Masters Running

Join "Team Amy" for the Boston Marathon (Read 879 times)

I'll take mile 13---halfway there and where for me the acceleration begins (perhaps because a rival Seven Sister school gets so much press for their screaming....I just have to show them the speed) Dear Amy, I live at the other end of your home state in Western, Massachusetts. Your spirit and enthusiasm covers the miles and I can feel that here at my house. Your friend Bob has told us about you and your amazing family and we all plan to be cheering for you and for him when we get to Boston in just two weeks. You also have fans all over the world and whether they will be in Boston or not, they will be thinking about you. I have an 11 year-old son who joins me in saying that you are an awesome kid with the strength of a lioness (my son said to say a lioness since they are known for their strength and their gentle spirit). I'll be proud to run this mile for you Amy and I'll make it a good one. Your smile will carry me the rest of the way! Your friend and fan, Karin
    nowor

OK, I just read the daily and it seems that team AMY is for those running Boston. Makes sense. So someone else will have to run mi 3. Boston or any marathon will never be in my future, but I'm fortunate to live near the route and love to cheer (not so quietly that day). I also run along commonwealth at least once a week and inevitably think about those training, those on the DL, and Amy. Bob, your posts reach many folks, way more than those responding daily and those hammering out the miles. Thanks.

King of PhotoShop

Dear Amy, I'm not running the Boston Marathon this year, but I would like to take mile 23 for you. It has always been a special mile for me in previous Boston Marathons, because it has a bit of downhill in it and if you are strong you can really pour on the speed. That mile will remind me of you, because after you get through some tough times, like those nasty uphills, all of a sudden it's a speedy and fun ride home, and that's just the way it will be for you. I'm an old guy, but I have pretty young kids and I bet you would like them. People here say that I am a curmudgeon. That's a fun word to learn. It kind of means grouchy, but I am really a good guy. I hope you enjoy following the marathon with all your friends, even the curmudgeons! Best wishes, Spareribs
        Teresadfp

One day at a time

OK, I just read the daily and it seems that team AMY is for those running Boston. Makes sense. So someone else will have to run mi 3. Boston or any marathon will never be in my future, but I'm fortunate to live near the route and love to cheer (not so quietly that day). I also run along commonwealth at least once a week and inevitably think about those training, those on the DL, and Amy. Bob, your posts reach many folks, way more than those responding daily and those hammering out the miles. Thanks.
          No, it's not just for those running Boston. btb said, "You don't need to be running Boston to join this team. The only requirement for admission is to pick a mile in the race, and then write a note here to Amy with some words of encouragement to her." You can keep mile 3!
          PJH

Hi Amy, My name is Pat and I live in Mississauga, Ontario, Canada. I'll run mile 24 for you, Amy, because this is where I get really tired, so thinking of you will give me the extra energy I need to keep going. My daughter's name is also Amy and she's very special to me. I'm sure you're very special to a lot of people as well. I sure hope you root for me, because I sure am rooting for you! Your new Canadian friend, Pat
              Nowor! Keep mile 3----Amy will need us whether we are in marathons or not and whether it's Boston or not. See what Teresa posted. Our voice loud or quiet and our strides (wherever they take us) will help her. Heck, I am hoping we get more than 26.2 covered----what she faces is an ultra. CNY
                Sayhey Amy, I'm Amy too. I'll take mile 9. While I'm a runner, I'm also a baseball fan. (And even though I live in South Dakota, I'm a huge Red Sox fan--I get XM radio so I can listen to all the games out here). In baseball, the team's important--it takes not just the 9 players on the field, but all the players on the bench, ready to pinch-hit or come in to relieve the pitcher when the arm just gets too tired. When I went through cancer, I learned all over again the importance of being part of a team. Looks as if you have a great one working for you, and with Bob as your very special coach, you know you will go all the way. So, when we head toward Natick Center, I'll be thinking extra hard about you and I'll make sure I high five as many folks as I can--we'll keep the energy going on and on for you! grins, Amy ps: my birthday is April 15.
                Masters 2000 miles
                  Hi Amy, I want to take mile 14. 14 is my favourite number, always has been and always will be. I have a 5 year old who is probably a lot like you. She is very persistent, which is a good quality to have whether you are a marathon runner or a 5 year old. She loves to draw, and is very creative, something I am not. She loves candy and wants to have a cat someday. I will ask her to draw some pictures of cats to send to you. I am not running the Boston marathon because I am slow. I love to stop and look at things on my runs and that slows me down but makes my day more enjoyable. Your friend Bob is awesome. Here is one of your virtual friends. Her name is Lucy. http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2342/2391119438_fe0574d4e5.jpg

