Masters Running

sunday 8/2 runs (Read 431 times)

The heat and humidity seems to be taking its toll on my calves and quads. Feels like they are tired all the time. See what tomorrow brings. 5 miles today easy. Looking for news on Ribs ?
      Humidity finally broke around here, did a 12 mile trail run along abandoned RR tracks & power line firebreaks....it felt great (I needed this after almost a month of humid shlogging) Lots of nice long runs, everybody.....now, off to nap-ville.

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

Perch, are those the same hills that were a problem before?
        Those are the same ones I bonked on last weekend!

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

'Ribs had a pretty good day yesterday and was up to the chair most of the day and ate his first meal. Slow progress. A bit of pain but better controlled by nighttime. The Saint was with him until ~10pm...Hopefully better each day. Send your good vibes for the man! {{spareribs}} ---------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------------- I biked to the track (2.5 miles) for some tempo-ish 800M's and quick/strong 200M's 8 miles in total 1 mile w/u-jog first 2 laps then pick it up on the straights and jog the turns x 2 laps 6x800M-followed by jog/walk of 200M in 2minutes 1:35/36=3:11 1:31/34=3:05 1:31/34-3:05 1:33/34=3:07 1:32/35=3:07 1:33/35=3:08 5 minutes rest/gatorade break jog 1 mile easy stretch 6x200M-followed by walk/jog of 200M in 2 minutes 38.9 39.0 37.8 39.0 37.8 37.8 biked 2.5 miles home pretty hot and sunny but it feels good to be alive and well (I will not take it for granted) Have a nice night folks.
          busiman

Running out of mistakes!

Nice runs AND races! PRs are always inspirational and fun to read! I'm going to go read some RR next... Tramps, I've experimented and ended up with GU as the only thing that works consistently for me in races. Long runs I can me more casual. perchcreek, those are some serious hills! Dale, 800s are definitely my favorite length. When doing longer I start to lose count :-P I finished a strong training week with with a 19-miler today for my long run and really enjoyed the great weather (hot, but not punishing). Most was at 7-7:30 pace, but for at least 8 I pushed well under marathon pace. I was expecting it to measure 16 miles, but the map showed over 19, so my legs are definitely responding well to recent training. Enjoy the remainder of your weekend! Craig {{spareribs}}
            -2009 running goals - sub-3 after Boston (probably VCM), 3 PRs, 2009 miles for the year, and no untreated injuries
            also on Twitter
              fjordrunner I have some friends from Finland. They love swimming in the water up there and then going into a sauna. I am using the word swimming very loosely here. Mostly it is hopping in, screaming and then running out. Me? I think you are all crazy! The water is freezing! Holly S hey if slow works, slow works! Keep it up and keep it easy. DickyG Smile You must work for my editor. I like auto racing too but must admit to just watching the starts and finish on TV. I never realized you could hear the pit crews with a scanner! I am guessing that is what it is for. Jlynne like Holly whatever works works so just keep doing it. Sarge nice that you got a chance to run with DW. Good luck with the 5K on Wednesday and keeping the hamstring under control. Tramps great long (17 mile) run with some really nice progression work embedded in. Sounds like the faster every couple miles might be a really good training idea. Peter NC another nice 17 mile run. berger1 give me two 5K races in two days rather than any TM run! Nice that you could pull out 4 after yesterday's race. perchcreek good high mileage (20) run for you too. Getting a chance to run a marathon course for part of the route must be quite neat. stumpy77 if the knee feels good then it was a good run. hallar welcome to the Sunday long run club today! lyndenrunner yep it does look like somebody announced all runners must run long today! Nice job on your long run too. CNYrunner you just keep racking up the miles this summer! 21+ today! dg. sounds like a nice route in great conditions. mirko good luck with the muscle soreness tomorrow after today's 5 in the H&H. Walt.RB 12 along an abandoned railroad tracks sounds pretty cool. Glad to hear they are abandonded! Smile dtoce nice interval workout! Also, I am guessing the humidity was way down in your area of CT from yesterday so be happy for heat and low humidity! I know I am. Yesterday and a little from the day before mainerunnah hope you had a great race! Just saw! Wahoo on the time! Congratulations! nonoruns alas, as I am discovering, not every race can be a PR. Sad Still since the real point is just personal entertainment and since you accomplished that you won in my book! Mariposai glad you could get out for 10 officially approved miles! Wow what an offer too! Posting here pays better than I could have ever imagined! You bet I will write! hallar nice 8, easy or not. Dave59 10 miles yesterday may have helped get the sluggish out of your legs prior to the Crim in three weeks. Just keep training and all will hopefully come together for you. busiman nice quick pace yesterday. Hope you managed to make it out for what is apparently national long run day. BCMorant no harm in bonking on a training run! Sort of what they are for. HandyMom amen to your view of the weather! pfriese nice start to a triathlon training program! Smile Mtnchk1 nice 10+ miler. TammyinGP without a Garmin I too find it hard to figure out how long I have run. The hills also make any run seem a lot longer. enkephalin on course blackberry tasting! Must be sweet! Or at least it sounds like it will be in a few more days or a week! Big grin Teresadfp another one with a 10K PR from yesterday! Very nice! biketm good 10 miler. I hope those new shoes arrive soon. evanflein another racer with a PR yesterday! Great job. Twocat oh that would be me! Yesterday was another odd distance local race this on 5.85 miles. Well as I noted above not every race can be a PR. My pace was off about 15 seconds/mile from last year. My two "rivals" totally smoked me! Bummer as I thought I might get them this week after how close we were last week. My DW said I looked pretty ashen after the race. Guess whatever was going on it was not my day to be fast. But there is next week's race! I plan to be there and be fast! Smile Today I ran with my DW. I had hoped to talk her into 8 miles but after 7 she said she had it and headed up the hill for home. I kept going and finished up the 8. Apparently I missed the memo about today being national long run day so instead I have it scheduled on either Monday (unlikely) or Wednesday (likely) with my TP. As to my DW, it is tough for her to do a race one day (yesterday she ran it too) and then her long run the next day (today) so I understand. I am still hoping to talk her into trying to do her long run midweek rather than Sunday to spread out her distance work somewhat.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

