training level.  chest discomfort no big deal, sounded like one off kilter beat that should present no problems.  Just something to get used to at the moment.  He said if it was anything to be concerned about it would be happening more than occasionally while running and at other times.  Also get to stop the anti-arrhythmic pills, so I've just had my first full day without.  I think I've noticed a few of the ectopic beats (random) but sure hope I don't have to start again.  So, all in all, very positive.

as I said on the daily, Garmin wanted to look at my 305 in person.  Hope they get it going properly.  the HRM wasn't very useful when it decided to record the actual HR only at random times.  Probably won't do too much speeding up until it's back and working.  Haven't pressed too hard yet--managed to keep it under 130 (when it was working) and pace per HR has been going down(slowly).

One of my every other Fridays off tomorrow, so I'll have the luxury of sleeping in a little and then running.  Can;t be TOO late as we're actually supposed to get summer weather tomorrow and I don't want it too hot.  50's overnight so IRC for a while in the morning.

Hi to every one.

ETA:  the underlined words have no significance other than they were Google spell checks that never went back to normal font   I use Firefox at home (where I am) so don't know if that has something to do with it.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.