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

SteveP

I'd like mile two (2). Amy, Bob's a good guy and he tells us about how good you are and how made his life better. Your picture is nice. Pink is cool. My wife says you are very pretty. Our family lives in Michigan near Traverse City. We have lots of cherries here in the summer time. Kids eat cherry pies in pie eating races!! The kids can only use their mouth and have their hands behind them. The red goo gets all over their faces and drips on the kids' shirts. Some times it gets in the kids' hair!!! The moms must get mad at the mess!!!. It looks really fun. Some times we go to the beach up here. The is one place where there are two lakes. One lake is small and the water is warm. The one really close to it is big. It seems like almost an ocean. It's call Lake Michigan and the water is clear and cold. When we're done, we go to a place called the "Cherry Republic". Can you guess what the have there?? It's all cherries!!! There is whole bunch of things made out of cherries and we try them all. Then we get ice cream that they make there. It's all different kinds of cherry ice cream. If you ever come out here, we would like to show you around. You better like cherries!!!

SteveP

I'll take Mile 25 Hi Amy, I am a nurse at Brigham and Women's Hospital in Boston and we take care of many moms who have babies who go right over to Children's Hospital and have surgeries just like you did. You are so special - you show us all how important it is to be strong and fight to the finish. I picked Mile 25 because even tho it seems like the finish line is so close sometimes that's when you have to fight the hardest! You are a strong little girl and I will think of you often!! Love, Denise

denise

seemomgo

Hi Amy, I get mile 22 - it is my best number ever!!! I LOVE the number 22. it's like two 2's dancing together! I love dancing. With two 2's there is no chance of being alone!!! Just like you...you have all of us rooting for you and wishing we were with you!!! Yup, 22 rocks!!!! I have a daughter who is now an 11 year old - hey!!!.....that's half of 22!!! Cool! I always wanted her to wear pink. She never would. I like seeing how cute you are in pink!! I bet you are going to grow up to be an absolutely beautiful young lady - and you'll still wear pink and look PERFECT! I am sending you a warm Colorado hug. Now you make sure you give a big hug back to Bob next time you see him! You be strong my new little friend. Remember, you may be small, but you are MIGHTY!!!! Your friend in Colorado, Lori

#artbydmcbride

Dear Amy, I want mile 5, Mile 5 is a fun mile. You feel so strong and happy and are getting into a groove. Five is such a great time too, school is getting good and life is sunshine and birdsongs. I am thinking of you Amy and smiling and praying for you. Its like having new shoes! Smile

Runners run

evanflein

Hi Amy, I know Seemomgo already took mile 22, but I'm going to join her with that mile because it's at mile 22 when I know I'm going to finish the marathon. Just like we know you're going to finish this problem and be victorious at the end! You're a special little girl with a winning charm and you've got a nationwide.... worldwide group of supporters cheering you on! Best wishes from Fairbanks Alaska, Amy! I'll be thinking of you when I'm running Boston... and at mile 22 I'll be done with the worst hills and cruising on to the finish, being pulled along by your spirit and smile! Hugs to you and your family, Erika
                            coastwalker

Hi Amy, I'll take mile #12. It is just up the road from mile #10, where I'll be working as a volunteer at Boston. It takes a lot of volunteers to make a race as big as the Boston Marathon go smoothly and safely. You've got a lot of people from all over the country and in Canada, who are volunteering to be part of Team Amy because we all want the best for you. I'll be thinking of you, especially on race day, and thanking you for pulling us all together. Jay (in Hampton, NH)

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Amy- Please know that there are many people rooting for you all over the United States! It would be an honor to run mile 16 for you. I will be sure to think happy thoughts and send them your way... Smile We are from Connecticut. My wife and our two children live here and travel to Boston all the time. We go to see the Red Sox play a lot. While I am running, they will be at the game. I'd bet you have a favorite player on the Red Sox-(I know I do)...My sons are 11 and 12 years old. My wife worked as a NICU nurse for 10 years, so she knows a lot about hospitals-just like you do. I've taken care of many people who had surgery as a kid and everyone that I've ever met was a super nice person. I'd bet you are even sweeter and nicer... We all wish you peace, joy, health and happiness! Doctor Dale Toce -cardiologist- bib#7120 (aka dtoce) ps-that Bob sure is a good guy, isn't he? Wink