Masters Running

Wednesday Jay-less Daily Thread 4-26-17 (Read 33 times)

Tramps

Good morning.

Apparently, Jay’s sleeping in today so you’ll have to actually read yesterday’s thread.

Did you notice we have a new Holly on the intro thread?  I hope Hollyruns31 comes to play on the daily thread, too.  Welcome!

Interesting little story this morning on NPR about the growth of marathons in China…and the hiccups they’ve had.

TriBee was travelling early today so I was up and out at nearly Jay o’clock this morning.  I ran 6.5 miles and threw in 2x1 fast miles to see how the knee would react.  It seemed to do okay but I won’t know until later today where this falls on the 1-10 scale of dumb.  I blame the shoes for my irrational exuberance.  I retired a pair yesterday so today was new shoes day! Of course, I did the new shoes dance this morning.

And for the record, this round I’m rooting for Blues, Oilers, Sens, and Caps.  A lot of underdogs there.  And, prediction: whoever wins that Caps/Pens series will win the Cup.

Be safe. Be kind.

Marathon Maniac #957

Tramps - love the new shoes dance!  

Dan - well done on the weight loss!

Well, my back/flank pain is somewhat better today, so I guess it's no core work at all until it completely resolves so I don't make it flair up again.

4.3 miles for me this morning on the TM.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

2.6 miles outside- sunny and nice.   1.6 more after work- treadmill.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

dg.

Tramps!     now how am I supposed to get any work done?   :  )

I hope your run gets rated as dumb lite.

Holly I'm glad you're feeling a little better..   was really hoping it wasn't your kidneys.

Erika did the Saucony's bite?

I hope some of you know me well enough to know that I didn't think my new track buddie's description was accurate!  It still doesn't make sense. My pace was about 9:30, which is good for me but awful for most everybody else.   My toes only bend about 20% so I even walk weird.   I can't see why he'd be mean enough to just make fun of me.  though that's possible. & Erika, ain't no way he was hitting on me.   Oh well.  I've been so discouraged for a while now, & wasn't kidding about being embarrassed yesterday (though I know that's stupid), that it was a lift regardless.

Today just a blissed out walk , finally spring, & lots of pt type exercising.

Jay ...hope you're ok,   sending hammie hugs.

...dg//.....if you think he was being mean,

give us his address and we'll drive over and Smack Him Around a little.......

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Marathon Maniac #957

Dg - He meant it!  We are all our own worst critics, but while you were seeing all the things you were doing wrong, he was seeing the things you were doing right.

I could watch that video all day....

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

....love the Charlie Chaplin clip.......

============

..20-min X-bike standing

and

40-min PoolRun with belt

..............good running to ya

dg.

...dg//.....if you think he was being mean,

give us his address and we'll drive over and Smack Him Around a little.......

hey tw that was quite a workout!

when is your trip w/DB?

Thanks Holly....     running was ok?

me too, re the clip!

it's so nice out I keep thinking of excuses to go out to my car.

Carolyn, nice 15, to 'ease your way back' to running & altitude.   !

..first, I .got a 15-hour Pharmacy CE this weekend .......ugh......

then

fly out Tuesday morning......have to get up at 3-AM to make it to the airport......Double Ugh

Dave59

Nothing for me yesterday or today. I hadn't been feeling very good. I went to the doc-in-box today because it sure felt like something was wrong in my ears & throat but they are ok. 

I mentioned my eye issues of last week (which are still lingering) and it turns out to be a stye. Doc gave me some cream and I am supposed to pull out my lower eyelid and stick some down in there.   I'll give it a try, but I doubt I'll have much success.  Jamming a finger full of ointment into my eye doesn't sound like something I have the capability to do.  With luck, I'll accidentally get some in the right place.

catwhoorg

Labrat

5 at lunch for me.

The days of 6 mile lunch runs are gone for the duration of the summer. Just getting too durn hot for me to keep the pace in the low 9.x range

Today was high 9.x s, but there have been some days of 10.x  already

5K  20:23  (Vdot 48.7)   9/9/17

10K  44:06  (Vdot 46.3)  3/11/17

HM 1:33:48 (Vdot 48.6) 11/11/17

FM 4:13:43 (Vdot 35.4) 3/4/18

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

..first, I .got a 15-hour Pharmacy CE this weekend .......ugh......

then

fly out Tuesday morning......have to get up at 3-AM to make it to the airport......Double Ugh

I thought you were retired?  Still keeping your hand in?  Happy fishing trip.

Took DW and our neighbors to a very nice restaurnat for DW's birthday last night.  Ate VERY well, inlcuidng cake and ice cream.  So, on top of that, since it was pouring this morning, I gave up my 8 miles.  Not exactly going into my race on a high note

Wasn't Holly's old handle something like that?  I first thought she was resurecting it to confuse all the old people.  So welcome to the latest Holly.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!

Well...I'm in trouble.  My right heel is hurting pretty bad.  After limping around on it all day yesterday, I came home, soaked in the tub while massaging both calves pretty thoroughly, then applied ice for awhile, and hoped it would feel better today.  Nope.  I left work early because I am supposed to do a tempo run before going to a confirmation class at church, but there is just no way I can run, today.  I think I'm going to have to give up on doing any quality runs before my marathon and just get by on whatever I am able to do.  I have never DNS'd or DNF'd before...but, if things don't dramatically improve, I might not have a choice for this one.  It's pretty depressing.

Okay--I'm done.  See ya.

Tramps

Mike--sorry to hear the heel's bothering you so much.  However, it seems way too early to be talking DNS or DNF's.

You've got a couple of weeks to back off big-time and give the heel a rest. I know the Hanson plan has a very short taper but adjusting to the realities here seems crucial.  Remember how Erika's heel was bothering her before Phoenix?  But it behaved during the race after having backed off, and she did fine.  You've really trained hard in this cycle and have a lot in the bank already. Yes, you're deviating from the plan, but when the time comes you'll also be extra rested and chomping at the bit to have a good race.  Heal up first.

Be safe. Be kind.

Mike-  it sounds like you have some inflammation.  I would take 2-3 Advil (ibupropen) 3 times a day for a week and see if it knocks it out.  Treat it like a prescription dose.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth