Masters Running

My First 50K Ultra - the Good - Bad - and Lots of Ugly (Read 682 times)

Marathon Maniac #3309

Sorry this took a while, as I had this all typed up once on MS Word...then my computer locked up and I lost any unsaved material....and had to type it up again. I also typed up a version for a fitness section for our local Newspaper, that was twice as long as this one.....so Ya better be happy this is the shorter version 

At the end of 2009 I decided I wanted to have a new and very challenging running goal. There was a 50K race in Huntington Indiana I thought about racing (The Huff), but the race is in December and on race day the weather was horrible - snow - ice - and bitter cold (why a 50K Trial race in Indiana in December???) At some point - don't remember exactly when - Holly asked me if I wanted to run a 50K with Her in Ohio.........I said absolutely.

I went online to try and find an advanced 50K training plan because I had a big base of miles over a couple of years, and had already ran Marathons. Well, I did happen to pick one out that was pretty intense and aggressive, but I was up to the challenge of the plan. The timing ended up being good too, because it gave me a goal and plan running through the cold winter and early spring. I soon found out the mileage of this plan made it hard for me to keep up the the speed work part of it, so I just ran the mileage and didn't worry too much about speed.................but still had some speed work. I made it through my increase in mileage every other week.....16 - 18 - 20 - 22 - 24 miles. Then the plan called for 3 - 26 mile training runs, then with a 30 mile run two weeks out (or Marathon Race), and a 20 miler 1 week out.....that's quite an intense and hard plan. Holly questioned me about this a few times, along with some of my Tri and running friends that had ran 50K's before. They all pretty much all treated training for a 50K like training for a Marathon, but I wanted to run the higher mileage. I sort of wanted to try and get used to running 26 miles......experiment of one I guess I told Holly. I have to admit I did indeed get used to running the high mileage every other week, and I did run my 3 - 26 milers in 6 weeks....I was NOT going to follow the plan and run 30 miles 2 weeks out, and a 20 miler 1 week out..........I may be nuts, but not that nuts.

My first 26 mile training run was very hard, but ok (4:22) - My second 26 mile training run 2 weeks later was SUPER on a very windy and very cool day  (4:04), which I thought was awesome for basically running an easy Marathon distance and figured I could have easily ran under a 5 hour or under 50K if I pushed it that particular day -  then my third 26 miler was not so good. The weather in Indiana just turned hot almost over night, and it was very warm and humid this particular morning. I basically struggled to even make it to 16 miles, barely to 20 miles  - slogged and jogged home the last 6 miles (huge bonk). I then I ran long -  to fairly long the next day to make for a 32 to 36 mile weekends (was going for a 40 mile weekend on my last 26 miler, but after my bonk that sounded dumb to even me.

I now knew I had only two weeks to recover, and had to hear a .............I told Ya so from my good Fren Holly because of how tired and sore I was . I told her......I know I know, but I will take it easy for a couple of weeks and I will be fine. The weather continued to stay hot, and anytime I tried to run..........it sucked. The Monday before the 50K, I did have a pretty good 10 miler which did give me some confidence that I was recovering, but felt super sore and tired from that run for days after. I only ran one more time the week before the race to recover and heal up the best I could, and even that 3 miler was a struggle (yikes I thought) But I really thought with the huge decrease in miles, I would be fine on race day. I began to carb load on Wednesday, and gradually increased my carb intake everyday leading up to Saturday. I also paid very close to my hydration needs, and went into the race in good shape in regards to hydration....no alcohol either 1 week before the race. I do have a feeling I probably ate and carb loaded too much, but I did try and only eat good and healthy foods though. Me and Holly both commented before the race, about feeling bloated from all the carb loading.....I was sick of carbs, and figured I over did that aspect of preparing (but 32 miles is a long way I thought, so I will need the extra energy)

There had been this one great big nagging thought that was bugging me..........why was the heat buggin' me so much this year? I mean during my runs since it got warm out, I would sweat profusely and would leave HUGE puddles of sweat if I stopped. Holly commented a few times.....Tim, you usually always run in the afternoons or evenings when it's the hottest out. I said I know....I don’t get it either. Heck, I remember many times posting about my MLR with track work when it was 85 or 90 degrees out, and that didn't really slow me down much or bother me. But I will say this - which I have said many times.................I don't like morning running and sometimes don't run well, but late in the day it's almost a given I will have a good run (this is very frustrating to me BTW)

Well, the training - resting - carb loading - and hydration was done, and it was finally time for the race.

