Masters Running

Weekly Newbies (Read 623 times)

It's late on a school night, and I've stayed up way too late over the weekend, so just a quick check-in. Glorious 5-miler on the boardwalk yesterday. Walked 1.3 in the orthotics then changed shoes for the 5 mile run. Fast for me; slow for the rest of the world. I had a hard time finding a pace that I could sustain at first, so I didn't follow through on my no-walking plan - walked 3-4 times, but only about 0.05 miles each time. Was a little over-dressed for temps in the mid-40s at first, but then the clouds rolled in and the sea breeze kicked up a little and I felt good the rest of the way. Took a break today. Feeling kind of worn out and achy all over - almost hope it's back-to-school hypochondria instead of what it feels like - the beginning of the flu. Have a good week, everyone. Smile Eliz

flomotioncoaching.com

Me

Good morning Everyone, no runs for me this morning. I did something to my achilles tendon on my 4 miler on monday. So, I think I'm going to give it a little bit before I try running on it. I hope everyone is feeling better. Mike
      dg.

good morning, when I'm this behind I never know where to start. Mike, not you too! describe it. not that I have any experience. do you have 'Lore of Running'? (Noakes) It has extensive information on AT injuries. might be worth a look. Also I still recoommend Ben Benjamin's 'Listen to your Pain' (the new version). Just because I never get better doesn't mean the books aren't good. I'm just stoopid. Eliz, I hope you don't have the flu. I'm behind on your plan. I'm working my way backward through the thread, may get there yet Wink. How are your orthotics? Laurie, a huge fine every time you say pathetic. Kevin will collect. glad your mile went well. I know another person w/ a bad hammie inury, many months now, & her pt has recenty had her start with 15 minutes, walk/run. that's after lots & lots of swimming, and pool running, & all the usual pt stuff. I know it isn't what you want. just that you have a tendency to be hard on yourself. I behaved, more or less. haven't done the start over plan yet. I did do a 2 mile walk/run mix monday evening, & it went well! another attempt this morning, not so good. but not awful. it was sore before I started. (no idea why) but I tried it anyway (no idea why). it burned a little. I apparently still can't be trusted. Teresa, you just keep setting records. Big grin. when are you skiing? Kevin, nice you & Max are getting out more. I feel awful for Sadie. We play I'm gonna get your toy in the house, & run around the back yard, but it's not enough. I'm not sure what to do when I can get out in the neighborhood again (too hilly for now), I keep seeing more & more dogs off leash, which is really frustrating. glad your piriformis (if that) cleared up so fast, maybe you just caught it in time, just like we read about in the books. -). now, what's going on with your shins? do you have a foam roller? Jem, how are you? how are your calves? I'm sorry you had that spin out... scary. but so glad you weren't hurt. did you ever say which marathon you're thinking about? how is your plan working out? I'd like to see it if you feel like sharing. Hi Roberta! Hi Linda! out of time. sorry for all I missed. be careful out there.
        Rindaroo

Thanks Laurie - those are some good suggestions. Now, just to get to the gym.. I have a membership at the Y & there is a pool, so I may just do that. You are right in the summertime, it was easier to breathe in the pool. I had lunch with John yesterday, he's been doing poolrunning - so I asked him how that worked Smile Debbie - thanks for the reminder... yes you are right & that is a better way to look at it. I just always think I need to do so much, to keep improving. But, for now, I think a better strategy is to heal the bronchs & do what I can do that won't bother them.
            Ran 3.6 miles while it was snowing late this afternoon. Couldn't help thinking that it was something I'd never even consider doing 2 years ago and how I sure missed a lot of fun for a lot of years. What I thought was the flu on Monday evening was probably the teacher's equivalent of a school-bus illness - one that begins as the school bus arrives. I was really dragged out and tired yesterday. Weird, since I had such a relaxing weekend. Back in the groove today. OK, so the possibility of another delay and/or snow day on Friday has the week looking more manageable . . . . Mike - sorry to hear about the achilles. Hope it's getting better. Deb - good luck with the return to running. Rinda - the pool sounds like a good plan for your bronchials. I remember when I was a (really bad!) figure skater through jr. high and high school - I LOVED going to the indoor rink the summertime and I think part of it was because the mist made it so much easier to breathe during allergy season, which was 12 months long for me. Hoping the today's tiny bit of snow doesn't turn into ice by tomorrow evening - I'd like to get a mile or two in tomorrow before the so-called blizzard that all of the TV stations are hyping comes crashing down upon us (or not) on Friday. Based on what some of you guys have gone through all winter, we have no clue what real winter weather is here in the mid-Atlantic. Happy Lunar Eclipse! Eliz Smile

flomotioncoaching.com

Marathon Maniac #957

Ha! So THIS is where you all have been hiding! {evil grin}...You veell not escape me now....muuuhahahahaha.... Wink

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

dg.

ARTHUR: Run away! Run away! KNIGHTS: Run away! Run away!... Shocked
                btb1490

ARTHUR: Run away! Run away! KNIGHTS: Run away! Run away!... Shocked
                  Ha! Beware the killer rabbit!
                  stumpy77

Trails are hard!

greetings to all--- late night at work, but mostly just waiting to field calls from one of the field guys that's trying to figure out something that's gone wrong with stuff I installed last month and thought was working right Roll eyes So we've been infiltrated by the outside world, aye? if it was anyone except Holly we'd have to pull a Tom White on them Big grin ARRRG prepare to repel boarders!!! No, wait, I forgot--we're a welcoming group....Sorry working late affects me badly.... found out that my internet radio can bog down our internet feed, so no more music while sitting at my desk. Fortunately I've got a good supply of saved music already on my computer, including all the solarmixes. Solarmix 2 just finished, maybe that's why I was aggressive. Wink i guess it's a little ironic that doing something that is supposed to keep you healthy is kicking the crap out of so many of us Confused hope people are healing. I took a walk with Max last night to look at the eclipse--pretty neat while it was going to full, watching the white disappear. very little tightness in the shins, so once again, I'm hoping that they're getting stronger. I'll find out tomorrow morning, when I sneak in a run before the blizzard that's supposed to show up tomorrow. Well, we didn't fix anything yet, but the field guy has to catch a plane , so time to depart. Maybe more later. Best to all , Kevin

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

dg.

Ha! Beware the killer rabbit!
                      Brother Maynard! Bring up the Holy Hand Grenade! -) Kevin, I have to agree re irony. Hope you're healing fast. listening to solarmix 8 as we speak. type. it's addictive. the lyrics provide an interesting juxtaposition to my typical work day. haven't had the nerve to hear 2 yet...
                      btb1490

Brother Maynard! Bring up the Holy Hand Grenade! -)
                        Ok, how many times have you seen the movie? Smile Now I have to go get it again! (as I gallop off making horse noises with my coconut shells to the library to rent it).

Me

Good morning Everyone, I'm assuming that since coconuts are not indiginous to this continent, they must have been brought over by swallows. Still no runs for me. Although I did do some of the exercises that are on my new circuit routine. Whoever invented planks, is evil. Pure evil. Kevin, Hopefully you don't have to fly off to Idaho to fix any problems. I think they have a little more snow out there than we do (at least in Ohio). Cheers Mike
                          dg.

Linda, you're welcome. how are you doing? Eliz, thanks. glad you aren't sick. how nice you got to run in the snow! did you get your blizzard? btb, hee. too many times. did you get it? hey, maybe a race gimmick... with coconuts. um, maybe just a 5K. the stride isn't quite right for long distances. Mike, that's just what I was thinking. but African swallow or a European swallow? oh, I forgot. African swallows are non-migratory. I'm glad you're still being careful. planks... give them some time. they are my favorite. i think you should get a stability ball. then they're even more fun. ok, Laurie, do as I say & not as I do. I just jumped in there with those tm runs, was not following one of the return to runng schedules I'm always forcing on everybody else, just thought I'd give it a try. since 2 miles worked the first day, I thought well certainly I can do that eod now. I can, but the pita is back. but I think it might be piriformis instead of hammie, because it doesn't bother me much except when I'm sitting. still. grr. I have to get back to my gym soon & see if their stoopid elipticals still hurt. I mean, if their ellipticals still hurt me. Wink Laurie, I think I asked this before, but have you tried using a pull buoy? have a great weekend
                            btb1490

dg- you beat me to Mike's post about the swallows! I'll be galloping off to the library this weekend! Could you see doing a race carrying coconuts!!!! Big grin
                                Hey all! Theresa - good runs! 7.1 - that's a long run. You're building your mileage base nicely. What an amazing amount of snow you're having. Kevin, Disney 10K sounds wonderful. I hope it works out for you. Happy to hear you're not actually falling apart. Laurie, sorry about your setback. But you're making great progress. Running one mile without pain isn't pathetic, it's glorious. Mike, I do envy you that your family is involved with your running. I'm still working on that. Good luck with the possible job changes. Hope the achilles is not a real problem. They say it's aggravated by hills, among other things. I gave up my hill route after injuring mine. It's still an issue for me, more chronic than acute. If I'm careful, and increase miles slowly, rest adequately, and STRETCH, I think I'm ok. The calf-stretching, which is helping with the calf tightness, also helps the achilles. The problems are related, I think. The tight calves put strain on the achilles. Am I making sense? Keeping the calf relaxed will help prevent achilles prob's. I'll have to look at the Noakes book, too. Thanks, Debbie. Debbie, Hi! Did you run?? Never mind, I see that you did! (I'm working my way forward through the thread.) Woo hoo! Big grin I understand the impulse to just go ahead and try to run. That's often okay if you don't push it. Linda, you're being very prudent. Baby-steps are the way to go for all of us. Build up slowly. I'm trying to get my daughter with asthma to use the treadmill at school. Progress has been made - as of now, she has gone to the gym and looked at it. Big grin Not really kidding - this is progress. If she takes a look at the environment, sees the other girls using it aren't too threatening, she may get on it one day. Eliz, you sound very upbeat. Your running is going so well. I hear you about wishing you had started sooner. But I'm just so grateful that I can run now. Glad that you've escaped the flu! We have had a pretty healthy winter here so far. BTB, I do so love Sideshow Bob. Hey Holly! I've been running. This week my miles will be lower than 20, but that's fine. My half-marathon idea is still an idea, and I haven't even focused on a race. If I can build up my miles without really aggravating the achilles, I'll hunt around for a 10-miler or half in the spring. Debbie, I started to go into my training plan, but it became too convoluted and I deleted it. In short, though, I build up slowly, with 5 runs/week, lengthening the Saturday run till I hit about 30 miles a week. Then there's a taper for a non-existent half-marathon 2 weeks later. (If I actually choose a race, I'll have to modify things.) Then the marathon plan begins and builds in the same way from 20 mpw to a high of 42 in October. My fantasy race is the Marine Corps Marathon. Well, the family is waking up, and ds needs his turn on the computer. I'm going to run this a.m. if it's not icy. Wishing you all good runs, rests, rehabs. Enjoy your weekend!