Masters Running

Weekly Newbies (Read 623 times)

Moving us up again. Last thread was getting lengthy. L'swife, I think a running training team is a great idea. If you want to become a better runner, run with better runners. $35 is well worth it. Got a diagnosis on Kim's knee today. Pettella femoral pain syndrome. In other words her knee caps are worn out and in pain. Common among girls her age. I notice it at PT too. Lots of young female athletes there with knee injuries. She has to get better shoes. She runs around in overly worn out skate boarding shoes that dont offer any support at all. I've been trying to make her get new ones but she refuses. Last time I had to throw out her old shoes while she slept forcing her to get new ones. And she has to do 4-6 more weeks of PT and go easy on the running. I hope she is fixed soon so we can get back to training for the 7 sisters trail race. My leg was getting better until I went swimming. Seems that the breast stroke iritated it. So I make one step forward and one back. Hope all is well out there. Laurie

Shamrock marathon March 2016. Burlington full or relay if I can find a partner May 2016. Wine and Dine half Nov. And a tri or two thrown in just for the hell of it.

Me

Hello Everyone, Thanks for moving us up Laurie. I'm sorry that swimming irritated your injury. I would think that swimming would have a different effect than that. Where is everyone? 7 miles for me this afternoon. Cheers, Mike
        Hey Laurie, thanks for the update. Sorry to hear about dd's injury, but it's good to have the diagnosis, and then take it from there. Yeah, you wouldn't think swimming would aggravate your injury Sad Another good run for you, Mike. I thought I ran 7 today, but measured it afterwards and it was about 6.8. Oh well. Still happy. I guess Debbie is under the weather with a tooth thing? Hope you're okay. Greetings to all - Jem
          Hi, all, Jem - love the new avatar! Hope that doesn't mean you'll only be with us until the wind changes. Wink Mike - you're really logging the miles. Congrats. Laurie - sorry to hear you and Kim are still laid up with injuries. I can remember wearing terrible shoes in the name of fashion when I was a kid (and an adult who should have know better), too. I worked a whole summer in a supermarket wearing knock-off topsiders with NO and being in pain the whole time. Sheesh, what was I thinking? Kevin - glad you posted on the monthly miles thread. Jem, you too - if I remember right? And Teresa? I almost didn't post since there were so many with such uber-totals, but I figure any mile run is a good mile. 6.2 beautiful miles for me today - just 20 shy of my first marathon! Wink HA!!!!! It was a quasi-tempo run with the 2 middle miles being close to race pace, although I did take a potty break at mom's during mile 3, so I guess pace doesn't really count, huh? (Sorry for TMI.) Got more scoop on the high school job at the shore that I now definitely really, really want. The person who'd been there for quite some time has already retired and there's a long-term sub in for the rest of the school year, AND they're going to interview for a contracted person for the fall. I'm calling the principal first thing Monday morning to find out the application process. (It's different in NJ than in PA.) Would appreciate any and all good new job vibes. Thanks. Smile Good runs, all, Eliz

flomotioncoaching.com

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

eliz--I always posted. have to have someone in the lower percentiles Wink I'll be down in Stafford, NJ this coming Wednesday. anywhere near where you hang out? Only a day trip, so no chance to run down there. Don't know if you noticed in the daily of yesterday, but DW is up in NH visiting her uncle in the hospital. he was diagnosed with a brain tumor this fall and it has quickly turned to what looks terminal Cry not a very pleasant reason for a trip, but she wanted to see him while he was still a little like she remembered. He was a very energetic guy, so the decline must be awful to see. One of my favorite relatives, even if only by marriage. he was a master electrician who became a bank president, all without the benefit of college. Really smart guy. he helped me a lot with the wiring in our house and I learned an awful lot from him. sad times. On a lighter note, because I am now the adult in charge at home, DD is giving me a little taste of what DW goes through most days. I was at the cross street neighbors for their daughter's birthday party and got a call from her at work--"I need $50 for the cake for the dance team party tonight and I need it now" So off to drop that off and back to the party. 2 hours later, a call from said party, "Can you bring my secret Santa present, I forgot it" (they're a little slow) So off to another delivery. It's a sleepover, so hopefully will be able to sleep early, as I will have to get up at 6am tomorrow to pick her up to go back to work. The good part of that is that I'll get my run in early. Not quite sure I'll be up to Mike and Jem's levels, but will go as long as possible. the knee seems to have been behaving well, but haven't done a whole lot more than my lake loop lately (3.2miles) it's supposed to be pleasant--mid 20's and less wind than today. great totals for several of our group. teresa is kicking the pace bunny's tail. Deb--hope you're recovering from your tooth--I think I must have missed at least part of that--was that the cracked root canal and abscess--or am I confusing you with someone else? (that never happens with me Wink) Laurie--guess we have different opinions about running groupsSmile of course, I'm forming my opinion based on never having run in one. Just seemed that putting a beginner in with a bunch of faster runners with different priorities could be a recipe for rapid discouragement. But I could also see group encouragement being a big help to motivate. Guess I'll sit firmly on the fence Big grin I could see the frog kick being a lot more stressful on sore muscles than the basic flutter kick. happy Sunday to all. Kevin

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Me

Kevin, I will certainly keep your family in my prayers. That is what took my mom in 'o4. Mike
                Happy Sunday to all. I'm praying for your dw's uncle, Kevin. Sounds like a very cool man. So sorry. That's a hard way to go. Sympathies to you, Mike, even though it was a while back. Eliz, praying for that job. WTG on the long run! Debbie, prayers for your tooth (hope that's right - I missed something here, too. Is this how rumors start?). Hope you're feeling not too bad. And prayers for our various injured and ailing. SuperBowl Big Game greetings to all. Jem

Me

Good Afternoon Everyone, Thanks for the prayers Jem. That was a tuff year for us. 6 miles for me this afternoon. I felt nice and relaxed throughout the run. I think taking wednesday off due to the weather helped a little. Enjoy your superbowlbig game partys everyone. Mike
                  Teresadfp

One day at a time

I figure I'm proud of my mileage, so I will post it! When I told folks at church today how much I ran in January, they were very impressed! It's all relative. You have to remember that the runners on this website are pretty diehard! We're doing great. I can tell that for me, because my weight is staying constant even though I'm eating a lot, lol. Good job on the 6.2 miles, Eliz! Same distance I did Friday. A friend at church saw me running it. She wanted to know where I got my bright yellow windbreaker because it was so visible. Thanks for noticing that I'm actually beating the bunny, Kevin! I'm excited, but I know the year has barely started. Good luck with the full-time parenting duties. I'm glad you can do that for your wife. Whenever I leave for a trip, I give DH a list of things that HAVE to be done while I'm gone. Inevitably, when I return he will proudly say, "Well, I got ALMOST all of the things on the list done!" Uh, hon, there really weren't any optional items on there! Roll eyes Have a great week, everyone! Run safely on the ice! Shocked Teresa
                      Kevin, prayers for you and your family. Did you get out today in the rare new england sunshine? My backyard thermometer actually read 60 degrees this afternoon. Eliz, Jem, Mike and Theresa all sound like your runs are doing well. I am jealous of the miles. And in the middle of a rough winter too. Keep it up. Deb, hows the leg? Scratch what I said about swimming. At least the breast stroke. Walked 3 miles today with my women's group. Leg was aching but not too bad. It was nice seeing the women though. Had a breakfast with them at my friend Sue's home after. Lots of great food and conversation. Lots of good runners in this group. Happy superbowl day to all. Its like an unofficial holiday here in Mass. Laurie

Shamrock marathon March 2016. Burlington full or relay if I can find a partner May 2016. Wine and Dine half Nov. And a tri or two thrown in just for the hell of it.