The race was in Englewood Ohio which ended up being about an hour and twenty minute drive for me, and was all highway driving. I had slept very well on Thursday night, and was hoping  the same for Friday night too. After talking to Holly and you guys at RA about the weather, we knew it was a given it was going to be hot and humid with possible storms. After a pretty good nights sleep, I woke up at 3:58 am on my own as my alarm was set for 4:00, and felt rested and good once I hopped out of bed. I had my typical oatmeal and banana and started drinking PowerAde to make sure I was well hydrated before the race......did a good job, as I had to pull over and pee twice on the way to the race. Once I woke up, I also watched the local news and the temperature was 76 degrees THAT early in the morning, with the dew point at 72 and humidly above 90 %.....that's extremely soupy and muggy out!!!! Loaded my gear into my car and made my trek to Ohio-ville, and it was still pitch dark out. I really enjoyed the drive there as I listened to music, and it allowed me to relax as I was nervous I will admit. I also thought of all the long and hard races I had done, and tried to consider this just another one.

I made it to the Park where the race was held, and it was super easy to get to - thank goodness. I walked up to a cabin where some people were gathered and told the RD my name, and I got my bib number and a tee shirt. Once I walked back to my car I noticed Holly had called me, and I called her back and she said she was probably about 20 minutes away. I started getting all my supplies out that I thought I would need, and laid them on a towel out in front of my car.....Powerade - spare gels - and misc items. It was suppose to rain, so we had to be careful what we left outside, like cloths - different shoes - and such. Was fun talking to this lady parked to the right of me, and come to find out - from Holly - she used to run like 100 mile races and such....super nice Lady she was. Pretty neat set up of the race too, because when you pass the start / finish line, you are VERY close to your car with your supplies and such.

I finally saw Holly and it was very nice to see her again, and we gave each other a welcoming Hug (well, think I sneaked two in there ) She started getting Her stuff ready and laid out too, and then She had someone take a couple of pictures of us (Holly posted one of the pictures in Her RR) My nerves were somewhat settled when I saw and talked to Holly, but the start of the race was quickly getting closer. I had my I Pod player with me with some new headphones (didn't want another episode where I have my hands in my shorts trying to turn my I Pod player off to hear someone talking to me - ok, if you missed my story a while back, this will make no sense) and Holly had Her I Pod with Her also to listen to.

I did have a time goal in mind for this race, which was 5 hours....... which I felt was very doable for me I figured. But after feeling how warm and humid it was....all I really wanted to do was just finish (reasonable goal)

Right before the start, me and Holly kind of settled into the back of the pack (120 registered), so we didn't get in the way of the fast runners...and the fools who go out too fast on such a long distance race. The RD described the course to all of us, and told us which person to report to after each loop to document our time (Me and Holly's was a young guy in a blue shirt) The course was pretty cool and unique because it was (sort of) like a big figure 8, and there was a water and food station almost in the middle....never more than 2.6 miles from water and food the whole race, along with water station at the start - finish line. The RD also mentioned how muddy and slick the trails were, which I did kind of dread that.....I thought about the kind of mud that makes your shoes weigh like 20 pounds.

The race then started and off went Me and Holly.........and everyone else

It wasn't to far into the race before we hit the first muddy trail that the RD talked about, and it was a sloppy mess. I wore my new Nike Frees, and I had no grip what so ever really.....but probably only trail shoes would have made a difference (just maybe). Me and Holly then just started to talk about stuff, and you know you’re a REAL runner when............your running with a very pretty Gal, and about the first thing we talked about was potty issues on our runs  

We talked about how we have our favorite potty spots picked out on our routes - what we do if we REALLY have to go, but no place to stop - and so on 

We just kept talking, and then we were running out in the open here ....

