Masters Running

Sunday Nov 5 into the dark! (Read 35 times)

mrrun

A special start for our coastwalker!

Mike E

MM #5615

He deserves his own special start.

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone, and Marj and Mike.

Thanks, Marj. Yep, that's me - just out for a walk...

Saturday’s workouts:
        Jlynne (1 hour on the elliptical + 30 min of weights & core)
        RunnerKSA (15 morning miles, including 2 with a local half marathon in 63° with H)
        Pfriese (10 miles on river trails with the running group)
        Marj/Henrun (5K race {with AG hardware for Marj} then pub lunch)
        Deeze (5.2 good conversational miles then coffee with the Sole Sisters)
        Catwhoorg (11 miles)
        Tammy (10.5 afternoon miles)
        Falconfixer (7 pre “sucking silicone” morning miles)

Surly Bill (4.5 EZ miles)

Mike (8 morning, pre-meet miles)

Mariposai (4 post-budget work & cake-decorating miles)

Evanflein (4.1 TM pre-garage clean-up miles)

RunnerKSA, on a workout 2 years ago, I also jumped into a local half for a few miles, then peeled off when it got to my driveway (I'm sure that confused a few of the racers). I didn’t feel I was bandidting because it was on one of my regular workout routes, and I didn’t do anything I wouldn't have done if I was on my own. But it was fun!

Tramps, I didn’t read the essay on a pill that might make exercise obsolete because I just don’t believe in going that route.

Opus 77, yes, civil political discussion is absolutely possible. Just bottle the emotions, and unbottle the wine!

Tammy, did David get to clean the brownie pan? Lessons learned… Congrats to him/you on the acceptance from OSU.

I had a delightful meet-up yesterday with Marj (and her DD and GS), Henrun, and Stumpy before & after the Race For All Ages 5K. I was a little jealous of Stumpy (not racing) hanging around with a cuppa coffee! Even though I was racewalking, I was 6/11 in my AG, but would have fared worse in the 70-74 and 75-79 AGs - those guys are FAST!

I went 6.95 EZ RW miles in 43° under overcast skies with some gustyness. I have a few hundred thousand more leaves to move to the back of the property, and lots of fallen twigs and branches from Monday's storm to get into the kindling bins, so it'll be a busy day.

Have a greta Sunday (whatever time you are on)!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Henrun

The meet-up was the best part of the morning for me. I can’t seem to muster any kind of speed in a race and would have been even slower had Marj not have run me in for the last half mile. But just being there and seeing many of my 65+ friends was also great fun. This morning I took advantage of the time change and did a 2.5 mile *recovery run*. Now on to the Sunday papers and a fun Sunday.

Morning, all.  I like the lighter mornings!      Actually, I ran the whole half marathon route with them, but their start was my 3 mile point and then I finished 2 miles short of their finish.  Yeah- when a race is on a public trail and not crowded, it doesn't seem like banditing.  I just didn't need to be racing yesterday. 

3.3 miles this morning to end a 44 mile week, which is high for me.  Running the Monkey remains a possibility, although I had pretty much decided I was finished with marathons for awhile.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

Quickadder

After yesterday’s 6 mile 10K race - full details in the race report thread - a pleasant 8 miles on the trails this morning. Now watching the early stages of the NYCM before heading off for a family brunch.

Started running at age 60.

AG 60-64 PR - 5K 25:45, 10K 53:28, HM 1:57:39, Marathon 4:32:09

AG 65-69 PR - 5K 26:11, HM 2:02:39, Marathon 5:04:47

7.5 miles  at 8:59 pace for longest run of the year.  Set out for 6 or so, but kept going a bit longer because all felt well.  Progress.  Best week of the year too, though only 21 miles,

Coastwalker - great pic.  I agree the civil discourse is possible.  I just avoid it with family because I consider myself more centrist and they are definitely on the edge of the spectrum.  We don't discuss politics or religion!  I like your approach though with emotion and wine!

RunnerKSA - great week!

Quick - course was a bit short?  I'll check out your RR

Falcon - I must admit, I get petty pleasure out of driving by the CW set ups on base and watching folks suck rubber.  It usually happens when I'm thinking how much I miss the job and the people - the sight of chem gear snaps me back to reality!

News item - the RW refugees who are here or are lurking know that I was going through a fairly stressful year, not knowing if my contract with the USAF would be renewed and trying to decide if I could survive early retirement financially.  Well, we were just awarded the new contract for another 6 years, so now I can work if I want and leave when I want.  So I'll aim for another 2-3 years and then be done.  Kind of a compromise.  But a lot of stress is gone now.  It didn't help that I couldn't run (PF) during the most stressful period.

Enjoy the day Masters and I hope all the races went well.

spacityrunner

That is good news Opus.  

Love the East Coast RA Meetups...one of these days...

