Masters Running

40s On the Run - Happiness . . . (Wk of 6/08/08) (Read 678 times)

Top 'O the World!

Hmmm, long tough day, Leslie! Tongue I had a lovely group run w/the TNT crew yesterday am - 6.26 miles along a new path (Bear Creek Trail) that was pretty nice. Even had a nice river access @ the almost halfway point for Mairead to wet her toes & nose Smile again, was warming up pretty quickly so was glad for the early run....crystal clear day - middle 80's When I got home from the TNT group, (9-ish) Mom had posted a working # for DS, so I called & amazingly she talked w/me as if all was well btwn us ( Undecided) & sounded clear/cognizant (non-medicated!!!)..... If I've got the story correct, officials told them to secure their things on the first floor at least kitchen counter high or better yet, move everything to the second floor in prep for a levee over-flow & that they should also go secure lodging away from the area "just in case"...for a day or two (projected to crest near 30' - which would overflow the new levy) So, they moved the birds, electronics, & such - everything that they could move fairly quickly as I understand it - to the 2nd & upper floor & took the suggested couple changes of clothes, a new puppy & the kittens they could catch (full car load) & headed down to the designated FEMA staging area to sign up for the shelter assistance/designation w/the intention of returning to get the birds & cats as soon as they found a place to stay.....sounds like this is where they were when they learned that the levee BROKE!! The whole area was under water in minutes! Rod rushed back to the area via friend w/motor boat & saw that their 2 1/2 story house was completely submerged! said that only about 6" of the peak of the roof was sticking out! That was @ almost 31'.... The river crested yesterday @ 35.8'!! If the levy had held, the 1st floor would still have been completely submerged! She told me that they were told that it could take several days for the water to recede, @ which point they expect that the house will just collapse. AND the insurance people are not talking w/her just yet Angry w/the down town area flooded, even the banks are under water....even the ATM's out of water are not working...she said about the best way to send in money was (ironically) via Walmart Money Gram...okay then! I get to stand in line for over an hour for a woman who cannot type or spell & their machine won't take my debit card Angry so, I have to leave my place in line, get an ATM draw & try again!!! AARRGGHH! anyway, got it done & only 30 mins late to work! then no phone service to give her the verification #....so I text'd it to everybody! w/instructions to keep trying to get it to her....mid afternoon I rcv'd a txt that she'd gotten the wire....could've been worse...they could've still been in the house when the levee broke! ....and it sounds like they're expecting more rain today.......& Northern CA is on FIRE!! Jeeezes!! Shocked news footage: http://www.kcrg.com/floodwatch/coverage/19891824.html?video=YHI&t=a On a lighter note: Happy Father's Day!! Doug & I took a "news break" for about 11.5 miles on High Line Canal...8-9 miles easy jogging + lotsa walking/talking.....Mairead was DONE by 9!! preferring to lounge in the shade! Tongue ....followed by Belgian Waffles w/peaches & bacon! Big grin
    Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group
      Wow, Cindy! What an ordeal for your sister. I'm so sorry about her pets Cry Maybe this will be a turning point in your relationship, and her life. Horrible way to get there, but praying that there will be a silver lining in this horrible thing that has happened, for her and everyone impacted. Sounds like you and dear hubby (and Mairead) had some good time decompressing together. Here's to a less "eventful" week!
      Progress Trumps Pefection