Dam

about a mile stretch before you enter the woods and trails again. The top trail is heading out, and the lower bottom paved trail was the return route to the start / finish line.

We then made it to the first water station in the middle of the loop, and quickly grabbed some water and took off. I then realized I may have made a mistake by not bringing my hand held hydration bottle with me, because Holly told me we were always close to water and sports drink ( I brought my bottle with me to the race, but just didn't start out carrying it) We then started what ended up being my favorite part of the whole course....the second loop of the figure 8 configuration. This loop was mostly in the darkened woods on fairly narrow trails, with some that were for single track running. At first everyone was trying to avoid the mud, but after a while that proved to be futile, at least to me. Auggg, I knew I was going to have this problem before hand................my prescription sports glasses fogging up, and not being able to see very well. I wear contacts when I know I am going to sweat a lot, but I forgot I had used my last pair and it was too late to get new one's..........oh well I thought, just deal with it....

Sure enough as we were running through the wet and humid woods, my glasses fogged all up and I couldn't see very well and I placed them on top of my running hat. At about this point is when I said to Holly....wouldn't it suck to fall down in this mess? Soon after I said that, I slipped and fell flat on my back on the muddy trail (say cheese for a camera, lol) It didn't hurt anything and was actually funny....some others heard what I said and thought it was funny too.

Me and Holly just kept talking as I was enjoying her company, along with paying attention to the "new" surroundings for me in a race.

We then came to the center water station again, it was a quick splash and go (funny story about that later) After this water stop, there is around 2 miles back to the start / finish line, and completing the first 8 mile loop. During me and Holly's conversations I mentioned....I had NEVER had to stop during a race to potty, never! (ok, Murphy's Law just kicked in at this point). At mile 6 to be exact, I had this stoopid and strong urge to potty. I actually had the urge earlier, but just kept talking and hoping it would just go away.....I really thought I would be OK. Then bam.................that was it, and I had to stop in my tracks. I quickly told Holly to keep going and I would try and catch up later. She and others said....watch out for the poison ivy in the woods (I don't even know what the stuff looks like to be honest) But a runner gal told me there was a bathroom real close up the road a little ways.....and there was, which was a relief vs going into the woods

OK, the turning point of the whole race was at this point....................

As I was going potty, I was profusely sweating soooo much, I was leaving a HUGE puddle on the bathroom floor. No biggie really as this is typical for me, but I noticed my HR felt pretty high ( which is normal for me too, on morning runs sometimes) I checked my pulse and did the math and my HR was around 170 bpm...............YIKES, that's 5K HR for me. I collected myself and walked outside and my legs felt very stiff / sore and ridiculously heavy, and then the most disparaging and depressing thoughts came into my mind.....I feel like THIS at only 6 miles. I walked around for a few more minutes hoping my HR would come down, and maybe my legs would feel better.....nope. I then felt soooo alone and very depressed as I watched all the others racers just run by having a good time - with no one really knowing how I was feeling at that time.

So there I was - 6 miles into a 32 mile trail race - feeling finished already.....how embarrassing is this I thought!!!! So I knew I at least needed to make it back to the start / finish line, then determine what I would do. I started walking, but then felt silly because all of a sudden the walkers were catching up with me, and I again felt embarrassed. I then started a very slow shuffle jog and was able to run like this until I would come to an uphill, then I would walk up those. I finally made it back to the finish of the first loop and went up to my guy so he could write my time down (yikes, I didn't wanna know what my time was with all the non running and contemplating I was doing. I then walked over to my car and sat down, as my HR was still waaaay to high and my legs were still toast. I actually un-tied my shoes, took my music and fuel belt off, and decided to call it a day..........I had no choice.