Headed out at early this morning in 71f and 96% humidity to run the trails on Hot Springs Mountain.  8.5 miles and I feel like toast...there was no speed and a few hills...We did a split run...6.5 then one of the gals had to leave so we stopped and said our see ya's, then some of us headed out for another 2.  Now it is misting...still humid...and I think I will nap 

Trails Rock!

Dave59

Glad the stress is reduced Opus77.

I've been having trouble sleeping and I've been burned out at work.  I took Friday off to get a 3-day weekend and I have not taken my work laptop out my bag. I think I need more like a 14 day break but not enough vacation days left this year to swing it. What's really funny is that my current favorite comic strip is about this exact topic today:

Pearls before swine - 11/5//201

So I ran the Marshall Half Marathon this morning.  Maybe my worst race ever although there is a lot of competition for that title so who knows?

I met up with 2 people who are friends with Holly (Tara & Renee).  I had met Tara at a race in Charlevoix, MI two and a half years ago. (Or as Tag calls the place - "Charley Boy")  For the new folks, Tag is a dog that used to post here pretty often with his owner SteveP.

Another personal worst by over 5 minutes with a 2:28:51 time.  First 5.5 miles felt great and then everything fell apart. Sore calves, back & neck, and just about zero energy.  I knew I wasn't in the best shape but I thought I'd finish 8-10 minutes better than that.

Marathon Maniac #957

Jay - Great picture!  Must have been a fast crowd, because I know you are really speedy.

Opus - well done on your longest run of the year, and congrats on getting the new contract.  My nephew works for WPAFB and goes through the same stress every couple of years about whether or not his teams contract will be renewed.

Erika - bummer that you have all that snow and ice already.  It definitely takes me a while to get into the cold weather mode.

Dave - I'm right there with you re: work burnout.  There's a commercial on TV that has someone's boss yelling at her in her sleep, "I want an answer to my email before you wake up!"  Lots of days feel like that.  Very cool that you were able to meet up with Renee and Tara.  I ran with them a couple of weeks ago and forgot that race was this weekend.

Today was unexpectedly warm - mid 60's - ahead of the thunderstorms that held off for my run and will arrive in a couple of hours.  Just a light drizzle at the start and very humid, but otherwise lovely.

17 miles total.

That pace bunny is ahead of me by 13 miles, but I will work to catch up in the next couple of weeks.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

pfriese

12 miles on the trails this morning.

spacityrunner

One of these days Paul we will run the same trails together!  You'll have to slow down some to keep up with me 

12 miles on the trails this morning.

Trails Rock!

Holly, Dave, spacity - thanks.  Lots of weight off the shoulders.

Hooray for Shalane!!  Good job my Meb too.

Last mowing of the year is done (I think)!

catwhoorg

Labrat

7 for me, less than I hoped for.

On the plus side -  fireworks get lit off tonight. I got a great deal, and I was literally thr only guy in the store yesterday and I think the salesman was bored and wanting the company.

5K  20:23  (Vdot 48.7)   9/9/17

10K  44:06  (Vdot 46.3)  3/11/17

HM 1:33:48 (Vdot 48.6) 11/11/17

FM 4:13:43 (Vdot 35.4) 3/4/18

mrrun

Holly and others - yes, this race brings out the very fast older crowd - primarily on the men's side.

MALE AGE GROUP:  65 - 69
                                    1    19 Bob Giambalvo       68 Delhi              NY   20:16 
                                    2    36 Bill Cotter         67 Gilford            NH   22:42 
                                    3    78 Jack Shirley        65 Beverly            MA   27:01 
                                    4   121 Skip Ciccarelli     69 Royalston          MA   29:55 
                                    5   150 Joel Weddig         68 Waltham            MA   32:14 

MALE AGE GROUP:  70 - 74
                                    1    33 David Ritchie       70 Seabrook           NH   22:36 
                                    2    43 Rick Bayko          70 West Newbury       MA   23:13 
                                    3    49 Ken Houle           70 Milton             NH   23:55 
                                    4    60 Richard Paulsen     74 Woburn             MA   24:42 
                                    5    64 David Pember        74 Medfield           MA   25:27 

MALE AGE GROUP:  75 - 79
                                    1    77 John Boness         77 Andover            MA   26:56 
                                    2    82 Andrew Lewis        77 Lexington          MA   27:17 
                                    3    85 Robert Sullivan     75 Brookline          MA   27:28 
                                    4    86 Michael Pelletier   75 Salem              MA   27:35 
                                    5    96 Rich Rudert         79 Providence         RI   28:16 

MALE AGE GROUP:  80 - 84
                                    1    65 Michael Mayr        81 Saugus             MA   25:30 
                                    2   165 Jim Green           84 Marblehead         MA   34:29 
                                    3   178 Dick Kuhl           82 Bedford            NH   37:02 
                                    4   179 Charles Murphy      82 Hudson             MA   37:35 
                                    5   181 Clyde Wilder        80 Needham            MA   37:47