Masters Running

First Spring Daily: Monday, 3.20.17 (Read 34 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

It's going to feel like Spring around here for a couple of days before the temps dive again - another tease.

Sunday’s superb workouts & races:
    BerthaSlayer (6.1 giddy recovery miles)
    Adventure Doggie (4 miles with Mia and Steve and beefer work sightings)
    Rochrunner (6 sore and sluggish miles around the lake)
    RunnerKSA (11 fast and sunny miles after struggling to get started)
    C-R (5 recover miles after a 1500 mile biz trip with streak maintained)
    Holly (20.1 miles in 36-44° breezy temps)
    Tramps (13 rail trail miles, with knee holding)
    Twocat (19 mile with 5 tough miles at MP)
    Tet (tired and happy after his annual half, firs run in ’96)
    Spacityrunner (4 blazing hot miles on a flat nature trail)
    Mariposai (5 miles with the Easy Pacer, none at MP)
    Mike (6.4 miles with a new friend, plus .8 for a whole #)
    StarrRuns (4.7 miles around the lake in sunny and calm weather)
    Evanflein (3.3 outside miles, feeling good but out of hillage shape)

Posting rule: You can post your workouts from any day you want. However, to maintain my sanity (yes, this is a reminder that there is a sanity clause), I’m only going to highlight workouts from the previous day. So, today is Monday, and I’m posting your Sunday workouts. Clear as mud, eh?

Starr, it was in the 60’s here today, but that refers to my age, not the weather…

Sounds like a heck of a wedding, Tomwhite! At least the bagpipes weren’t on fire, or were they?

Congrats on not getting lost, BerthaSlayer…

Thanks for the great photos, AD. I’m sorry you and Mia had to go ice creamless.

Welcome back, C-R. Good luck with tax time.

Good question, Holly: What is the point of PTO?

Twocat, I’m also read quite a bit on my iPad. However, I’m incapable of going into a bookstore and coming out empty handed. Especially if it is a local bookstore. Congrats on the mailbox repair that has disappeared from your post.

Enjoy the ‘warming trend,’ Evanflein. I don’t think I could ever refer to -2° as warm, but I guess it’s all a matter of perspective. Congrats on the massive cleaning job - holy cow is right!

Nice streak, Catwhoorg - rest day well earned.

Nice racing and being happy in the nippy weather, Tet.

Congrats on surviving that last, ugly mile, Spacityrunner.

Tough year, indeed, Mariposai, but you are also a tough lady (as well as an RA Goddess)!

Good for you for taking the time to run with a new church member, Mike.

Good luck in the Xenia ORRRC Marathon, Holly. Nice price!

Congrats on you and The Hub getting your new desk put together, Fatozzig. I hope it works for you.

Eke, you could put up a motion-sensor camera to see who is trying to use your hot tub at a the cabin when you are not there.

Pretty scary trail critter, Steve. No wonder Tag was a bit scared.

I read that, according to an annual survey, the Scandinavian countries are the happiest in the world. So is there something to be said for just accepting higher taxes, and being able to take full advantage of all the health, cultural, educational, etc. benefits that come along with those taxes? I'm just asking, not advocating (because I don't know the answer, but it appears worth exploring).

I went 7+ miles (84+ laps, but who’s counting) on the indoor track yesterday at racewalking training, but I was especially happy to maybe have made a breakthrough with two other racewalkers who were stuck in places that were preventing them from reaching their full potential. We’ll see in a few weeks what kind of progress they’ve made. I’ll be really pissed (well, not really) if they wind up faster than me. Afterwards, I went grocery shopping, went home and baked a cake that failed.  Later, DW and I went for a walk down to the ocean, and then I made a mess of guac for us that we enjoyed in front of a roaring fireplace, and then DW made a very tasty dinner of seasoned pork, potatoes and onions. Nice day.

Monday is usually my SRD, and I was going to sleep in, but didn't. So I went for 3.5 reasonably quick RW miles in 30° temps, under clear semi-moonlit skies.

Have a greta Moday, and welcome to Spring!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

3.2 miles before work.  Finally got out there in the semi-dark for the first early run since the time change.  Found a small rubber ducky in the street, which I brought home with me.  I collect them. So- score!

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Happy Monday, all.

Nice rest day, Jay.  I should probably take a few more of those.

TC--you did all those screws WITHOUT a drill?   Of course I can't imagine not having one, but if I didn't, I would have bought one when I picked up the straps and saw the number of screws involved.

In the day late category, I went 6.6 yesterday in pretty nice weather at right around 32°.