As I was sitting there, all these disappointing / self loathing thoughts kept coming to my mind...... What was Holly going think - what were all the supportive people at RA going to think - what were my Running / Cycling / and Triathlete Friends going to think....as lots of people knew about Me and this 50K race, and wished me well and good luck. Allllll I could keep thinking of was the embarrassment of (barely) making it only one stoopid 8 mile lap. This part is kind of hard for guys to admit, but my eyes started to dwell up because all I wanted to do was be in great shape, and have a good race. Heck, feeling bad at like 25 miles or so would be ok and fairly normal, but not this soon in a race. I wiped my tears off my cheeks (crying like a baby to be honest) -  tied my shoes back up, put my music and fuel belt back on -  and decide to somehow press on, when running another 24 miles seemed like a daunting and impossible task. I have no idea where this strength came from to continue on - except for so many people expecting me to finish this particular race, and I guess my own stubbornness and mental fortitude (which I was really lacking at, to be honest at this point). Somewhere on the first lap I stepped on a tree root wrong, and I stretched my left arch and it was starting to be very painful also....a burning and stinging sort of pain. Thinking about how bad I felt, I really didn't let that become a big issue. But it hurt like hell when ever I tried to push off with my left foot, but I just adapted and tried to push of with my right foot as much as I could, especially pushing off on the up hills.

So off I went on my 2nd 8 mile loop, and all I could think about was how horrible I felt. I am pretty picky about "not" walking during races, but I did allow myself to walk up some of the very slick - steeper hills, and walk down some of the down hills for the same reason. I finally reached the center aid station and I stopped for quite awhile and talked to the volunteers as that seemed to help me a little mentally, I guess (I had gave up on any time goal obviously by this point) These short little breaks did help me to be able to continue on, and fragilely on I went.................although I didn't see ANY WAY how I could finish because I kept feeling worse as I went. Somehow I made the 2nd figure 8 loop on the 2nd lap, and stopped at the center aid station again for water and supplies and talked to the same volunteers again. At this point there is 2 miles back to the start / finish line, and didn't think I could possibly make it back. And on top of everything else, I got a side painful side stitch that was starting to get worse, but figured it would just go away on it's own. HA, I ended up with THAT for almost 20 miles, and many people tried to give me their ideas to make it go away - deeps breaths - lay down on my back with my arms above my head - and other ideas which never worked.....I just dealt with it the best I could (sigh)

Some how I completed my 2nd 8 mile lap, and I barely could run up to my guy who takes the time down. I then walked to my car again and thought I am FINISHED...............I am only 1/2 way done, and I can't go any further as my legs were burning and my HR was crazy high. I was trying to find something to write with so I could write Holly a note, that I stopped and went home. But then the same emotions I spoke about before flooded my mind as I dwelled up again and thought....how embarrassing is this....I just want to feel good enough to finish (is that asking to much, REALLY)

Somehow.....don't know how, but I reluctantly started off on a slow slog to start my 3rd - 8 mile lap. Ouch, my side stitch on my right side of my belly was killing me, and I was limping with my left foot / arch.......I think I just sort of laughed at myself at this point. I had a very hard time getting going again, but after a mile or two into the 3rd lap something TOTALLY remarkable and TOTALLY unexpected happened.....I actually started to feel better. Now I still had my side stitch - foot still hurt, but all of a sudden my legs felt a little lighter and I was breathing more easily because my HR was getting lower. As I reached the center aid station on the 3rd lap (about 20 miles into the race) and entering into my favorite part of the course,  I didn't talk at all and took in 2 gels - 2  S Caps - and drank water and took off. All of a sudden I had my running legs, and was running at very comfortable and pretty quick pace. Heck, I was running up and down the muddy hills and was just running through the center of the muddy trails, instead of trying to avoid the mud...........actually, I was having fun getting muddy. I stopped at the center aid station and grabbed some quick water - banana - chips, and off I went. The volunteers even noticed and said....you sure ran that loop quicker. As I was running away I said I felt a lot better...............then a Lady helper said.....you may want to turn around, as you are running the same way you came in (felt good enough, I thought this was funny) By the time the day was over, I got off course a couple of times....one is where Holly said she got of course in Her RR too, but no real biggie thing to me - considering.....

