Masters Running

Sundays run and favorite comics Aug 15th (Read 393 times)

Slo

Wow,

Ya'll are sleeping in or getting some really long runs in.

I would have liked to sleep in. I had to squeeze my long run in before coming to work.

2hrs, 19 mins.......estimating 16.5 miles. I'm encouraged. I've really been struggling to get my long runs in.....but after a difficult start and almost turning around to go home I ended up feeling like I could have kept running....and I would have except I had to come into work today. Just the lift I needed.......I know I won't be setting any records at the Twin Cities but now at least I feel like I can do it in a respectable time.

And as far as Sunday Funnies go......I really miss Bloom County.

........I had a day like that too........

they locked our track due to Vandalism

so I changed into my Trail Boots,

and drove across the road

the trails were still slick from a late thunderstorm

then

my hamstring  popped me 10-minutes into the run.

between the hip, mud, and TALL uncut grass

a 20min Balancing Act,

and

came home looking like I took 2nd Place in a PigThrowingContest.......

strangely,

I enjoyed being able to do it.

......................good running guys................play in the mud every so often.......

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Slo

They locked up our H.S. track too when they put the new rubberized surface down.
          Sorry about all the locked tracks guys, bummer

TW! You are awesome and yup, beats working most days.

((((Denise and Family))))

17.4 miles with miles 11-17 at 7:16 pace---overcast and somewhat humid with a nice breeze.

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

Nice long runs Slo and Karin!

I guess LR's are good after 20:XX 5K's... geesh you guys are amazing!

For some reason I had an EZ sproinky 4 miler today with 8:48 pace.  Compared to yesterday's14 mile death march this was really a surprise!

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

BlazinCajun

Long runs by Slo_Hand, CNYrunner.

TomWhite - Sorry about your hammie and Congratulations on "2nd Place in a PigThrowingContest......."

Perchcreek - nice 5K time yesterday

Would have posted earlier but did not want to be first.

Ran 8 miles early and picked up daughter at mail box at 6:30am and drove to Savannah Rapids Pavillion for a run along the Augusta Canal for her scheduled long run of 6 miles. 14 easy building miles done.

I've have two racks of ribs that I've been marinating for 24 hours that I'll be smoking for dinner tonight - about 3hrs.

Have a great Sunday

Andrew
              ------------------
              God, my Lord, is my strength;
              he makes my feet swift as those of hinds
              and enables me to go upon the heights.
              Hb 3:19

Perhaps some relationship building with the track coach is in ordr.
                Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM
                OrangeMat

MM #6177

So how far does one have to throw a pig to win second place?

7.15 miles in the park, the first 5 on my own and somewhat speedy: I even passed 4 other runners! Usually I'm lucky to even pass the walkers... Then I met up with my running partner and did a couple more miles with her at a more relaxed pace. Felt very good to do that. She kept going but I figured it was wise not to go further than 7ish, considering I've already passed 40+ miles for the week. You'd think I was training for a marathon or something.

Have a good day, everyone!

Hasn't been a good week for my running.  Very sore hamstring on Monday, after a great week of running, I  had to stop after 2.9 miles & walk back. Frustrating because it was a total surprise.   Wednesday I had to go to my summer cross country series & had actually forgot about the sore hammy until I started to warm up.  Finished in 15:08 (1.9 miles) following 13:30 2 weeks earlier.  Used the eliptical Thursday & Saturday w/Friday a  rest day.  Easy run today it felt OK , hopefully it will be ready to race again Wednesday. 

Nice run Slo_Hand ! You're are runnin real well

It's a shame they had to close the track because of vandalism.

tom,   2nd place at the pig throwing contest, congratulations   

Karin as always makes it sound so easy.

Courage ! Do one brave thing today...then run like hell.

Bonk!

That was the sound at mile 10.5 on my long run today. Set out to do 12 but quit after 11 and walked it the rest of the way home. I don't think I have ever done that with out being injured before. (maybe you can teach an old dog)

I am not sure what happened but the first 6 or 7 went great until I realised I was getting hungry and I had not eaten breakfast before I left. How do you forget to eat? I had gotten up late because I was out late last night and I guess I was in a hurry to get going before the heat built any more.

AT any rate Between the being out to late , the beer while being out to late , no breakfast and the H&H  I decided 11 was enough and called it quits. I just couldn't get the legs moving again..

The Far Side always cracks me up. That being said I have not read a Sunday paper in months. After our local paper went down to 3 days a week I canceled delivery and get most of my news from the web I guess. 

Nice runs everybody,

Larry

Chumbawamba: I get knocked down But I get up again You're never going to keep me down

evanflein

Larry, that sounds like my first attempt at a 20 miler a couple weeks ago. Crash and burn, baby. I'm about to head out again, getting a way-too late start... Record high temps predicted here for us today (but then again, for us that means 85) but I'll be out in the full sun today, trying to avoid the trails till my foot is over that root incident the other day.

I'm not sure where the locked track comes in here? Ours are locked to keep the four-wheeler idiots off them, but there's usually a "people door" you can slip through. They're used by runners of all sorts all summer long. Just gotta keep the punks with 4-wheelers off 'em. Same problem with the bikepaths... gravel strewn all over them from the ATVs. I hate it.

On our school track the people door is locked too.   And the gate I used to squeeze through - well they tightened the chain there.

A long run is still a long run even if it is a bonker.  You all are still winners in my eyes.

I found that park I was looking for yesterday.  Hardly anyone there.  Very convoluted trails but well marked.  Very rocky and rooty but not much incline.  I had to really really watch my step.

I started to die after 3 miles from the heat.  It was about 80F and the last trail I chose was in direct sunlight.  Now don't laugh, once upon a time I would hit the gym any temperature above 65F.  So I am making progress and accclimating somewhat to the heat.  94F predicted for Monday.

Popcorn and wine?  I prefer Cheesies and wine, much more chic!

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Marathon Maniac #957

Some nice runs going on in the heat today.  Like Enke says, it's still a LR, even if it's a bonk.  And even if it's slower than you would like.

This morning's run didn't go as smoothly as I would have liked.  After 3 miles, my MP3 player died (apparently I didn't turn it off yesterday).  I was deep into my latest audio book, Rough Waters, by John Sandford, and couldn't bear the thought of a 20 mile run in silence, so I ran back home (3 more miles), plugged it into the charger and ran 3 miles on the TM watching another eposode of Defying Gravity while it charged, then back outside for another 10 miles, then 1.4 more miles on the TM so I could finish the eposode.

20.4 miles total, 76 degrees and 97% at the start, 84 degrees when I finished, ave running pace 10:16.  Choppy and slow, but it's done.  If nothing else, I'm building a nice base here.  Oddly, the heat didn't feel too bad, due to the slight breeze and overcast sky for most of the run.

I filled an empty wather bottle with sugar free lemonade an a tablespoon of chia seeds for my run.  Strangely, I really like the semi-jellied crunchy texture of the chia seeds in a beverage - sort of like tiny crunchy jelly beans.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Marathon Maniac #957

I can't get this thing to post right, and don't have time to fuss with it any more.  Darn kids are starting world war 3 upstairs....guess it's time for me to intervene go up and scream at them...(sigh)

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Nice runnin,' everybody.

An easy 6 for me today, a little under 9 m/m. Wasn't up for a LR; still got my 40 in.
                                Walt