Nice find, KSA.  Next would be the bathtub to put it in?

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

stumpy77 and others. I had no power tools. I did have a drill. A hand cranked drill.  A power drill and screwdriver would certainly have made the whole thing go faster. Yes, I would have easily covered the cost by getting a job flipping burgers for half the time it took me to get all of the screws back in.

I just did some gym work this morning. Now to get my tail into gear and get some work done.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Tramps

Jay--it's a well-documented phenomenon that societies with less inequality tend to have happier, healthier citizens.  (Summarized, for example, in a  book called The Spirit Level by British social scientists.) Of course, there are debates about causation, the generalizability of this observation, etc. The US is the most unequal society of the advanced industrialized nations, but most Americans vastly underestimate the extent of this inequality, for example:

Actual Wealth Distribution of the U.S., What Americans Think the Wealth Distribution Is, and What They’d Like It to Be

Make of that what you will.

EZ 6 on a sunny morning.

Be safe. Be kind.

Tramps the way they measure "happiness" does not clearly get at the idea of "happy." The surveys typically ask "On a scale of 1 to 10 how happy are you?" (The range changes from survey to survey, but it is the general question that is asked.) People then give a number. Typically there is no scale. It is why, I think, you generally find wealth has little correlation with the survey answers. People in very poor countries give scores close to those in wealthy ones. I do not think people are answering this question on an absolute metric. I suspect they are answering the question, "Relative to how happy you think others are that you know how happy are you?" If you were to scale this so that the question was, "Call the happiness level of the typical billionaire a 10 and that of a person suffering from horrible lifelong pain a 1. On that scale how happy are you?" I think the results would be dramatically different. Quite a few people at my school work on the what makes people happy question and I have been harping on them for years that they are not measuring what they claim to measure. I have not seen something to change my mind. There is also strong evidence against the survey results. When it comes to where people think they will be happy they vote with their feet. Those feet typically (no not always just more than elsewhere) head to the US when they can.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Tramps

• Of course, there are a variety of ways to operationalize “happiness” in research.  Some rely on subjective responses to questions of the sort you mention (though they tend to be more sophisticated than you imply here), others veer towards social health and are composites of more objective measures (income, health indices, education level, etc.).  Different approaches produce somewhat different results.
                • No, wealth by itself is not particularly well-correlated with happiness.  That’s where inequality comes in.
                • And the idea that the world’s immigrants all head to the US is more complicated.  Yes, the US has the largest number of immigrants but on a per capita basis (key), the US is no where near the top (for a variety of resaons).  Canada, Australia and dozens of other countries have a higher rate of immigrants in their population.

I wonder how running is correlated with happiness?  Causal? 

Be safe. Be kind.

TammyinGP

It's the First Day of Spring and I'm just happy we are in the mid 50's, even though it's raining.  Of course, my DH isn't happy about the rain because he thinks come spring time he should be wearing shorts. Maybe he'd be happier in Arizona. 

Loved the pics AD shared yesterday.

Glad you have your new desk set-up Leslie. That should help alot. 

Ran a 5 mile shamrock run on Saturday. pretty slow at 51:17 (compared to 2 yrs ago when I ran it at 44:40!).  Then a friend and I ran another 7 miles after that. We were planning on 8 but the rain was coming down so hard at that point and we were both satisfied to get in a double digit run for the day so we turned around and ran back a little short of goal.   No run yesterday though. just feeling tired and run down, so other than a ton of laundry and making a fried chicken/biscuits/gravy, I didn't do much yesterday. 

May get in a short run after work. i have about 45 minutes to kill in between work and a parent meeting at David's school, so might take advantage of that time to run.  We'll be at the school for 2 hrs though, so depends on weather. if it's rainy, i'm sitting around in damp clothes for 2 hrs. 

have a great Monday and Happy Spring!

Tammy

C-R

Morning all,

Way to go coach Jay!

First day of Spring? Figures - rainy and 38 here. Seems correct.

Twocat and Tramps - interesting discussion. I'm pretty happy if I get 1) run 2) coffee - order is relative. No one asked me though.

2 recovery miles. Getting ready to hit the road again. Runners club board meeting tonight. Good crew and we've done some nice things already this year. Looking forward to the next adventure.

Cheers.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                    "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Tammy, sounds like you are running well and long these days.  Any races coming up?

Jay - the camera is a great idea, however, I don't have internet service nor a computer at the cabin.  Perhaps someday....not now.