My side and foot was still hurting, but I didn't care at this point....even though I thought I was causing real damage to my left arch. I made it back the 2 miles to the start / finish line and ran up to the guy I reported to. He said great job......nice race (Holly, I think this is where the confusion came in when you checked where I was on the course, according to the times he had wrote down for my laps) He said there was some confusion with writing some times down wrong, with the wrong bib numbers. He said I was finished with the race, but I said that was only lap 3 for me. He then tried to convince me that I did indeed finish the race, but then I explained to him the problems I had experienced and why I was being so slow. (Boy, I actually could have stopped there and had a 5:30 ish finishing time, but that would NOT be covering the whole distance, and would be no Joy with that)

I filled my bottle with water (I was done with sweet sports drink and yucky gels at that point), and ate some chips and trail mix and took off on my 4th and final 8 mile lap. I know this probably didn't look right because as I was "quickly" taking off, while many runners were finishing the race, and I was basically going to be with the walkers now. My stoopid side stitch was hurting more than ever now, and I was trying to take deeps breaths to try and make the pain go away (didn’t help).....and my arch hurt, but was tolerable I guess. I was nearing the center aid station, and as I was approaching I briefly saw Holly and Her bushy pony trail bouncing back and forth (it's hard to miss that, if ya know Holly) She was listening to music and I was too, so there was no way of getting her attention.....she was like a little strong willed bulldog, just running down that trail like a locomotive, that was NOT going to be stopped for anything (what a talented and determined runner she is  )

I really never looked at my Garmin much the whole race, but I did push my lap button for my last and final lap....I was smokin' the trail as my legs felt Greta, and my HR was lower as it should have been the whole race. I was in "no Man's land" sort of because the runners were finishing, and there were no walkers I could see as I was running through the trails in the darken and musty - but sweet smelling woods (I could think pleasant thoughts now) I then noticed a guy who was sorta trying to run, but mostly walking. I noticed from a short distance that he tripped and fell and he hit his head pretty hard on the ground. I ran up to him and asked if he was ok, and he said yes.....but he said he couldn't go any further. (Shoot), I silently thought because I finally had a quick lap going, and I wanted to get back to see Holly again also. He told me to go on, but my conscience wouldn't allow me leave a fellow human being in the middle of no where lying on a trail. I didn't have my cell phone with me, so I knew I would have to wait for a walker to come by and hope they had a cell with them. After quite a while of waiting, a gal finally came walking up that had a phone, and she called the guy's wife. She was at the start / finish line and then reported it to some official, who then reported it to someone who could help the guy. Some other walkers walked up and said they would wait for help arrive if I wanted to take off. I'm sure everything worked out fine for the guy who fell....he told me he did the race on a bet and a whim, and was not really trained for it at all (lot's of people do that on long races like Marathons and such.....makes a lot of people hate running because of lack of training and then suffering through something like this)

I took off again and quickly made it to the middle aid station for the first stop of the loop, and just took on a bottle full of water. I had soooooo much fun on the 2nd and favorite part of the loop, as I was enjoying the trails and running through the mud. I made it back to the center aid station for the LAAAAAST time, and I didn't need anything because it's only 2 miles till the end. But I said a BIG thank you to the volunteer workers, and they said..............congratulations, you made it. I then ran up on a guy who was walking, and starting running again when I tried to pass him. He asked if I could help get him to the finish line, and I said sure Buddie. I told him about my foot and side stitch problems then it dawned on me.........my side stitch was gone after hurting for like 20 miles. This guy was really nice, and told me his last Marathon he ran a 3:11 (wow I said).....but this was his slowest 50K ever, because of the heat and mud he suspected. I said well.........................we are both pretty good runners, with a slow 50K time today. This guy stayed with me, but he was hurting as we got a mile from the finish line. It started to thunder and lightening out - then pour down rain. I then told the guy "we" at least were going to finish strong as I took off, and ran the last mile stronger than any other mile the whole freaking day (WOW?) There is a very slick / muddy section of trail close to the finish where I almost fell down, but ended up staying upright and only fell one time the whole day. And on a positive note.............the rain mostly washed the mud off me and my cloths (smiles)

I then approached the finish line and ran up to my guy who I report my time to, and he still swore I was done on my 3rd lap.....and it must of confused him because on the result page on the website, it doesn't show a time for my 3rd lap....but shows a finish time???

