Masters Running

Oct. 7 Master Runs and Workouts (trying to run like Karin!) (Read 501 times)

Yeah, as if. 

This morning was the last real speed workout of this training cycle.  Tinman asked for 10 miles with 4 x 1 mile at 10K pace (7:40ish), 3 minutes jog recovery.

After a rest day and then two days of 3.5 mile recovery jogs, the legs were ready to go today.  Warmed up for 3 miles then started the mile repeats.  I just kept telling myself to pretend I was Karin.  (Man, is that a stretch.  She's maybe 100 lbs soaking wet, I'm 177.  She's maybe 5' 2" [guessing here], I'm 6' 3".  She's blazin' fast, I'm stuck in 3rd gear.)

She just ran 26.2 miles at 7:38 pace and I ran the repeats at 7:51, 7:42, 7:39, and 7:36.  A good workout for me.  I felt strong throughout, though I was glad to be done.

Karin, you are something!

I'm as ready as I am going to be. Unfortunately some real life and work stresses are threatening to disrupt my race from a mental perspective. Trying to get through them without unduly messing me up.

Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Morning, gang!

At least Breeger is up early this morning. 

Leslie - yes, I've read most of King's books.  The Stand is one of my favorites, and the movie actually did it justice.  I'm a Sinise fan as well - loved him in Forest Gump  and recently started watching him in CSI reruns. 

dg - shame on you for letting that tomato go bad.....;-).  How's the taper going??

Holly - I have my fingers crossed that the knee is just a taper madness manifestation and nothing serious. 

It's pretty nice temp wise here this morning - low 60's - but we have rain and high winds, so I opted for the treadmill.  Easy 7 miles @ 10:06 pace and 145 AHR. 

DH and I ate our way through the Big E (New England State Fair) last Friday.   The traditional cream puffs along with Vermont cider donuts and apple pie with Cabot cheddar cheese and a stuffed baked potato from Maine.   We also had a scrumptious woodfired breakfast pizza from a vendor in the Connecticut building - awesome pizza with sausage, ham, bacon, eggs, and cheese.  I'm drooling at the thought of it.........  It was kind of the last hurrah before the taper and reduced calorie intake. 

Good runs all!

Sue Running is a mental sport...and we're all insane! Anonymous

DH and I ate our way through the Big E (New England State Fair) last Friday.   The traditional cream puffs along with Vermont cider donuts and apple pie with Cabot cheddar cheese and a stuffed baked potato from Maine.   We also had a scrumptious woodfired breakfast pizza from a vendor in the Connecticut building - awesome pizza with sausage, ham, bacon, eggs, and cheese. 

Sue, you're killing me this morning! I'm scheduled to have a colonoscopy tomorrow and I'm on a clear liquid diet starting at breakfast today. I'm starving and just barely into this wonderful adventure.I'm eating vicariously through all of you today - don't let me down!

Tough workout this morning Bill, but have confidence in yourself (we all do!) You're going to do great.

Really windy and damp this morning so I wimped out and went to the Y to run on the treadmill. 5 miles, 9:15 pace. This was my first time on a treadmill since last spring and I forgot how much I don't like it.

Eliz - glad you're feeling better.

Teresa - belated congrats on your half. Nice going!

Slo - how is your shin feeling?

Holly - how is your knee? Hope it was just a "twinge," like you thought.

Off to work (with no lunch )

Have a good day good people.

Marathon Maniac #957

Bill – I was fortunate enough to run WITH Karin today, if not LIKE Karin....I hope your life/work stresses get resolved for you soon.  Nice repeats, each faster than the next.  What kind of recovery interval do you put between those?

Sue - those fairs are amazing in their food choices....I think I gained a few lbs just reading your description...

Jlynne - you have my sympathy.  My DH didn't have to be on a liquid diet the day before his, he just had to drink that nasty stuff and "eliminate."

Deez4boyz - when is your HM?

4.53 easy-paced miles (ave 9:36) in a blustery 50°.   As usual the run was far too short as we chattered happily, catching up with news since our last meeting.  Even in recovery, Karin is quite fleet-footed.

The good news is that the knee seems fine today, although I think I will forego tomorrow’s tempo and just do some MP.  I don’t want to push my luck, this close to the race.  Not much I could do at this point to help, but a lot I could do to harm.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Renee the dog

Woefully behind here.  I am back out on the roads and boardwalk running -- 8 yesterday another 4 today. Sinuses haven't calmed down yet.  ITB is being manageable for now, so I'm quite relieved.  I'm trying to read all the race reports as they are posted.  For those who reported things here in the daily, please excuse my blanket: Congratulations! as I've been unable to read the daily since the beginning of the weekend.   Where are my priorities???  I promise to straighten myself out soon.

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

RCG

Rose Colored Glasses

0606. 66°F. 88% RH.

8 miles. Average pace: 9:28

3 x 1 mile.

effort one: 8:53

effort two: 8:49

effort three: 8:35

Very happy with this.

Hey Liz!  Before you go to NC... go to The Mall and see the Solar Decathlon!