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Teresa--I know that guy!! I probably am that guy Big grin and I'm sure my DW would recognize him, too. Kevin PS thanks for the good wishes from all.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

dg.

morning everybody, Laurie, I've had the same problem with swimming... any kind of kicking uses the hammies. (I agree that a flutter kick isn't quite as bad.) that's why I was trying to use the pull buoys. I bought 2 different sizes, but don't like using them. You may want to try it, though. A smaller one seems to work better with breaststroke. if all else fails, there's always pool boys. ;-) good luck to Kim. it's worn out??? what can they do about that? Hi Jem. Nice running!. have your paths been any drier? Eliz, that sounds perfect. sending you abundant good job vibes.. let us know what happens. your post made me laugh. early last april, i'd just decided on the columbus marathon... & this was during my comeback from the heart thing... I remember being on the TM, making 2 miles, & thinking, only 24 to go!! nice 6.2 you had. i just couldn't post on the monthly thread,, it's the first time I haven't. I haven't even looked at my numbers. 2, or 3 maybe. .. but I will next month. Kevin, good news about your knee. funny about DD. I'm so sorry about your DW's uncle. it's very sad. I'm sure it meant so much to him that she went to see him. warm hugs to all of you. You got all the tooth stuff right... pretty impressive, for an old guy. I can say that because I'm even older. Roll eyes Thanks, (you too, Jem).. I'm recovering. Friday & Saturday were pretty awful. There are a few complications because they wouldn't let me get my prescriptions ahead of time, had to go on the way home, which was really a mess. but nothing that won't go away. I have to agree re the running group. I guess it depends on the person, for me it wouldn't be a good idea. Mike, same thoughts from me re your mom. I know how hard that is. better stop for now, I've been working my way down the thread.... hi to anyone I missed. Linda, how are you? happy monday. game? what game?
                            "game? what game?" *&%&^ *&(*&#*() Pats! Grrrr.

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Pats, sigh. Cry I move to New England from Texas, convert to Patriotism from Cowboyism, and look what happens! 4.7 miles for me today, in 52:08. I'm getting faster without trying! Running 5 days a week is helping me so much. Horrible weather the next two days, so I guess I'll be on the treadmill. Oh, well, only 3 or 4 months until spring. Shocked
                                As I approach my 2nd "runniversary" in a just a few weeks, and my base is almost 800 miles, I "stuck my toe in the water" of speedwork today. (Like how I slipped in a beach/ocean/shore reference?) No, no, no, I'm not pushing too much. Just ran 3.1 miles and played with four 0.1-0.15 mile repeats at slightly-faster-than-slug speed with equal-length walks in between during the second mile. Of course, slightly-faster-than-slug speed feels like flying to me - which felt GREAT. I had to force myself not to over do it. I'm a little sore between running a little faster this evening and not enough stretching after the 6.2 on Saturday, so I'm being a good little girl and doing ALL of my stretches, some of them several times, this evening. Want to soak in the tub, too, but stupid me turned on the dishwasher and it takes forever and is probably sucking up all the hot water anyway. Kevin - our place is about 40 miles south of Stafford, but our main drag - Route 9 - is the same as theirs. At home, I live about 2 miles from Route 1, and when I turn north on the way to work every morning, I try to imagine turning south instead and driving all the way to Key West! I have a mile 0 sign from there on my desk at work. (Yes, it IS all about the beach.) So sorry to hear about DW's uncle - your family is in my prayers. Mike - good job on the 6. Glad the break last week made it feel good. Teresa - I don't have a bright yellow windbreaker, but I did wear my reflective shirt this evening. You look great in your photo; I'm afraid I look like a glow in the dark, yellow, female version of the michelin man! Laurie - your walk with your women's group sounds fun. Sorry about the game, er, uh, that thing last night. As a lifelong Philly-area resident, and often-disappointed former Phillies fan, I can honestly say I feel your pain. My new approach to sports is to do them myself (as long as they don't involve a ball) more and watch others do them lots less. Leads to more muscle aches but less heartache. Smile {{Deb's tooth}} Hope it's on the mend. Lots o' rain predicted for tomorrow and I have a meeting in the evening, so rest-day-fat-Tuesday for me. Eliz

flomotioncoaching.com