It really was raining buckets as I ran to my car for dry and clean cloths and cover. I figured Holly would have left, and I would in no way expected her to wait that long for me to finish. She left a message and said she did wait 45 minutes for me though (thanks Dear, but sorry you had to wait even that long) Funny too, I felt soooo good even after the race, that I took off running and ran back down the trail to help root on some walkers and others that were finishing. I ran back with some - then  ran some in the parking lot......as I was JUST ABSOLUTELY OVERJOYED THAT I JUST COMPLETED MY FIRST 50K ULTRA - MARATHON. I have to admit shedding some tears of Joy just thinking about how damn hard this race was - with allll the problems I had - all the pains..............but what a Saaaaaaaweet ending!!!

My official time: 7:29:36 

833 Tim Green 51 MGM 1:37:30 3:35:26

7:29:36

I had my Garmin set to only stop, if I was stopped which then counts as resting minutes. While my time was 7:29, my Garmin had me resting more than 1.5 hours. That's all the time I spent using the potty - quitting the race multiple times - contemplated what to do - taking my time at the water stations - helping a guy who fell - arguing with the guy that thought I was done at 3 laps...and so on. So I figure if I would have felt good from the beginning.............oh what does it matter....it is what is (grins)

My last lap was 1:16 and some change, which was very fast to me with the conditions and muddy trails, and considering how I felt most of the day.

I have raced a lot of long distances races before....but this was most definitely the most difficult one....but most fulfilling too!!!

What went wrong???  I don't think I over trained because of my quick finish (right?)  - I was well hydrated - I started slow enough - I was well rested I think..... I just sometimes don't run well in the mornings. Take this same race at 5:00 or 6:00pm...........totally different result I know.

Thanks for the invite Holly................and you WILL see me there again next year!!!

A couple of funny side notes............well,  funny to me at the time..................................

The guy that I ran with at the end, remembered that I was running with Holly. I mentioned to Him I was trying to get back fast, so I could meet up with my runner Gal I started with. He then mentioned..............you mean the Gal at the 2nd water stop who said.....come on, we're wasting time....lets get going. I said yeah...that's Her. He said I could tell it was your Wife with how She was bossing Ya around (that was sooo funny, and that cracked me up like...LOL funny)....I said no, she is just a good runner Friend of mine.

Another "older" guy I ran with for a while complained about having to hydrate sooo much for such a long race. He said....what about us old folk, who will be up all night peeing, because of all this drinking water and stuff (OK, this dude cracked me up too at the time, and he was totally serious too)

Another funny thing - I brought a couple of Imported Beers with Me in a small cooler for after the race. I brought one for me, and one for Holly if she wanted it....or I would drink both. Holly was gone, so I asked a guy who finished the race about the same time I did if he wanted a cold beer....he said sure. Well, I thought these had twist off caps....nope. You ought to have witnessed two dudes trying everything to open a beer - I tried using my teeth (that didn't work) - hehe, we even opened the engine compartments of our cars and tried to find something that was shaped in such a way to open a bottle (no can do) - We finally laughed and said we would have to enjoy our beers at home (hilarious at that time and place)

Thanks for reading......you all Rock!!!!

TimBo

Here are some race photos....

Another Dam 50K

Another Dam 50K Another Dam 50K

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

Nice story Tim, I don't know if you've inspired me to move from Marathons to ultra distances or frightened me from ever trying it again.    I ran a (27. something) trail run 15 years ago and remember the 6 hour ordeal distinctly.  There were lows and highs and I still have a nice scar on my thigh from being careless while crossing over a barbed wire fence.   I have to say that the trail leaves more of a mark on you than you on the trail.   Good run, great read and thanks for sharing. 

Karl

Wow, bike.  That was one tough ordeal.  I can't imagine how anyone could continue after the way you felt and yet you finished so strong.  You are one tough and determined guy.  Congratulations.