We are heading up there on Saturday, home on Sunday.

(I almost posted a picture but it was huge)

Byll, nice running!

Holly and CNY, nice running!

Sue.  I want that food.  Say, how's CT treating you?

Jlynne, hope everything comes out all right!

Hiya Tramps. Sad that we will miss you and Mrs Tramps.

"Anytime you see the word "inflation" in the news, replace it with "record-breaking corporate profits" and you'll get what's happening."

Slo

Slo - how is your shin feeling?

Thanks for asking......unfortunately.....Not Good

It may be time to go see a Doctor. There has been no improvement....actually (even though I'm not running) things may be even worse. I'm pretty convicned that I have stress fracture.  I'm limping by the end of the day.

I had no warning that anything was impending. The pain just struck. If there is any swelling it is very little....I can't tell. There is one tender spot on the lower inside of my shin and another spot that is not tender but gets easily agitated and is the reason for the limp at days end.

Cycling, the ellipitical and swimming gives me no pain.

Tramps

SLO—so sorry about the shin. It’ll be good to find out what’s up.  BTW, your posting strategy from yesterday is very clever.

Deez—have you checked your messages here?  (The little envelope under your name.)  I left you one a couple days ago about BayState.

Byll—yeah, the significance of those paces is really driven home when you actually try to run a few near that pace!  Hang in there on the mental game.  Race day, your mind will be clear and focused.

Holly—9:36 is actually a normal pace; you lucked out catching her right after the marathon.  When she was here I was gasping for air the whole time while trying to pretend I could keep up comfortably. 

Well, I apparently did pull something yesterday.  Still tender/sore this morning.  It’s not the usual hamstring at the back of the leg but it’s something hamstring-like more towards the inside thigh (but still towards the back…if that makes any sense).  Looks like I’ll have to learn the name of another body part, which is always bad news for me.

I ran 3 easy untimed miles testing it.  It didn’t get better, but it didn’t get worse either so I’ll just have to play it by ear.  It’s mild, though, so I’m cautiously optimistic.

Be safe. Be kind.

Mariposai

Great fun to see Karin and Holly running together. Your gal's easy pace is my speed pace Smile

You are so ready for that marathon bregarcito. Great run today.

Yesterday afternoon I got a job interview for a per diem medical interpreting position at a hospital down the valley form us. They offer me the job, and I start new employee orientation today. Funny, I helped them start their interpreting department many years ago. This job  is just a few hours an evening a couple of nights a week...not the full time job I am looking for, but it will help pay the bills.

6 easy miles with la luna and the starts as company.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Yikes, Tramps!  I sure hope this isn't too bad.

Rest day for me today -- ran 5 yesterday and I had some slight recovery issues, so I'm being careful.

Holly - fun to run *with* Karin -- I only saw her back for a little bit at the start. Smile

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

4 miles at nowhere near Breeger and Karin pace...but it was clear and cool at 38 degrees...

Congrats on the job Mariposai...It's a start

Looking for a place to Happen, making stops along the way - The Hip
                        Teresadfp

One day at a time

"Trying to run like Karin."  Wow, what a concept!  I can run like that only in my dreams!  Good workout, Bill!  "Stuck in 3rd gear" - good description for us back-of-the-packers.  That's exactly what it feels like!  3rd gear is better than park, though, right??  That's where I was for the first 44 years of my life.  :-)

Very rainy, windy day here, so I will use it as a rest day.

Marathon Maniac #957

RCG – nice mile repeats.  Like Breger, each mile faster than that last.

Slo – bummer!

Tramps – where the inside thigh meets the back of the leg?  Could it be gracilis tendon?  That’s what I had trouble with last year.

Nono – I was wondering how you were doing.

Mariposai – good news!  (even though it’s not a complete solution)

Teresa - I agree.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Let's get shirts that read "I want to run with Karin!"  and then on the back, "Where'd she go?"

The Big E!  Haven't thought about that in years.  Thanks, Sue!

Yes, I'm sorry, but I must have spaced on your marathon, Bryll.  Tell more, and hoping things get into better allignment.

Tramps, be careful, and SLO, sorry sorry--time for the doc, you're right.

Hi nono and good luck Jlynne.  Can you chew gum at least?

Barb, tell the Rocket Scientist to plan to drop a screw someplace on that rocket around Oct. 21, you know, someplace where he can easily retrieve it on oh, say, Oct. 26. 

Good runs today folks!  and thanks for the greeting yesterday, Carolyn.

grins,

A

ps: good taking it easy, Hollybelle.

ps:  I am living in a very place right now, sort of midway between the Twinnies and the Rockies [see, I am going no where remotely near that game with the non-round ball.] 

Masters 2000 miles

Marathon Maniac #957

Let's get shirts that read "I want to run with Karin!"  and then on the back, "Where'd she go?"

I could say the same thing about running with you, though, Amy.

I haven't forgotten the meet-up next year.  October in Minneapolis, right?  DH was just talking to me last night about how to earn some extra fly miles for the trip.  Barring unforeseen stuff, you can count me in.