Masters Running

Race Reports for the 5/11&12 weekend (Read 16 times)

Mariposai

Wishing our intrepid racers a fun weekend.

Ohh, and after you have all that fun, please remember that we enjoy reading your race reports Smile

05/11 TammyinGP - Tough As Nails 10 mile, Medford, OR

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

spinach

Last night (Friday) I had a race or something similar to a race. The Move & Groove 5k. It was a beautiful day for a run, especially since we had a good deal of snow on Wednesday night and Thursday morning. The race or run was a program the YMCA from St Cloud, MN has done for fr about a decade where they have a very large group of people from the area to run several times during the  year. this one  had about 1300 people who had a good fun activity that many of them probably didn't do they had a good exercise.

The route was a little short, only about 3 miles, and the times were recorded. My time was 19:30 and i finished about 12th. We had a beautiful evening for the run with a short run for children and a shorter route (2 miles)  for people who might find 3 miles too far or for people who wanted to only walk. I enjoy the runs/races the YMCA puts on since we have so many people who are starting to do some exercise.  They have come with a great idea, I just hope more could try it and start to stay healthy.

TammyinGP

speedy run Spinach!  I may have mentioned it before, but both my parents grew up in Princeton and my dad attended SCSU and my mom went to SC Beauty College. 

I ran the Tough As Nails 10 mile trail run today.  There's a 5K option also but it's really only about 2.8 and I'm not about to drive almost 50 miles for a short race. I need to spend more time on the trails than I do driving to get there. this is the 2nd time I've run the 10 miler. The first time, 2017, it was 11.3 miles but i heard the course was changed to be a true 10 miler and it was . 

It started at 9 a.m. and it was already at least 70 degrees. Probably 75% of this course is dry, dusty trails that is fully exposed so I knew it would be slow. But even if weather was cooler, I'd still be slow because it's alot of climbing. almost 1700 ft of elev gain in total. Miles 7-9 are the most difficult as you are climbing to the top of Roxy Ann Peak. I say "peak" loosely though because it's not like this is  a mountain, but it's a pretty big, steep hill. tops out about 3550 ft, starts at 2800 and has a few declines that take you to a low point of about 2500 I'd guess.

aid stations were good and there were 3 in total. well, I guess only 2 because one of them you hit a second time.  At the A/S at mile 7, right before you begin a 2 mile climb up to the top, I got sprayed down with some icey water that felt great and had a cup of beer which tasted pretty darn good too. 

As I was coming down the hill with about a mile to go, I noticed a gal sitting down on a sort of steep embankment off the trail and asked if she was okay. she tripped on a rock and flew off the trail and landed down about 6 ft off the trail but it was just steep enough that she couldn't get back up on her own because she really hurt her knee. I stopped to help her back up on the trail and she hobbled a bit but said she'd make it back down by walking. about 1/3 mile ahead there was a course volunteer, so I sent him up to help her and he did. When i got to the finish line, the RD had already heard about her and announced to everyone that when she came through to all rally and cheer her in. this is one of the reasons I adore trail races and trail runners. Not only did everyone cheer her on but several made a human tunnel for her to walk through and she got the biggest applause for toughing it out and finishing the race.  She was promptly brought a chair, ice packs and a beer 

I finished in about 2:10 I think. results aren't up yet and I didn't check my time after the race. it was a beautiful day out on the trails and so many colorful wild flowers were in bloom. i was thinking of stopping to get pics of the wildflowers because they were really spectacular but seems each time I passed by a meadow with lots of flowers, that is when the trail was flatter/easier so that's when I wanted to keep going. 

Image may contain: tree, sky, plant, outdoor and nature

Image may contain: mountain, sky, tree, outdoor and nature

then I came home and ran another mile with the dogs. Bella was quite happy about that, even if it was almost 90 degrees by the time I got home. 
        Image may contain: dog

Tammy

Nice!

"I didn’t run a race until I was 41 and that was a marathon! Let that sink in for a minute." -me