As you all know, I grew up in Canada.  There was definitely a prevailing sense of security knowing the society you live in will have your back should you fall on hard times, become disabled, or need life saving surgery, like I did once.  And not pay a penny for that surgery.  The lack of worry about health insurance I believe does reduce people's day to day stress levels.  The sense of respect it implies for all citizens....I think that makes people happy, to be valued and respected equally.  I am paying for my own insurance here now, and of course there is a high deductible, which adds to my stress level, for sure.  The income spread in Canada is much compressed, but really, who needs that 6,000 sq ft house or yacht or whatever.  I constantly think about how a little bit of income redistribution in the US would improve the lives of many folks.

And of course happiness is more a construct of someone's personality than their situation, apart from extreme poverty.

But you could measure stress levels instead, possibly objectively too through measuring cortisol levels!

My 2 cents.

I am determined to run today!

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

TammyinGP

Tammy, sounds like you are running well and long these days.  Any races coming up?

a few.  (I think we may need to resurrect that Intrepid thread!). April is a 10 mile Pear Blossom run. I was on a streak for this one. Last year should have been my 10th consecutive running of it, but had to miss it for medical reasons. So this year will be my 10th time. And then two wks after that I have a 30K trail race. Two of my favorite annual races are in April  
                        and I want to run faster and stronger in this years edition of the Wild Rogue Relay so now that I'm up to about a 13 mile long run and can run comfortably for 2+ hrs, it's time to get in some faster pace work.

Tammy

Marathon Maniac #957

Howdy folks!

Interesting reading here today.  I know that when I fill out the Wellness Assessment for our insurance wellness program, the questions related to happiness or stress or health are all correlated to work productivity, as in, "How many days have you missed in the last month due to your stress?"

No run for me today, just 36 times across the pool (900 yards)

I often see the same birds on or near the river path where I run - the odd ones standing out enough to recognize them, like the two white geese who mated with Canada geese and their little family groups of calico offspring.  The last year or two, I have occasionally noticed a strange looking duck on the river, black head with white wings/back.  It always looked a bit lonely, just on the fringe of the regular huge gaggle of geese and raft of ducks on the water.   Yesterday I was amazed to see this bird joined by a large group of its own kind, maybe 50 or so birds, about half of them this black and white and the other half (likely the females) a quiet brown.  Pretty cool.

Happy Spring!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

...mornin'....

......we need an

International Jay Appreciation Day...........I'd say he's earned it

==============

....60s here, and windy

50-min HH on GreenWay with 2-lb handweights

hopefully a double tomorrow

...........................good running guys

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Dave59

...mornin'....

......we need an

International Jay Appreciation Day...........I'd say he's earned it

==============

+1

Being a someone who seems to feel depressed and/or anxious for no reason I read a lot about happiness. I like to see what I might be missing,   I like Aristotle's idea that you can't tell if someone was happy until they are old or gone.  Happiness is a life long pursuit of virtue. (Virtue was not what we generally think of, but it was a life of contemplation.)  Happiness in today's world is more an emotion or a pleasant feeling.  Anyway, I got a shelf of books on it if you need anything.  They don't do me much good.

I am suspicious of surveys about health or happiness. Did you ever read how they come up with the rankings of healthiest cities?  They look at how many gyms, parks, and fast food restaurants there are. They don't review anyone's health.

Workout wise, nothing for me today. I am a bit messed up. On Saturday night, Cindy woke up around 1:45 AM and couldn't get back to sleep.  All her trashing around kept me from sleeping, so at 3:00 AM I asked if she just wanted to get on the road. And so we left Tallahassee at 3:20 AM to head home.  The trip was went well despite a 30 minute wait in Kentucky.  Luckily it came right after a pit stop and we were only an hour and a half from home so it didn't bother me much.  I hate being stuck on the road when hours of driving still lay ahead.

Travel time: 13 hours and 10 minutes.

Today I am tired, and my head and throat hurt.  I am working from home just enough to get caught up from the week away.

A new donut place opened around here yesterday (Paradise Donuts).  I went and tried a regular glazed, a chocolate glazed, and a chocolate iced cream filled.  All were pretty good. If I feel well enough to go to the office tomorrow I will stop there to get some for the office and see what they think.  None for me though. I think I may be donuted-out for a few days.  3 of them was a bit much.  I'm not as young as I used to be when a dozen would have been no problem.

catwhoorg

Labrat

5 slow miles for me.

5K  20:23  (Vdot 48.7)   9/9/17

10K  44:06  (Vdot 46.3)  3/11/17

HM 1:33:48 (Vdot 48.6) 11/11/17

FM 4:13:43 (Vdot 35.4) 3/4/18