#artbydmcbride

Wow Tramps, great pacing! Smile I got to meet the famous Millbot yesterday. Today is mine and Mr. Forward's 20th wedding anniversary. We already celebrated with a trip to Mexico luckily, because work has been keeping him busy lately.

Runners run

dg.

Those are the same ones I bonked on last weekend!
                  Yes Yes Yes dale, thanks for the update. oh, i covet your numbers. one amazing run/workout after another. Ilene, happy anniversary! such a great picture Smile. I've been working on a new planting bed, & just poured out the rest of a bag of mulch i'd left in the yard last night. along with the mulch, out slid a frog. Smile. {{{ spareribs }}}
                    ...dg//......did you Name Your Frog???? ===== ......any Old Runners wanna throw in some tips over at KR, I'm looking for ''Strategies for Our Sixities'' feel free to share your Plans for Down The Road...... http://www.kickrunners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=34945

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Sunday - 8.34 Miles - 1:09:32 - (8:20) - This was a nice easy recovery run, a bit humid with showers during our run and we could hear the thunder in the distance.l..but we got it done! I could really feel the hamstrings and the quads from yesterdays effort. Hey how ya doing ribs? Hope all is well.
                      lamerunner

Helllo all, Happy August. Nine mile easy recovery run on the Massabesic Rail trail today. Humid and a little buggy but not hot. Longer than usual for a recovery run for me. yesterday was long run day, 18 miles at around 8:30 pace with a couple of friends. Relatively flat except for the 4 mile hill.( !) Much of the route was on dirt roads, nice change of pace. Very humid and a bit warm though. hope Spareribs is doing well.
                        pfriese

Good afternoon, No running today, just bicycling. Out early for a long bicycle ride with youngest DD. From far southwest OKC to Guthrie, a ride of 51.5 miles. Original destination was Stillwater (~85 miles), but with triple digit temperatures by noon, we opted to cut the ride down to ~50miles. DW picked us up in Guthrie and we went on to Stillwater for Eskimo Joes burgers & fries. Have a great week. Paul
                            Congrats Ilene! You look fabulous in the photo, as does fellow beside you. Tramps, amazing run Perch, amazing run... wow. Lots of long runs today....glad I can join the crowd. I did the horse trails. Nice and soft, some climbing, but not ridiculous. Not many roots or rocks so normal running shoes work just fine. Figured out a 4 mile loop to do, then I did it 4 times, breaking at the car to drink drink drink. 4 x 4 = 16. Smile I waffled between a plan to try and 1) run the first three loops slow, and the last one fast, or 2) make each loop a little faster than the last, especially the last mile of each loop which has a net dowhill and is really nice and wide. Loop 1 12:05, 11:00*, 11:18, 10:35 (avg 11:15) Loop 2 12:19, 11:29, 11:23, 9:46 (1 second faster??) Loop 3 11:40, 10:38, 10:23, 9:26 (10:32 pace) Loop 4 10:57, 9:51, 10:14, 9:11 (10:03 pace) * this mile I ran on a different, much flatter route. So by the end I was running more than1 min/mile faster than the first two loops. I was stoked!! And felt great till about the second last mile when the perceived effort seemed to suddenly shoot up.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

TammyinGP

so many nice long runs today! I'm envious. I am taking a rest day today, but might take my dogs for a walk later this evening when it cools down. My right heel has been mumbling at me the last several times I've gone running. I know I'm on the last few miles of my shoes and my new ones should be arriving tomorrow, so I'm anxious to try them out and see if they make a difference or if maybe I am having the beginning symptoms of some PF in my heel. Hopefully, it's just the need for new shoes. dickyg - we are nascar fans as well. My DH has been in the racing world since he was about 11 or 12. Was a dirt track sprint car racer in his teens and early 20's and is now a tuner for a blown alcohol altered drag car. As a surprise for his 50th bday I gave him a Nascar weekend in Phoenix. That was a lot fun. Would love to go to Indy someday too

Tammy

Tramps

Oops. Nothing to see here. Move along. Wink

Be safe. Be kind.