TomS

Tim, "Humidity".  That was the difference.  It's most humid early in the morning and it'll eat you alive - more so that heat any day.

You deserve a Great Big AttaBoy for your determination and Grit.  Well done.

Bill

PS:  Say "Hi" to your wife (Holly) for me. 

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

...I am in Awe of anyone who can run an Ultra//........but this RR is in a Class By Itself.....

what a perfectly put Narrative

of a Runners' thoughts during a grueling race.

thanks for sharing tim.

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Tim your report is inspiring me to sign up for a late Spring ultra next year, NOT

Well you had some very challenging training runs (maybe a bit too challenging).You seemed prepared but things beyond your control played a large part & slowed you but you did not give up.  YOU DID IT!  Not many can say they did a ultra    but you can.  Congrats 

Courage ! Do one brave thing today...then run like hell.

Mariposai

The tough experience you had will make your first ultra that much sweeter. Thanks for giving us the detail of your race. I read every paragraph of it and I believe it will serve me as an inspiration next time I have a hard race day.

H&H are the runner's enemy on race day!

Congrats ULTRA_TIMBO

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

TammyinGP

you did it Tim!! Congratulations. You figured out how to dig deep and push through the pain when you wanted to quit. Yeah, an ultra is a test in physical fitness, but it's also a HUGE test in mental fortitude - and you have it my friend!

Congrats!

Tammy

Marathon Maniac #957

Wow - excellent report!  Tough, tough day for sure, and yet, you persevered, you found the strength and will to finish against all the obstacles - CONGRATULATIONS, ULTRAMARATHONER!!!!

That's funny about that guy thinking I was your wife - I didn't mean to be impatient....

I had forgotten all about looking at the site again for the photos, but your report reminded me.  As usual I have my eyes closed and my mouth open for most of them, but I did find this one I rather liked.  Very sweaty, but great background.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

SteveP

Holy Carp the sounds like fun!!!!

My dog would love the course as well.

SteveP

Well everything crummy happened to you except the poison oak, so consider it a success!  That HR business.  I think Breger is onto something there.  Perhaps with you your HR tends to be high in the morning, higher than most people, for whatever reason, and then add the humidity on top of that.  I really felt for you there, in the potty shedding puddles of sweat and your HR not coming down.  I know that is a yucky feeling.  You are a very talented and determined runner.  Unfortunately this race didn't highlight your talent but it did your determination.  Looks like determination trumps talent, something we can all learn from.

The only thing you'll catch me doing for 7 hr 29 min straight is sleeping!

(great picture Holly!)

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Maniac 505

Great job Tim,  I was waiting for this.  sounds like it wasn't quite your day, and that humidity had to be a killer. 

sorry You had to struggle so much through the first couple of laps.  I'm glad you were able to pull it together and had such a strong finish. 

and great pictures.  (You too Holly)

Dave

evanflein

Well Tim, that was quite the report! Took me two sittings to get through it all. You sure had a time out there. I tell ya though, that training plan you pulled sounds like more appropriate for a 50 miler than a 50k race. Maybe for your next one you'll have the benefit of some experience and can tailor your training a little bit. I do think some of your dead-leggedness and HR problem could be from overtraining. But, what do I know.

This was a really difficult day for a race of this length. Add in the mud from earlier rain and you have a true challenge to deal with. You stuck to your guns and made it out in one piece. Congratulations on finishing your first 50k, and the next one is bound to be a hugh PR, right?

Thanks for the photos that both you and Holly posted. They really bring the day to life when reading a RR.

Tim,

Nothing comes easy thats worth much. This race will inspire you and give you strength in future races because if you can endure all that and still finish than anything is possible. I think everyone has something Tim, Overtraining will make the heart rate high and your legs had been dead for almost 2 weeks before the race , something was not right thats for sure.

Congrats on your first ultra.

Larry

Chumbawamba: I get knocked down But I get up again You're never going to keep me down

Queen of 3rd Place

That was a totally riveting RR! Good for you for hanging in there, I don't think I would have had your determination.

Ex runner